1 2
M030
M030 Dork
9/5/16 3:53 p.m.

After reading about "Curmudgeon" in the latest (November) issue of Grassroots, I as was moved by what a great community the people of this GRM board is. The article also struck a chord with me because I’ve got a garage, basement and a storage unit packed with automotive debris that would be a tremendous burden on my family, were I to fall off the perch. Unfortunately, this wasn’t just a random morbid thought; I’m battling stage four brain cancer right now. So, I’m thinking of having a life simplification sale, where in I open the doors to my automotive stockpiles to just GRM board users, and just for one day. Prices on all parts will be whatever you think is fair; it will all go to my son’s college (or tech school) education fund. Here is a rough idea of what you’ll find there:

• Boxes and boxes of random Porsche 944 small parts

• . A 1987 Porsche 944 5-speed transaxle

• Random air-cooled VW Beetle debris, mostly common 1970s light lenses, dash knobs, steel wheel rims and other random small bits

• Two sets of Porsche front seats; one pair of black leather seats in good shape, except for some bolster wear, from a 1988 944 and a pair of black vinyl/corduroy seats that were sloppily reupholstered but supposedly came out of a 1976 Euro Carrera 3.0L 911 (I bought them at a swap meet, so the Carrera story might be BS)

There is also some random watercooled VW stuff, like a 1990 Digifant fuel pump, a 1992 1.8L 8V head that was planed, and, I’m not sure what else,

There are also some miscellaneous 1997-9 Boxster parts that are left over from a parts car I had

I’ve been accumulating this debris since I was about fifteen. Frequent junkyard trips (in the early 1990s), a job at a foreign car repair grease pit, big dreams and an adult life spent playing with the cheapest Porsches I could find has culminated in this pile of debris I don’t want to burden my family with, should I lose the battle (I’m not going to lose, so if my Life simplification sale goes well, I’ll have room for better stuff)

Who would be interested in automotive dumpster diving at my place?

• Brian
Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
9/5/16 4:04 p.m.

You're always best to price the stuff at a fair price. I never know what to offer folks and I don't like insulting folks. Sounds like a good idea.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non Dork
9/5/16 4:19 p.m.
Datsun310Guy wrote: You're always best to price the stuff at a fair price. I never know what to offer folks and I don't like insulting folks. Sounds like a good idea.

QFT

M030
M030 Dork
9/5/16 4:21 p.m.

I can just price the stuff at fair/low prices, if that's a more attractive thing. Prices, however, are irrelevant if no one has any interest in coming and checking the stuff out.

M030
M030 Dork
9/5/16 4:34 p.m.

The reason I said the price would just be whatever you think is fair, is because the money is secondary to the parts going to good people who can use them. I'm also not selling any parts that pertain to my current projects. I have most of the parts I need for my beetle in duplicate and triplicate, I will probably never build another 944, and the leftover Boxster stuff I have is all stuff my insurance company would replace, if my car were to get damaged (door mirrors, glass, dashboard, things like that). My strange collection of foreign car parts would be an absolute mecca for someone building a street rod, kit car or other custom-built-from-scratch car

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
9/5/16 4:40 p.m.

If I were anywhere close I'd come pick through things and I'm sure we'd trade $.
The estate sale thing is a real concern. I watched my wife's family spend over a year dealing with a lifetime of stuff. It can take a toll. Good on you for wanting to take on some of that burden yourself and continue to let us know how we can help.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Reader
9/5/16 4:44 p.m.

So sorry to hear about that..... What a game-changer.

It would help to post where you're located as some of us don't know where all the treasure is kept

M030
M030 Dork
9/5/16 4:56 p.m.
jfryjfry wrote: So sorry to hear about that..... What a game-changer. It would help to post where you're located as some of us don't know where all the treasure is kept

It's hardly a treasure , but it's stored in Amherst, MA 01002. In addition, if any of you need specific parts, let me know sooner rather than later, and I will look to see if I have them. If I do, I will send them out and you pay only shipping.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
9/5/16 5:12 p.m.

Wow, heavy news.
Here's the best to ya!

Looks like you've got a plan. Wise.

Will you be able to get to The Challenge?

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/5/16 5:55 p.m.

Hay Brian.

You know the motor you have of mine. If the deal to sell it works out put half the $$$$ in your sons education fund and take the other half and you and your wife spend it doing fun things with your son for a weekend.

