1 2 3
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
11/28/23 9:19 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

It’s also quick, responsive and makes cool noises

In the end, isn't that all most of us really want?

RX8driver
RX8driver Reader
11/28/23 9:29 a.m.
CrashDummy said:

How big is the backseat? Can adults fit back there? Carseats for kiddos? It visually looks like a smaller car than a Civic or Mazda3, but is it actually smaller? 

I got mine in March and the back seat is smaller than my previous 2015 WRX for sure. I'm 6'3" and I fit fine, but there's almost no foot room behind my seat. The wife's 2019 Rav4 Hybrid is the primary family car, so it's not usually an issue for our family of 4. Behind the passenger seat is fine though, since that seat can more easily sit more forward. If that's a concern and you're considering one, try out a normal Corolla hatch, as interior space will be the same. 

3 of us in this thread have one, so it's not quite unobtaniumm. Once you get one, the rarity is kind of nice, but if you're planning on lots of mods, that will limit how much the aftermarket wants to produce for it. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/28/23 10:25 a.m.

Back seat report: This is 5-foot-8 me sitting behind 5-foot-8 me. 

David S. Wallens
11/28/23 10:27 a.m.

So, knees don’t touch the seat back. Room for two. Three back there would be tight. My head doesn’t touch the ceiling. 

Speaking of tight, though, that’s the word I’d use to describe the rear door opening.

The door panels are thick plus there’s the intrusion of the rear wheel wells. I’d give the rear seats a C+ for entry/exit. For reference, front seats get an A for entry/exit and a car with a full cage is a D.

QuikMcshifterson
QuikMcshifterson New Reader
11/28/23 11:16 a.m.

In reply to Deltabox :

A very caffeinated hamster running on a little wheel (j/k).

HopmanJones
HopmanJones Reader
11/28/23 12:57 p.m.

The back seat is not great. I'm used to Pontiac Vibes and first gen Mazda3's for cars in this segment. I kinda hate how little cargo room there is in the hatch area and I wish access to the back seat was easier. As a family hauler it probably is not the greatest choice. 

That said, none of that is why I got this car. It's my commuter and there's almost always just 1 or 2 people in the car. So I can forgive all of that for all the incredible qualities of why I love my GRC. 

They are not unobtainable. A year ago, sure. Now it will just take reaching out to a couple dealers and being patient. 

David S. Wallens
11/28/23 2:07 p.m.

Last night’s top off before handing over the car to Tom. 

David S. Wallens
11/28/23 3:07 p.m.

Forgot to share: GR Corolla parked next to NA Miata. 

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
11/28/23 3:39 p.m.

I'm torn, I want one of these, but my wife would treat me like I grew an extra head if I come home with a $45K Corolla.  But after I read this thread MSN kindly rewarded me with link to one at a nearby dealer, might go for a test drive later this week. 

Corolla GR at list price (until the dealer marks it up)

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/28/23 4:30 p.m.

The Miata meet was a good time. If I had $45k floating around I'd consider a GR Corolla. It's got added on factory flares and functional hood vents!

David S. Wallens
11/28/23 6:42 p.m.

In reply to mblommel :

That was a good time–always good to catch up and hang. Love how the event continues to attract new enthusiasts, too. 

See you there next month? 

te72
te72 HalfDork
11/28/23 10:42 p.m.

I still believe the GRC is Toyota's way of apologizing for the Supra. Look at the marketing materials, and note the highlights of things that should probably be just how things are.

"Made in Japan!" (at the Motomachi plant, no less)

"Functional vents" (MkV rather notoriously had blocked off vents)

I seem to recall there were a few other things along those lines. Yes, I know that the MkV is under rated on the power output, but even so, the G16 is making ~78% of the power, with just over half the size, and half the cylinders... and it is a very strong little thing. Light weight too, and honestly, I think it sounds better than the B58 with all it's farty bro nonsense. Plus, the GRC has larger brakes, on a lighter car? And it has AWD? And it came with a manual as the only transmission option?

I'll repeat, the GRC is an apology for the MkV Supra.

Now all that said... I find myself wanting one of these. I'm considering selling my Mk3 Supra, AW11, and NB to fund it. Those cars cost me nothing to keep though, and they all deliver such different experiences, but... the pull is pretty strong with the GRC. =)

RX8driver
RX8driver Reader
11/29/23 8:46 a.m.

The engine also defeats any arguments that Toyota couldn't make a suitable engine for the Supra and had to go with a partner, or couldn't make it in sufficient volume to be profitable. Take two G16's and weld them end to end and BAM! a 3.2L, 600hp inline 6 for the Supra (I know, not quite that simple).

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Publisher
11/29/23 9:40 a.m.

So I spent about 250 miles driving the Corolla around yesterday... and I'm not sure I'm sold.

First, a major caveat: This was a mostly highway trip, so aside from a few cloverleaf intersections I didn't really test the Corolla in its element. But I just don't see $45,000 here. It's fast, but not incredible--0-60 in around 5 seconds is 23% quicker than a Prius. And while it handles well, it's [REDACTED] seconds [REDACTED] around our official test track than a [REDACTED]. And that's a car that can be bought at MSRP from your local dealer tomorrow.

