1 2 3
Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
10/29/14 4:01 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote:
wvumtnbkr wrote: could you give us an example of what it directly bolts to for manual trans? Thanks! Rob R.
Sure, but here's some more fun in the meantime. Lifted from the thread i found:
Another interesting tid-bit. The image below is a production powerplant for a plane using the Isuzu v6. It's supercharged and rated at 350hp. Weight (INCLUDING the prop reduction, supercharger, and alternator) is stated at 352.74lb. The reduction itself is stated 66.14lb. That leaves 286.6lb leaf for an impressively light 350hp supercharged v6.
But here's the deal. It's a 60 degree GM bolt pattern. If you want to bolt it to a strong Toyota transmission, you get a 2.5 Dakota bellhousing. Using that lets you bolt to any Toyota "R" transmission. (R150, 154, etc) If you want to bolt to a Toyota W transmission (W55, 56, 57, 58), you use a Jeep 2.5 bellhousing. These will work, too: Jeep AX15 and NV3550 Isuzu AR5 (originally bolted to the Isuzu 3.2L and 3.5L v6s) Jeep AX5

If this is front sump, it would be awesome in the Roach (Te72 Corolla). I have a 60 degree bellhousing and a T-5 laying around . . .

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/29/14 4:11 p.m.

In reply to Strike_Zero:

doesn't look like it :(

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/29/14 4:14 p.m.

Bearing in mind i'm still unfamiliar with RWD cars in general these days... why would you want front sump? Is it that different than a Miata? Front sump on a Miata is a problem. Rear sump lets us clear things.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/29/14 4:16 p.m.

depends on where the crossmember and steering rack are. Some cars are rear steer.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
10/29/14 4:36 p.m.

In reply to bluej:

E36 M3 . . .

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
10/29/14 4:37 p.m.

In reply to Swank Force One:

The 80s Corolla is rear steer and the 3tc is a front sump motor.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/29/14 8:09 p.m.

2rz with some boost?

RexSeven
RexSeven UberDork
10/29/14 8:57 p.m.

Probably too expensive, but if you can get your hands on a Ford Cyclone 3.7L and MT-82 transmission from a Mustang or F-150 you get an all-aluminum DOHC V-6 with 300hp+ stock.

Driven5
Driven5 HalfDork
10/29/14 9:24 p.m.

Regarding the Lincoln transmission for the Duratec V6, it has a very short gearinhg and no overdrive. 5th is 1:1. So without tall tires and a long final drive, getting the gearing right might end up making it more trouble than it's worth.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
10/29/14 11:40 p.m.

I'm sorta leaning that way. I have the Getrag and front sump oil pan (have to modify it) from my LS.

Here's what it looks like (on the right)

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
11/30/14 7:51 a.m.

In reply to Swank Force One:The worst part about that thread is that he spend 1 or 2 years arguing with people about why it's a good idea. The critics didn't understand about buying an engine design, just saw Isuzu and

bigbens6
bigbens6 Reader
11/30/14 8:51 a.m.

Alternate option, mazda KLZE, dunno what you would mate it to transmission wise but its a solid motor and there used to be a ton of them cheap with low miles coming out of japan, dunno about now...

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
11/30/14 12:21 p.m.
bluej wrote: I'm considering a new build and would appreciate the hive's input. What's the cheapest way to get a lightweight v6 setup for rwd with somewhere around 200hp/200ft.lbs? I would very much like to avoid an adapter plate between engine and trans.

interesting....looking into the e30, or something else? DOHC M50/M52 from BMW is an inline that would fit many bays better.

Also, depending on what car this is, what about a Subaru H6? Pretty light and compact if its a wide bay.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
11/30/14 12:30 p.m.
bigbens6 wrote: Alternate option, mazda KLZE, dunno what you would mate it to transmission wise but its a solid motor and there used to be a ton of them cheap with low miles coming out of japan, dunno about now...

No easy rwd trans options.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
11/30/14 1:09 p.m.

What bell housing and transmission would bolt up to an early 80's Buick V6 (252 cu.in.?)
It's the evenfire engine ,if that matters.

Opti
Opti Reader
11/30/14 1:28 p.m.

3.8. Cheap, plentiful, meet your power goals, durable, and large aftermarket.

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/30/14 9:12 p.m.

