1 2 3
Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
10/18/23 10:20 a.m.
feature_image

Fall is here in Central Texas, which means there’s a chill in the air most mornings. And that is ideal tire testing weather.

We’ve got a couple of interesting rounds on our slate, the first of which is a trio of “tweener 200s.” They’re not quite as quick as the latest Super 200 hotness, but they’re more formidable than the …

Read the rest of the story

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/18/23 10:49 a.m.
Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
10/18/23 12:34 p.m.

Hey Andy, why are you at the track today?  It's not Friday yet!

Most of my track laps lately have been in one of my CRX's prepping for SCCA TT Nats.  Testing needs consistency so I'm out here getting my ND chops back in tune. 

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
10/18/23 2:05 p.m.

Time to mount the donuts.  

With all the testing I do, you'd think I'd own a machine but I don't.  Instead, I trust people that are meticulous, careful and knowledgeable.  In short, I got a guy.  His name is Joe.  And he lives ten minutes from my house.  So he's also convenient.  Never messed up a wheel or tire.  And very reasonably priced. 

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
10/18/23 2:07 p.m.

Joe also knows the right way to work a balancer to minimize vibration rather than saving weights (default settings).

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
10/18/23 2:15 p.m.

Joe's only stipulation is that wheels are clean and devoid of weights.  Similar to Pirelli and Michelin from my days in Pro Racing.

3M Adhesive Remover plus a plastic tool are the weapons of choice.  Brake cleaner is not nearly as effective on weight residue.  Get the low-VOC version so your brain cells stay intact. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
10/18/23 3:10 p.m.

"Chill in the air" in central Texas........like 60 degrees?

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
10/18/23 3:12 p.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

"Chill in the air" in central Texas........like 60 degrees?

Actually, it was in the 40's the other morning.

Of course, high for Friday is looking to be in the 90's again.  Sheesh.

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
10/18/23 4:21 p.m.

My tire hauler...

2007 CX9 will hold three sets easily, and four with some creativity. 

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
10/18/23 4:22 p.m.

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
10/19/23 10:01 a.m.

And, back at the track again.  Today is scrub/heat cycle day.  45 minutes on the highway, 6 laps of ever increasing intensity, then 45 minutes of country roads.  

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
10/19/23 2:32 p.m.

Two down, one to go.  

Lifts are awesome.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/19/23 2:39 p.m.

Check out those Kogeki wheels. :) 

Scott Skillman
Scott Skillman GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/19/23 5:50 p.m.

In reply to Andy Hollis :

IMO, Joe is a renaissance man in that he can do just about anything related to vehicles. And he is a meticulous tire changer for track rats here in Austin.

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
10/19/23 6:58 p.m.

Just like painting a car, prep is everything.

First step, checking to make sure we have enough brake pad to make it through the day.  Looks like some taper is evident, so a quick flip inside out will prolong the life. 

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
10/19/23 6:59 p.m.

Five minutes per corner to flip...if you have this cool Lisle piston retractor.  Best $50 I ever spent. 

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
10/19/23 7:34 p.m.

"An ounce of prevention..."

Hot tire changes are prone to galled threads on studs and lug nuts.  Easiest way to ruin the day.

We go through and run a re-threading die on all of our ARP studs, then use a quality re-threading tap from ARP to clean up our lug nuts.  Problems usually start with the nuts, and ours took a little effort to get the threads back to perfect.  this despite being replaced not that long ago.

We buy 50-count boxes of Gorilla brand nuts and replace frequently.  

We also carry spare studs and tools for on-the-car field install, though a press is preferred. 

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
10/19/23 9:29 p.m.
Scott Skillman said:

In reply to Andy Hollis :

IMO, Joe is a renaissance man in that he can do just about anything related to vehicles. And he is a meticulous tire changer for track rats here in Austin.

Oh how I wish I had a Joe by me. I have multiple vehicles, multiple tire/wheel combos and multiple seasons. It's an expensive nightmare.  

Matt Huffman
Matt Huffman New Reader
10/19/23 9:29 p.m.

you balance race tires?  mine just slip on the rim and go out of balance.  both from launching at autocross and braking at the circuit...

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
10/19/23 10:50 p.m.
Matt Huffman said:

you balance race tires?  mine just slip on the rim and go out of balance.  both from launching at autocross and braking at the circuit...

Wheels with knurled bead seat areas will help that.

It's especially important to me for the cars I drive to/from the track.  Unbalanced wheels on the highway are super annoying.

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
10/19/23 10:51 p.m.

Almost forgot to charge up the AIM lap timer/data logger.  

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
10/20/23 6:32 a.m.

Here's some pics shot the other night...our standard "beauty shots" from my home studio, though this is from my cell phone.  The one for print was done with a real DLSR camera.

Oh, that writing on the tires?  It's imprinted on the tread cap rubber piece prior to assembling the "green tire".  After all the bits are put in place, the mold goes around the assembly and the tire is "cooked".

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
10/20/23 6:37 a.m.

And here a shot of the "home studio"...

it's just a corner of the shop where the floor and wall are still clean.  Roll back the CRX, line up tires, shoot.  I often have to use a small screw or drill bit underneath to keep them in place.  Tricks of the trade revealed!

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
10/20/23 7:50 a.m.
Andy Hollis said:

Hey Andy, why are you at the track today?  It's not Friday yet!

Most of my track laps lately have been in one of my CRX's prepping for SCCA TT Nats.  Testing needs consistency so I'm out here getting my ND chops back in tune. 

I can just feel the car launching bump exiting three, the bone jarring, bump stop inducing bump at the kink, and the suspension upsetting bump at the apex of Mustang...

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
10/20/23 8:35 a.m.

In reply to racerfink :

Which is all why I do my testing CCW...fewer bumps to deal with.  T7 the only one that matters. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZrEIS1O0v739I2iEkkAKSdTqGCV79F4w16xFFSVQrgcEHWQ27rUMaEUjzIrlHIth