1 2 3 4
mtn
mtn MegaDork
5/6/13 12:06 p.m.

My grandpa, who is 88 and in surprisingly good health, is also in very good spirits overall. His wife of 65 years has lung cancer but is doing very good considering, and they've both come to terms that they are [probably] going to die soon. It appears though that the thing that is troubling my grandpa the most is that his current car will be his last one. He won't be renewing his drivers license, and he was never really happy with the car--a brand new Toyota Avalon. The thing is nice, easily the nicest car he's owned in a field of Cadillacs, Lincolns, Buicks, and Jaguars. But he doesn't like it cause it is just a Toyota. He was pining after a Bentley on Sunday.

So I was thinking, I want to check every car off my list. I need to get started. I need to write a list. I'm leaving off the standard Ferrari/Lambo's. That is assumed, but probably not realistic, like my grandpa's Bentley.

• I want a Pony/Muscle car. Mustang or Camarobird or something else, doesn't really matter. Year doesn't either.
  • Corvette. 'Nuff said.
  • Supercar of some sort. Likely going to be an NSX or Pantera, since the Ferrari's and the like will likely not be feasible.
  • Something from every major car country. So far I've done USA, Japan, Germany, and Sweden. I still need Italy, Britian, and Korea.
  • Porsche. Same as the Corvette.
  • Gigantic luxury cruiser. Maybe a coupe.
  • Something AWD, since it is the only one I'm missing.
  • Something rear engined
  • Something mid engined
  • A 20's-30's hot rod. 34 Ford Pickup would be awesome.
  • A Ute. An original El Camino or Ranchero would be ideal.

List is probably not complete, and a lot of that stuff can overlap, but that is what I'm starting with and what I want to achieve by the time I hang up the keys. How about you guys?

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
5/6/13 12:10 p.m.

Classic muscle car, maybe an "oddball" like a Nova, Chevelle, Fairlane, Charger.... Not just a pony car.
C5 Corvette
Pinto Wagon

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
5/6/13 12:11 p.m.

My list

Ranchero
TR6
Jag MKII (I am kinda afraid that will always be just out of reach though)
A turbo car with retarded amount of power
A big Caddy
MB 6.9
Also small European car (original 500, 600, Mini, Imp, Saab 96, etc)
'70 AMC Rebel

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
5/6/13 12:13 p.m.

I've checked off the Porsche from my list, as well as something British. I've actually checked off quite a few now that I'm thinking about it. Here's what's left:
Another Miata.
Another Jeep (that'll make 15).
Corvette
One car from every decade I've been alive for after 1940, I've checked off the 40's, 70's, 80's, 90's, 2000's.
I want a corvair
Mustang
Italian
Something Italian, Alfa more than likely

mtn
mtn MegaDork
5/6/13 12:15 p.m.

Oohhh, missed the British and a Ute. Added to the list

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
5/6/13 12:16 p.m.

Corvair, 930T, Z3M coupe, and a MGB GT.

If I can pull those off, I'll be a very happy person.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
5/6/13 12:17 p.m.
Ranger50 wrote: Pinto Wagon

Buy this one: http://www.crankyape.com/default.asp?pg=DispSingleItem&ItemNumber=41104

Travis_K
Travis_K UberDork
5/6/13 12:17 p.m.

As far as realistic cars, maserati quattroporte III and Biturbo, Citroën SM, jaguar xjr. Unrealistic, Aston Martin lagonda, Lamborghini Espada, and maybe a pantera and a fiat abarth 1000 or 1300 coupe.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
5/6/13 12:21 p.m.
mtn wrote:
Ranger50 wrote: Pinto Wagon
Buy this one: http://www.crankyape.com/default.asp?pg=DispSingleItem&ItemNumber=41104

really want a 79 or 80. lol

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/6/13 12:23 p.m.

I wondering whether I can thin my list by learning more or getting some drives.

My WRX would have been on my list if I hadn't owned it, but while it is a good DD and a good car, there's nothing very "special" about it.

It's puzzling that I haven't owned anything British, and I expect to fix that. The missing Italian element is less weird from a personality standpoint (mine), but I'd like to try that, too.

Once I get the Ranchero fettled, we'll see whether I have any need to further play with V8-powered lumps of American iron. If so, either Mustang or Camaro (I have Ford leanings, but am also a big Dead Milkmen fan, so a Bitchin' Camaro would be hilarious).

The cars I dream about most and most-fervently are my own creations, based on existing cars or otherwise.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UberDork
5/6/13 12:24 p.m.

I just ticked a big one off my list with the MR2: "Car with engine in non-standard location".

• Corvette
  • Something turbo'd (somehow I've gone my entire life only owning N/A cars)
  • Miata (still never had one of my own)
  • Overpowered Landyacht (S/C'd Crown Vic? LS2 Roadmaster wagon? Built 460 in a late '70s Thunderbird?)
  • BMW M-car (E34 is top of list).
  • Something I've built myself (CA makes this a hair more difficult if I want it to be street legal)
JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas SuperDork
5/6/13 12:31 p.m.

I'd love to own a Pantera at some point, but don't know how realistic that is.

In terms of cars I will own at some point:

'40 Ford Tudor - rusty old-school rod

'70 Toyota Crown - Japo pro-touring treatment

Ducat SR4

Datsun 240Z - track rat ?

I know where the first two are, and know for sure that the Ford is mine if I want to haul it out of the ditch. Just need to get to a point in my life that I can justify storing a couple more cars.

Edit to add classic Skyline to my unrealistic list.

calteg
calteg Dork
5/6/13 12:34 p.m.

V8 Locost

Supra

Original FJ

IS-F

aircooled 911 (i keep going back and forth on this one, I've driven several, and just don't "get it", but I'll feel like a bad car guy if I don't ever own one)

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/6/13 12:36 p.m.

