1 2
travellering
travellering Dork
6/15/23 4:59 a.m.

Dark and Lotus brings one thing to mind for me...

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
6/15/23 6:01 a.m.

I hate to say it, but for a seven you are going to street drive, bright eye shattering florescents. It's a safety measure. Loud colors save lives.

msterbeau
msterbeau Reader
6/16/23 5:54 p.m.

In reply to Apexcarver :

That's what the noisy exhaust is for.  :-)

msterbeau
msterbeau Reader
6/16/23 5:56 p.m.
travellering said:

Dark and Lotus brings one thing to mind for me...

If I ever did a JPS car I would probably reverse the color scheme. As much as I like dark spooky things, I am even more of a contrarian. If you do the thing, I will do something else.  :-)

msterbeau
msterbeau Reader
6/16/23 5:59 p.m.
Appleseed said:

If you had the guts, bass boat metalflake. I don't know if it's ever been done on a 7.

I feel like the answer to that is yes, but I can't remember ever seeing it myself.  I'm pretty sure I don't want to get into the hassle and expense of a custom paint job.  Whatever i do will be something that can be done at the factory, though likely with some graphics applied after the build is done.  I will very likely paint or powder coat the wheels though.  

msterbeau
msterbeau Reader
6/16/23 6:07 p.m.

In reply to MyMiatas :

That's supposed to be Volcano Red which is probably the "fanciest" red available from the factory.  It seems to be a bit megenta-ish in most photos but if it's direct sunlight it seems to warm up quite a bit.  One of the things I need to ask the dealer is if they have color chips available.  I feel like the configurator really isn't very accurate.  On screen colors never are.

msterbeau
msterbeau Reader
6/16/23 6:13 p.m.

I have a zillion layers in the Photoshop file at this point.  Color options.  Graphic options.  Wheel ideas.  Etc...

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/16/23 7:39 p.m.
msterbeau said:
Appleseed said:

If you had the guts, bass boat metalflake. I don't know if it's ever been done on a 7.

I feel like the answer to that is yes, but I can't remember ever seeing it myself.  I'm pretty sure I don't want to get into the hassle and expense of a custom paint job.  Whatever i do will be something that can be done at the factory, though likely with some graphics applied after the build is done.  I will very likely paint or powder coat the wheels though.  

If it was done, it was probably done in the 70's on a Series 4.

msterbeau
msterbeau Reader
6/16/23 9:11 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I did a quick search online.  I got lots of images with Caterham and Lotus Sevens and lots of images with things painted in metal flake - But not a Caterham or Lotus painted in metal flake.  cheeky

bumpsteer
bumpsteer Reader
6/16/23 9:39 p.m.

If you are in the Detroit area you may consider contacting Averill Racing Stuff in Madison Heights. Last time I was there he had a couple Sevens there and an original Eleven resto ongoing.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/f4TCfGDHVdx9dXz28

ztnedman1
ztnedman1 Reader
6/17/23 6:17 a.m.

In Forza I ran mine in a balsa wood grain wrap with black accents/wheels :)

MyMiatas
MyMiatas HalfDork
6/18/23 11:06 p.m.
MyMiatas said:

yes  With a candy apple red three stage paint! 

I was thinking this color.

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
6/19/23 12:58 a.m.

Mazda has a wonderful metallic red, be sure to check it out, especially in the sun!

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/19/23 8:59 a.m.

The other black and white stripes was too regular.  (Or was that white and black stripes?)

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/19/23 11:39 a.m.
msterbeau said:

I did a quick search online.  I got lots of images with Caterham and Lotus Sevens and lots of images with things painted in metal flake - But not a Caterham or Lotus painted in metal flake.  cheeky

Close enough.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/19/23 12:35 p.m.

I didn't realize that the "Homer" was a real car.

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/19/23 12:44 p.m.

This thread was right next to the snowmabile thread in my feed.

Is anyone into Johnson/Evinrude Rotary Powered Snowmobiles?

Snowmobile rotary powered Super 7? laugh  

msterbeau
msterbeau Reader
6/20/23 10:21 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

I didn't realize that the "Homer" was a real car.

There are probably a scary amount of them if my decades on the internet are anything to go by... 

msterbeau
msterbeau Reader
6/20/23 10:21 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:
msterbeau said:

Close enough.

laugh

msterbeau
msterbeau Reader
6/20/23 10:24 a.m.
Noddaz said:

This thread was right next to the snowmabile thread in my feed.

Is anyone into Johnson/Evinrude Rotary Powered Snowmobiles?

Snowmobile rotary powered Super 7? laugh  

The outboard motor route seems tempting given the crazy output of some of them, and their small size.

msterbeau
msterbeau Reader
6/20/23 10:26 a.m.

In reply to bumpsteer :

I haven't seen Keith in a long time, assuming he still owns the business.  I'll check in with them... 

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
6/20/23 9:18 p.m.

Well it's not a Caterham, but you can put an LS in it

And it's for sale right now

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1440796462853330/permalink/3362052500727707/

bumpsteer
bumpsteer Reader
6/20/23 10:21 p.m.

In reply to msterbeau :

It's been at least 2 years since I went, so couldn't tell ya

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/21/23 9:51 a.m.

https://racecarsdirect.com/Advert/Details/137922/caterham-blackbird-hayabusa-rolling-chassis--

Popped up in my news feed. Can't quite tell but might be a metal flake in that red!

MyMiatas
MyMiatas HalfDork
6/21/23 10:02 p.m.

Color?? How about this??

Photography credit Rupert Berrington

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
V6oBKY0dgrCxqRGgejUkikpXVD5WxpaVKJl2VkjIOZsQmvAX6aVYENxnvNnzmbxy