1 2
QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/6/24 11:59 a.m.

What FWD NA car has a factory limited slip? 

The FWD class around here has three vehicles commonly used: Focus, Cobalt sedan, Corolla sedan. 

I watched a kid in a Focus sedan drive around the field in 25 laps. Started in the rear, got to the front and then proceeded to drive around the field again. It was ridiculous. He was a grown man playing against tiddlers that night. 

jfryjfry
jfryjfry UltraDork
6/6/24 12:09 p.m.

It says steel racing wheels are allowed but says nothing of offset.  Get some crazy neg offset wheels. 

or, I wonder if there is an advantage to having positive offset wheels on the inside? If so, you could get the steel wheels, run them so they stick out on the outside and flip the inside ones to honor the "must run same wheels" rule.....

Tk8398
Tk8398 HalfDork
6/6/24 12:40 p.m.
adam525i said:

Sentra Spec V is worth looking at, engine is a 2.5i that you can find in a bunch of other stuff and the standard trans has an LSD in it. My friends rallycross one but have two spares as they are cheap.

Aren't the transmissions in those really bad?  I'm pretty sure I remember when they were new someone ran one at the SCCA nationals and won their class but just that was enough to have to rebuild the transmission after the event.

calteg
calteg SuperDork
6/6/24 1:13 p.m.

2004 3.5 VQ Swapped Nissan Sentra Race Caar| Cars For Sale forum | (grassrootsmotorsports.com)

Compact car with an n/a V6. Heck, it even has a cage already. 

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
6/6/24 2:03 p.m.

I'm familiar with Dixie Speedway - I'm glad it reopened this year.

So, I'm hearing the hot setup is a K-Series engine, either in a hatch or an Acura RSX.

However, if following the leader isn't your thing, continue the brainstorming. laugh

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/6/24 3:03 p.m.

I watched a race at Oglethorpe speedway, outside Savannah, before it closed down a couple years ago.  Hondas were definitely the hot ticket there.   

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
6/6/24 3:22 p.m.

Infiniti G20?

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
6/6/24 3:34 p.m.
QuasiMofo (John Brown) said:

I watched a kid in a Focus sedan drive around the field in 25 laps. Started in the rear, got to the front and then proceeded to drive around the field again. It was ridiculous. He was a grown man playing against tiddlers that night. 

I did something like that one night racing a similar class, but with a little more prep allowed.

I had managed to get in a very lengthy practice session just before the season started and found an absolutely incredible tire and suspension setup. The first night of the season I was not only the fastest I'd ever been, but in mid season shape, and walked away with the feature lapping the entire field twice. I did it again the second week, only not nearly as bad.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
6/6/24 4:55 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

I'll come crew for you when you are ready. 😊

chaparral
chaparral GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/6/24 4:58 p.m.

A Nissan Altima 3.5 will have overdog power - as long as you can get it to the ground, and get it to rotate into the corners. It'll be more stable so a looser setup will work. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
6/6/24 5:30 p.m.

Here's a 2008 G5 with the 2.2l Ecotech ready to race for $2600. 

https://www.facebook.com/share/hgosqNGgyuB1X3zm/?mibextid=79PoIi

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/6/24 7:22 p.m.

Most of the tracks I've been to the popular cars are Cavaliers, Cobalts, and late 90s Civics.  From what I've seen, if you're only prep other than safety equipment is just making sure it's reliable you'll be in good shape.  It seems a lot of them start out pretty tired and on a tight budget and most of there life is spent turning a few laps until the tiredest part fails, repair, repeat. Beyond that as much negative camber as you can get on the outside, a bit of positive on inside.  Most seem to be automatics, it doesn't really hurt on an oval where you'll stay in one gear all the time anyway. 

nuthunmuch
nuthunmuch New Reader
6/6/24 10:21 p.m.

Those rules are awfully vague. How do they define what is a "hi-performance engine" ? And how do they classify compact vs mid size cars (since they're excluding larger cars)?

Gonna be tough to beat a K20 or K24 powered car for stock 4cyl power (assuming they are legal). Altima coupe with V6 would be fast too.

When the track gets blue-grooved don't be afraid to try a 200tw performance tire (if allowed). We run Falken RT615k+ on my brother's mini stock Neon and it works well once the track dries out.

Try adjusting right rear toe out if you need more rotation in the corner.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
6/7/24 1:15 p.m.

V6 Eclipse or Stratus coupe comes to mind.

Incidently, their engine is a hotter version of the V6 found in many K-car derivatives like the Dodge Shadow, although good luck finding a supply of V6 K-cars these days. Not sure what the external differences are, if any....

gixxeropa
gixxeropa GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/9/24 4:31 p.m.

put any more thought into this? I've seen some people saying they spend about 2k a season on the stinger class, which would be nice to get some affordable racing in in between nearby SCCA events

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
7/9/24 6:43 p.m.

In reply to gixxeropa :

I say give it a try if you're itching to race. The only other advice I have is walk the pit area and observe the cars in the class and what they're doing before diving in. I'm not sure how open the competitors will be, as sport compact racers can be a bit closed to exposing all their secrets. However, some might be welcoming to help you get into the division and have fun. 

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/9/24 9:17 p.m.

I caught a race at Golden Isles Speedway in south GA over the weekend.  All Honda hatchbacks on the podium. I don't know what engines but they were revving to the moon. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qQLaBy5nlaIhob9LPf1r1UKAYKk9Ia4g8fhR1uHQBsRtnqH7i02WoxuN73ZxEvwg