1 2
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
7/15/24 12:54 p.m.
feature_image

Have yet to see a new Nissan Z in the wild? We know where you can find one–and not just any new Z, but a brand-new Z Nismo.

[Did Nissan improve the Z with the NISMO edition?]

This week, July 14-19, is our very first Classic Motorsports Empire State Tour, a driving tour of New York’s Finger Lakes region, …

Read the rest of the story

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
7/15/24 1:01 p.m.

It's refreshing to see a "sport model" actually get upgrades beyond some aesthetic touches.

(P.S. Be on the lookout for daily recaps of our Empire State Tour over on Classic Motorsports.)

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
7/15/24 1:07 p.m.

I'm really hopeful for this thing. The regular Z was a real disappointment on track, and not really good enough on the street to make a strong case for itself considering the poor track showing. But it's a bummer because it seems like all the right ingredients are in place. hopefully Nissan has truly combined them in a way they get to show off a little bit this time. Can't wait to get one to the FIRM.

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
7/15/24 1:59 p.m.

Bill Kay Nissan in Downers Grove, IL has 1 new Nismo marked up to $91,000.  

On Friday, I picked up some Z parts and my first thought was that they better sell that soon cause the window sticker is getting all faded and wrinkled. 

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
7/15/24 2:04 p.m.

What are the center wheel caps stock?  $90 option for Z center caps?  Go Fast Option?

Also, in person the stripes look like crap.

420 HP?  It's gotta move, right?

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
7/15/24 2:21 p.m.

In reply to Datsun240ZGuy :

When I took a Z Performance and a Z Nismo back to back on track, there was a noticeable difference in handling. I feel that's the big win of the Nismo, but dealers are certainly marking them up quite a bit.

Chris Tropea
Chris Tropea Associate Editor
7/15/24 5:52 p.m.

In reply to J.A. Ackley :

Can confirm even though I have not drove them back to back the NISMO feels better than the standard Z. 

Chris Tropea
7/15/24 5:54 p.m.

I picked up the car on a rainy Saturday morning at Newark Airport and I have to say the color combination looks really good in person. 

300zxfreak
300zxfreak Reader
7/15/24 5:58 p.m.

Well, I'm certainly glad they put the obligatory stripe at the top center of the steering wheel so one knows when one is going straight ahead. Otherwise, who knows what could happen.........

Coniglio Rampante
Coniglio Rampante Reader
7/15/24 8:27 p.m.

Holy integrated systems, Batman!  Is that an old  flip phone where the stick shift should be?  
Nevermind, I think it's a key fob. ;-)

Chris Tropea
7/15/24 9:44 p.m.

While not a ton of storage in the hatch it has enough for a small suitcase. 

Chris Tropea
7/15/24 9:45 p.m.

In reply to Coniglio Rampante :

I was disappointed that it's an automatic but so far it's been a good auto, on the street at least. 

Coniglio Rampante
Coniglio Rampante Reader
7/15/24 10:14 p.m.

In reply to Chris Tropea :

Good to hear.  It's probably perfectly fine as street car...nothing wrong with that.  But wow, at the price + adm people are talking about, there's a lot of really good competition out there (that may do more.)

Chris Tropea
7/16/24 7:58 a.m.

First fuel top off at Sunoco shows that the Z is getting 25.6 average mpg. That was mostly highway with some backroad's from Newark NJ to Ithaca NY. The rest of this trip will be on all backgrounds so I'm interested to see if that average changes. 

rjracin240
rjracin240 New Reader
7/16/24 12:10 p.m.

Long time Datsun and Nissan enthusiast, however the current nissan is a huge disappointment. Glad to see that there might be one or two people still at nissan that have some enthusiasm about vehicle performance and a clue of the history the previous Nissan had and what great vehicles it made. 

Four years ago at ZCON in Nashville listening to the head cheese Gupta peeing himself with excitement about the rogue , leaf and other boring nissans with no mention of the upcoming Frontier and not much excitement about the new Z, you could see the destination of the company. 

Four years later on, the new Z seems to be a failure with poor sales (yet to see one out in the wilds driving around), special editions that are overpriced by dealers. A whole array of boring cars, with the only positive things that GRM can report out on are the center console and other trivial non performance pieces on a sentra! Currently the manufacturer has boring non inspiring daily commuters with terrible reputations for their transmissions being a ticking death sentence for the vehicle. 

Company is on fringes of bankrupcy, and all they can talk about in the nissan communication articles is inspiration from purses for design cues, shape of the tread on tennis shoes for inspiration for interior design.

Time for nissan to wake up and follow the lead of Honda, Civic Type-R, Toyota and their GR inspired vehicles, Hyundai and it's N-Line, VW still building Manual Transmission car's and the GTI. 

Instead of nissan realizing they are going under and pushing millions of dollars to DEI agenda's they need to remember they are a car manufacturer, not a charity organization and build cars that people want, not be the butt of jokes about the run down conditions of their maxima, and altima's.

Thanks for letting me vent!

Nissan Drops After Missing Annual Profit Forecast on Weak Sales - Bloomberg

bsaney
bsaney GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/16/24 6:58 p.m.

This car is making a strong case for a C6 Vette. And the C6 trunk is huge! 

Chris Tropea
7/16/24 7:16 p.m.

Thank you Nissan for putting physical buttons in this car. Everything I have needed to change or adjust has been on a button or a knob and not hidden in a menu. Plus the buttons layout makes sense. 

Nicole Suddard
Nicole Suddard GRM+ Memberand Marketing Coordinator
7/16/24 7:17 p.m.

I haven't had a chance to get behind the wheel, but it looks pretty sharp.

Here it is pulling into Watkins Glen International earlier today as part of the Classic Motorsports Road Tours Empire State Tour 

etifosi
etifosi SuperDork
7/16/24 7:33 p.m.

I've still only seen one single new Z in real life. I was driving so couldn't ogle it, it looked much much better in the metal than in photos. It's one of the prettiest new cars available, pity it doesn't seem to have the mechanical chops to justify the price tag.

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
7/17/24 8:00 a.m.

Saw one in the wild a few months ago, the back end looks great. The Nismo goes a long way to make the front end look better than the standard edition I saw, but the roof looked strange to me. The peak at the top of the windshield with a continuous slope to the decklid was really noticeable and looked off to me, compared to having a horizontal roof blending into the fastback. The one I saw was either dark grey or black, and those chrome strips maybe exaggerated that shape more than they would have on a lighter color. 

It also looks smaller in person than it does in the pictures, roughly BRZ sized. 

Chris Tropea
7/17/24 2:26 p.m.

In reply to gearheadE30 :

I would agree it's roughly BRZ sized, definitely bigger than a BRZ but not by a ton. 

Chris Tropea
7/17/24 3:35 p.m.

I'm a big fan of this gauge pod on the dash. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/17/24 4:10 p.m.
Chris Tropea said:

While not a ton of storage in the hatch it has enough for a small suitcase. 

Is that suitcase full of GRM Standard Ducks? Because that's become the usual cargo capacity measurement.

Chris Tropea
7/17/24 5:24 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Unfortunately I couldn't bring a duck on this trip but if we get a NISMO to headquarters in Florida we will have to do the duck test. 

Chris Tropea
7/19/24 6:21 a.m.

View from the drivers seat. To me Nissan nailed the interio-- it's laid out in a way that makes sense and everything you need is easy to reach. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1LI86dGJSoFdMfJ3KhgFWALVnsHF1EDqOZ86nVB4ZhLl4ysitw3NNfgMFxiYDo5T