If you need front sump, sr20. I know it's no v6, but it is light, cheap, and 200/200 easily. Comes with a rwd trans (5 or 6 even).

bluej
12/1/14 9:22 a.m.
irish44j wrote:
bluej wrote: I'm considering a new build and would appreciate the hive's input. What's the cheapest way to get a lightweight v6 setup for rwd with somewhere around 200hp/200ft.lbs? I would very much like to avoid an adapter plate between engine and trans.
interesting....looking into the e30, or something else? DOHC M50/M52 from BMW is an inline that would fit many bays better. Also, depending on what car this is, what about a Subaru H6? Pretty light and compact if its a wide bay.

At first I was considering for a new vehicle build over the next year, but I'm done with trying to improve the turbo setup for the m20b27 and now looking into easier swaps to accomplish in the e30 over this winter instead. Pretty set on finding an m52b28.

I'll still dream of an older, smaller, rwd wagon w/ a v6/h6 I started the thread for, but it'll have to wait a year or two. There's a small sparkly item I need to save for and purchase first.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/1/14 9:54 a.m.

A fleshlight?

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
12/1/14 10:07 a.m.
Driven5 wrote: Regarding the Lincoln transmission for the Duratec V6, it has a very short gearinhg and no overdrive. 5th is 1:1. So without tall tires and a long final drive, getting the gearing right might end up making it more trouble than it's worth.

(Sorry I'm a month late to this) But what's the big deal about that? Most 5sp BMW's had the 1:1 5th gear and well.....they seem to be quite popular.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
12/1/14 11:23 a.m.

BMWs also run a numerically lower final drive as well. 2.93-3.45 is range for the manual equip cars.

The Lincoln LS Final is 3.07.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
12/1/14 11:47 a.m.

In reply to Strike_Zero:

Yep, which is why it doesn't matter. The gearing is out there, just don't expect to have a massive top end if you throw 4.11's at it.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro HalfDork
12/1/14 12:10 p.m.
DeadSkunk wrote: What bell housing and transmission would bolt up to an early 80's Buick V6 (252 cu.in.?) It's the evenfire engine ,if that matters.

It would use the 90 degree BOP (Buick, Olds, Pontiac) pattern bellhousing. The FWD versions were the first to switch to the metric (60 degree) bellhousing.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
12/1/14 4:23 p.m.
bluej wrote:
irish44j wrote:
interesting....looking into the e30, or something else? DOHC M50/M52 from BMW is an inline that would fit many bays better. Also, depending on what car this is, what about a Subaru H6? Pretty light and compact if its a wide bay.
At first I was considering for a new vehicle build over the next year, but I'm done with trying to improve the turbo setup for the m20b27 and now looking into easier swaps to accomplish in the e30 over this winter instead. Pretty set on finding an m52b28. I'll still dream of an older, smaller, rwd wagon w/ a v6/h6 I started the thread for, but it'll have to wait a year or two. There's a small sparkly item I need to save for and purchase first.

indeed, lol.

I've been lurking around the M50/M52 swap threads on R3V myself recently, to be honest.....

And I've been lurking around turbobricks forum seeing what I could do with a 240 wagon were I to somehow find room and money for another project before I finish the e21.

For an e30 though, I think "the answer" really is BMW DOHC I6s though. It's simply an easier swap, that plenty of people have done, which gets near your power requirements with some engine mods, and reasonably available at pick and pulls these days.

bluej
12/1/14 4:40 p.m.
irish44j wrote: For an e30 though, I think "the answer" really is BMW DOHC I6s though. It's simply an easier swap, that plenty of people have done, which gets near your power requirements with some engine mods, and reasonably available at pick and pulls these days.

exactly. I've already got megasquirt that'll run it easily (well, once I figure out how to do a second PWM map for really getting the most our of the VVT), and it'll bolt up to my existing trans. Stock it makes about the same ultimate power goals I had with the small turbo with none of the driveability issues for rally cross. I see at least (2) 528i's at the yard every time I go. probably just jinxed myself, though. :p

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
T2iIGyblZos3NSkbBrVSDVoV30R20nic4saV1aqxz4zsp1877NBKqmriai82JOWB