But the GR Corolla is frankly pretty punishing on the street, the infotainment feels dated, and tire noise/wind noise/drivetrain noise just don't compare to a Golf R. And while it's a total riot to drive and really brought out my inner hooligan in traffic, it's not as exciting or silly as a Civic Type R or as the Elantra N. And the Civic, Golf and Elantra all have real back seats--the Corolla does not, as I had to push myself into the dash in order to carry a regular-sized adult behind me. 

In conclusion, this is a great car. But there are better options out there. If you'd told me a decade ago that the American car market would have a 300-horsepower all-wheel-drive hot hatch for less than the price of an average new car, I'd have barely believed you. If you'd told me it would be competing in a crowded field and fail to rise above the rest, I'd have fallen over in disbelief. This is a pretty cool time to be a car enthusiast.

Oh, and one more note: This thing looks mean as hell, and I'm here for it. If you've ever lusted after an E30 M3, you'll love the GR Corolla.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Publisher
11/29/23 9:43 a.m.

fidelity101
fidelity101 UberDork
11/29/23 10:28 a.m.
Scotty Con Queso said:
John Welsh said:

Aren't these made of Unobtainium?

My dislike for these is equal to that of a Maverick. Auto manufacturers make something the masses want but wait, no not you, you can't get one. Just YouTubers and the media. 

yes this needed to be a WRX volume/quantities not STI N spec nur it will live the life of the EVO X. hoarded and garage kept and only a few people with too much cash can rally them.

calteg
calteg SuperDork
11/29/23 10:32 a.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

Great info. Confirms what I suspected; the Elantra N is just a very tough value proposition to beat. Rumors that the next-gen Elantra will have a bigger motor with more power really pushes me towards waiting a year or two.

David S. Wallens
11/29/23 11:05 a.m.

At $33k or so, the Elantra N is a tough value proposition to beat. 

David S. Wallens
11/29/23 11:45 a.m.

For $45k, GR Corolla Circuit or four-cylinder Supra? 

HopmanJones
HopmanJones Reader
11/29/23 1:13 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

At $33k or so, the Elantra N is a tough value proposition to beat. 

Assuming you want a Hyundai sedan. 

ChrisTropea
ChrisTropea Associate Editor
11/29/23 2:50 p.m.

I just picked up the Corolla from Tom so I can do a photo and video shoot with it. Behind the scenes photos coming later today. 

David S. Wallens
11/29/23 3:17 p.m.

In reply to HopmanJones :

True, each car has its own feel, but there’s a pretty sizable price difference here. 

I’d love to hear from our GRC owners: Why this instead of the Hyundai, a VW, Civic Type R, etc.? I get that each brings something different to the table. What’s made you pick this one? (No wrong answers.)

underpowered
underpowered GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/29/23 7:02 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to HopmanJones :

True, each car has its own feel, but there’s a pretty sizable price difference here. 

I’d love to hear from our GRC owners: Why this instead of the Hyundai, a VW, Civic Type R, etc.? I get that each brings something different to the table. What’s made you pick this one? (No wrong answers.)

A year ago my wife asked me if I was going to buy a new car, what would it be.  When I told he it would be a Corolla , she said "really"? I explained to her it wasn't just any Corolla .  And then told me to buy it.  Why the GRC and not one of the others?  I wanted awd.  Not a German car...my job is working on them, and no, just no.  The Civic is great and all, but not awd.  I love Hondas, I have many of their ATVs and motorcycles/dirt bikes in my garage, but I wanted awd and the Civic was not.  And Hyundai....even though they have come miles in reliability, Im just not a fan (and no awd).  I have almost 10k miles on my GRC and would buy it again (at MSRP of course).  

HopmanJones
HopmanJones Reader
11/29/23 7:59 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

It's a personal decision, mostly. I've wanted a hot hatch since, well, forever. I had pretty much decided on a MK 7.5 GTI, but friends talked me out of the German car thing because I have low tolerance for extra fuss when working on cars. I am mostly a Mazda and Toyota fanboi, and I have gone back and forth on the Mazdaspeed3 too many times to count. Either they were too expensive or too clapped out for my taste.

The Civic is right out because they are subjectively ugly sedans. Not interested in dropping serious money on a Hyundai because, although they have come along way, I don't trust them as much as Toyota to be as reliable, hold their value, or just generally age as well. I really wanted to like the new Mazda3 turbo, but they don't offer them in a hatchback and manual transmission, which really irks me. When I heard about the GRC coming to the US, I knew that this was exactly what I have been waiting for to become available for years. Hatchback, turbo, awd, manual transmission, unique powertrain, a level of practicality, and it's a Toyota (again, a bit of a fanboi).

I have a "fully loaded core" and it's the perfect spec for me. People complain about the interior of core models, but I don't get it. This is as close to the spirit of an EVO IX or original STI as you are going to find, and I love that because that's what I wanted to own way back when, but only now I can afford the modern iteration. I have serious car ADD and buy and sell cars like crazy, but this is the first car I bought new and plan to keep forever. It will age very well, and I look forward to the transition from current DD use to racecar as it gets up in age and mileage. 

David S. Wallens
11/29/23 8:13 p.m.

Thanks for sharing, and all compelling arguments. The GRC definitely reminds me of cars from the past: the Evos, the Speed3, maybe even some Mini Cooper S. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mgh4QcW3uZJSUFM4HS5TBUEaCYdBYidYyyNellrQMxSADk8eEbJ7aI5gkVsyVLE6