1 2 3
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/8/24 11:48 a.m.
feature_image

Wanna ride shotgun with the GRM crew?

Welcome to this week’s test vehicle, a 2024 Hyundai Santa Cruz XRT AWD. It’s another entrant in the latest generation of smaller pickups. This will be our second go-around with the Santa Cruz, as we drove a Santa Cruz Limited late last year.

Questions? Comments? Welcome to the thread.

Read the rest of the story

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
1/8/24 11:50 a.m.

Although I would probably opt for a Maverick if I were in the market, I can't help but turn my head every time I see one in traffic.

Whether or not that person is an active, outdoorsy type, it certainly projects that image.

David S. Wallens
1/8/24 11:51 a.m.

First, I am happy to see smaller pickups making a comeback. (I know some will counter that they never went away.) 

Not all of us are going to tow a fifth wheel. We simply need something that’s easy to live with that offers both clean and dirty storage. Nice to see Hyundai with an entry. 

David S. Wallens
1/8/24 11:55 a.m.

First impressions: It’s the Hyundai of smaller trucks. Roomy interior. Cool styling. I dig the grille. 

Easy to get in and out of. 

I do wish the lower cushions offered a bit more as they feel a bit flat. 

More to come but what would you like to know? 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Publisher
1/8/24 12:11 p.m.

Is this the one that's rated to tow 5000 lbs?

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
1/8/24 12:31 p.m.

I really dig the one I had. Initially I was like "WTF I don't want a TRUCK in downtown San Francisco for three days" but the thing was nice and tidy to drive. It's like the best parts of a smallish car, with the utility of a small truck. It'd be a great only vehicle for a city type.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UberDork
1/8/24 12:36 p.m.
Colin Wood said:

Although I would probably opt for a Maverick if I were in the market,

Same, I'd probably go for a Maverick, but this seems to be just slightly better with a roomier interior and more towing capacity.  Plus, they aren't as popular as the Maverick, which may be telling, so they're cheaper and not as likely to be "adjusted" in price.

I don't know what to ask.  I'd want one for just daily driving and weekend work truck stuff.  I guess does it do anything wrong?

-Rob

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
1/8/24 12:39 p.m.

We were shopping these for my wife. In the end we went with a Santa Fe.

I will say that I liked it a lot. If I had to have one vehicle to do it all a Santa Cruz would work well.

ChrisTropea
ChrisTropea Associate Editor
1/8/24 1:31 p.m.

I rode over to the Mecum auction with David on Saturday in this truck. From the passenger seat it had plenty of leg room and the seats were comfortable. One thing I did not like was the lack of physical buttons on the infotainment system. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/8/24 1:53 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

And can it still maintain the EPA rated fuel economy while doing it? ;)

Seriously, though - I saw one of these modified and it was the most sci-fi looking thing. I can't remember if it was lowered or slightly lifted, but I think it had a bit of poke on the tires. Looked crazy.

Keith Tanner
1/8/24 1:55 p.m.

Is the GRM version of this a Subaru Baja?

David S. Wallens
1/8/24 1:55 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Kinda. We actually saw one at Mecum. 

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
1/8/24 1:57 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Is the GRM version of this a Subaru Baja?

I'd say it's the spiritual successor.

dps214
dps214 SuperDork
1/8/24 2:05 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

Officially yes, but hyundai is even worse than ford at telling you what you need to actually do it.

Keith Tanner
1/8/24 2:16 p.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

Or is it the Sport Trac?

BDG
BDG GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/8/24 2:50 p.m.
dps214 said:
Tom Suddard said:

Officially yes, but hyundai is even worse than ford at telling you what you need to actually do it.

Hitch and trailer brakes. These aren't the Ford option code word and number salads.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
1/8/24 2:53 p.m.

I like these a lot. I contemplated buying one but the Raptor won out again. I love the styling inside and out, the built in bed cover, the bed cooler like the Ridgeline has, and so on. People on the forums say towing with the DCT is interesting. 

I don't think they are like Acura which advertises that the MDX Type-S can tow 4500lbs but to do that you need to add their trans cooler, tow package, and a sprinkle of pixie dust to make it happen. Otherwise 2500lbs is the max. 