I just realized that I had forgotten about the deal we made and because of that it would make me happy to have you use the proceeds from that motor in that manor.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/5/16 5:57 p.m.

Damn, man. I wish this stuff would stop. Please get better. You're one of the good guys...

Among your Boxster parts, have you got any 18 inch wheels? Also, I don't have a car for the black leather seats, but I'd be willing to take a peek at them.

sesto elemento
sesto elemento SuperDork
9/5/16 6:48 p.m.

I can't begin to convey to you guys what a good dude Brian is, he's been a Very good friend to me and does inspirational work with the kids we work with. Couldn't happen to a better man. This whole thing sucks, let's help him make it suck less.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
9/5/16 7:07 p.m.

Brian, I'm sorry to hear about your current battle. Kick its ass for all of us!

For my part, too far away and too "not Miata" for me to come paw through your collected treasures. I did live in Amherst once upon a time I was a UMass student and collegiate cheerleader. Nice place!

dean1484
9/5/16 7:18 p.m.

Brian

You don't happen to have a good set of fuel lines. I had a "moment" today moving the 924s. I was misting fuel over my motor while moving it on the starter while hooked to a booster. Ya almost had a carbecue.

dean1484
9/5/16 7:18 p.m.

I got photos.

tr8todd
tr8todd Dork
9/5/16 7:25 p.m.

I am what you might call a hoarder. There is probably more used Triumph TR8 parts in my garage/attic/basement, car tent than anywhere on earth. There are 6 of the 2800 ever made in the garage now. A buddy of mine has a smaller but similar stash. He is 75. The other day he said something about leaving everything he has to me after he dies. My wife overheard him and said "Oh no, you had better die before him" She was referring to me. I have had similar visions of my wife and kids being burdened with all this stuff. I started giving them items to list on eBay. They list them and we split the proceeds. I get to guy buy new shiny parts and they get to go buy girlie stuff. Kids first purchase was a go-pro. I wish you all the best man. I have a couple of buddies here in Eastern Mass that are big into VWs and cheap Porsches. I'm sure they would be in.

M030
M030 Dork
9/5/16 7:28 p.m.

In reply to sesto elemento:

Thank you for the kind words. You've been an incredible friend to me, as well. I want to clarify, I'm not checking out, just simplifying a little.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/5/16 7:33 p.m.

Here is to hoping everything sells quickly at good prices and you wind up helping your son build a 944 in a few years and wind up needing none of the parts you sold.

sesto elemento
sesto elemento SuperDork
9/5/16 9:10 p.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: Here is to hoping everything sells quickly at good prices and you wind up helping your son build a 944 in a few years and wind up needing none of the parts you sold.

While we're hoping for outcomes, let's hope you're building a challenge stradale with him.

ChrisHachet
ChrisHachet New Reader
9/6/16 9:01 a.m.

My best wishes for a speedy recovery, I have been doing the same thing for quite some time now.

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid Dork
9/6/16 8:56 p.m.

good luck in getting better my freind and everyone hoist a drink of your choice to you being fellow grmer on here and to you getting better. just hope we dont have to lose one more of the faimily.

octavious
octavious HalfDork
9/7/16 8:22 a.m.

Good luck to you.

As far as shipping large items (like seats) look at Greyhound, it might go space available on a bus and save you or the buyer some coin.

What do the Porsche seats look like? The ones in my car are pretty trashed.

BA5
BA5 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/7/16 9:15 a.m.

My wife's very best friend in the whole world was diagnosed with a late stage brain cancer 2 weeks after the birth of her first child.

She's still here 3 years and later and is in complete remission.

Fight the good fight.

NoPermitNeeded
NoPermitNeeded Reader
9/7/16 9:18 a.m.

I wish that Massachusetts was closer to Alabama... I would happily take some of the air cooled stuff off your hands.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/7/16 9:25 a.m.

Woody, I think it's time for you and I to go on a roadtrip. And photograph and catalog what's there. PCA.org and pelican parts forums would be a good starting point, and there's a gentleman by the name of Charli who campaigns 944s in stage rally that would be a good starting point.

Don't allow yourself to be distracted with material burdens while in your fight. Rather than worrying about that think of a day or weekend trip or adventure that you'd be up for doing and let's see what we can all do as a community in order to make that happen. It can be car related, or it can be completely unrelated.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9qdUSvd5eL3tD63XXgYxeIWb2gIwFaab6c1P2r7hruNsc5la21ijk2T8oQcczExn