My list isn't about individual cars but rather types of cars. Which cars can fill that role changes too much.

Small, lightweight, awesome-looking, low/med powered MR: Elise/Exige or FFR 818. I think I'm ready to drop an AW11 from this list with most of them having returned to the earth and parts getting crazy-hard to find. The 818 is a perfect match except for the awesome-looking part.

Medium-sized serious go-anywhere 4x4: Modded live-axle Toyota Pickup (Hilux) or custom-built based on FJ-series parts. Think I might have to drop the Hilux soon.

High-powered small/medium-sized MR with serious aero: Custom? This one might not be realistic.

Overpowered go-kartish thing with serious aero, boost, geeked out with tech toys: Maybe a used LeGrand or FSAE car?

Oh and one more, a smallish AWD boosted rally car. A 2.5RS or 323GTX could fit the bill. Maybe an AWD Celica.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/6/13 12:37 p.m.

Something British

Something Italian

Corvette

Z-car

Something with AWD and a turbocharger

Something that's stupid-fast (12s or faster in the quarter)

A classic muscle car of some kind (thinking first-gen Cougar here)

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
5/6/13 12:41 p.m.

I needed to own a 911 and bought that a few months ago. I needed a piece of American muscle, and I think the 68 wagon about to be shipped to me will fill that role nicely with the 390 in it. I still need:
Jeep of some vintage.
Second gen camaro/firebird, probably early 70's.
Something I build myself from scratch. This doesn't actually have to be a car. Might be a motorcycle, might be a boat, might be a rock crawler or a motorhome or......something that starts with raw materials and ends up with awesome.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/6/13 12:46 p.m.

Left on the board:

• Matra Muerna/Bagheera
  • Lancia Scorpion
  • Lotus Eclat
  • Hillman Imp
  • Maserati Merak
  • Benz 190D 2.5
  • Ferrari 308 GT4
  • Rover SD-1
  • Something with a V12
  • Rover 3500S
  • Benz AMG 500E
  • Benz 6.9 SEL
  • Fiat 131
  • AW11 SC

Accomplished:

• Maserati Bitrouble
  • Alfa Romeo Milano
  • Merkur XR4ti
  • Fiat X1/9
  • E30
  • Yugo
  • Crazy Volvo Wagon
  • Z Car (260Z)
  • S12 200SX
  • Toyota Supra
  • Ford Focus (also checked the NEW car box)
  • Taurus SHO
  • RWD Celica
Type Q
Type Q SuperDork
5/6/13 12:50 p.m.

Something with six cylinders. I have never owned a car with more than four.

scardeal
scardeal SuperDork
5/6/13 12:54 p.m.

letsee... realistically I'd like to own
- Corvette (2000 C5 FRC is top pick at the moment)
- Miata
- non-street legal track/autox car
- something that makes me giggle when I see snow or a dirt road
- Camaro, 3rd or 4th gen

semi-realistic
- GT-R of some sort

Accomplished
- BMW 3-series
- Z-Car
- magic spinning triangles

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
5/6/13 12:58 p.m.

Let's see... I've already covered:

V8 Boat ( 70 Impala sedan)

POny car ( 05 Mustang)

brand new cars ( Mustang, 2014 Maz6)

Things I still want to own:

AC VW, probably a bug

a convertible

a 4x4 knockaround - jeep, scout, type1 bronc...

a kit car

something gutted and built for track with no heed for streetability

Note that several on that list could be combined - a track-built otter, or a 4x4 jeep both hit the 'vert check as well. a track-built FF cobra checks three...

I'd love to own a Ferrari of some sort, but that's pretty unrealistic, even the cheap ones.

ArthurDent
ArthurDent HalfDork
5/6/13 1:16 p.m.

I'm slowly working on my list:

3 cyl car:

4 cyl car: check - had many

6 cyl car: check - had many

8 cyl car: check - Z28 and Dodge van

12 cyl car:

Boxer style engine - check - '62 Beetle

Inline six: check - Jeep Cherokee, Ford Falcon

Diesel: check - Mercedes 220D

Rotary: check - Rx-7

Turbo:

British car: check many

German: check - Mercedes and Volkswagan

Italian:

French:

American: check - many

Asian: check - many

East European: check - Lada Niva

Convertible: check - Triumph Spitfire

4x4: check - many

Mid engined:

Rear engined: Check - Beetle

Truck: check - Mazda B2000

Kit car: check

Hot Rod:

Vintage Car:

Classic pickup:

Lotus of some sort:

Micro car:

That is probably it but I tend to buy whatever I find interesting at the time.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
5/6/13 1:23 p.m.

How do you have a 3 cylinder on there and not a 5 cylinder?

Sky_Render
Sky_Render SuperDork
5/6/13 1:34 p.m.

I've stopped making bucket lists, because I'm a pessimistic son of a biscuit who realizes that it will never be achieved.

That being said, I really want to own a Mark IV Supra Turbo one day.

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/6/13 1:35 p.m.

If I am going to get through much of a list, I've gotta stop adding so many repeats to my "accomplished" list.

I've had three Rabbits, three 2002s, and three Falcons (two Rancheros and a two-door sedan).

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
5/6/13 1:36 p.m.

I don't have a "must own" list. I'm pretty happy with what I have now. I'd like to own a hachi-roku someday, maybe a 510 or an early skyline (hakosuka, kenmeri) and my challenge car will likely lead to some stupid interpretation of a mazda B2200 eventually.... but if I died today I won't have any ""I wish i'd bought xxx car" regrets.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Yc3IzTkVJjOzbHvvR6TYLTvtrTlCgcaR9vcfeKJXn3lmfjzGV7q1Vq48wbo2PsPq