BDG
1/8/24 3:00 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

We just bought one, it replaces a 2nd gen MDX.

Been told a few times it isn't a "real truck". Which is... kinda the point.

We needed something that could tow a side by side or Miata-esque car on my aluminum trailer, and do daily driver duties on a 45 minute commute. 

The latter part would have been filled by something like an Escape or the Tucson this is based on. Uses about 35% less fuel than the MDX, handles waaaaaaay better and has a much better real world power curve.

The former is dealt with by 5k towing capacity (been up to 3.5k with it so far, which it does better than the MDX). 

The bed is small, but much much more useful than the trunk you would get with a compact SUV.

Honestly love it so far. Only other thing the fit the bill for me was a Ridgeline which was 25% more money with a worse warranty.

MonstersHouse81
MonstersHouse81 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/8/24 3:06 p.m.

I had the pleasure of driving a 2024 Santa Cruz for a month while my wife's Tucson(2023) was in the shop and although I enjoyed the performance of the Santa Cruz(Turbo and AWD), interior isn't that spacious with having a baby seat in the back of it and our 13yr old didn't have much legroom sitting in the back.  If the interior had better spacing between front and rear, I'd probably make the switch and buy one. 

dps214
dps214 SuperDork
1/8/24 3:56 p.m.
BDG said:
dps214 said:
Tom Suddard said:

Hitch and trailer brakes. These aren't the Ford option code word and number salads.

The point was I remember doing a lot of research and couldn't find any documentation about if that stuff was included, could be included, or if it needed to be added aftermarket. And does it need upgraded coolers if you're actually going to be towing 5k? Nobody knows. On the maverick the 4k tow package is a single option box and it includes the hitch and brake controller ready to roll, along with upgraded coolers and a different final drive ratio. Check the box, slap a hitch in, and you're ready to tow.

Ford's problem is that it's really difficult to figure out exact towing capacities on the real trucks, and from a bit of shopping around the other full size truck manufacturers aren't really any better. But they're always very upfront about what all is involved in the towing package and what you'll need to add if you don't get the tow package.

BDG
1/8/24 4:17 p.m.
dps214 said:
BDG said:
dps214 said:
Tom Suddard said:

The point was I remember doing a lot of research and couldn't find any documentation about if that stuff was included, could be included, or if it needed to be added aftermarket. And does it need upgraded coolers if you're actually going to be towing 5k? Nobody knows. On the maverick the 4k tow package is a single option box and it includes the hitch and brake controller ready to roll, along with upgraded coolers and a different final drive ratio. Check the box, slap a hitch in, and you're ready to tow.

Ford's problem is that it's really difficult to figure out exact towing capacities on the real trucks, and from a bit of shopping around the other full size truck manufacturers aren't really any better. But they're always very upfront about what all is involved in the towing package and what you'll need to add if you don't get the tow package.

Hitch, and trailer brakes.

There are no optional towing packages, coolers etc.

David S. Wallens
1/9/24 9:11 a.m.

In reply to BDG :

Glad to hear that you’re enjoying your Santa Cruz.

Pictures? 

golfduke
golfduke Dork
1/9/24 9:33 a.m.

We own a '22 Tuscon hybrid and really love it EXCEPT it's winter driving manners.   It's fine on the road, but the fact that awd converts to fwd only above 25mph is extremely frustrating when you're in sketchy low speed situations and need wheelspin to bail you out.  So leaving driveways or starting on a hill in snowy conditions gets super dicey.  This overrides 4wd lock, and winter mode too, which makes absolutely no sense. 

It's really the ONLY gripe I have about the platform.  Otherwise, it's been very hard to beat in terms of value, performance, and comfort. 

Hoppps
Hoppps New Reader
1/9/24 10:58 a.m.

Does this have the cameras that come on when you use your turn signal? Or maybe any of the other Hyundais GRM has tested recently? If so, is it helpful or just a gimmick?

Coniglio Rampante
Coniglio Rampante Reader
1/9/24 11:25 a.m.

This trucklet is all I'd need for what I do.  

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
a3CrqiXyICTIw7SmMDbGp8EMpkEC9js39BvAXs14NcevrLxX74aiG1jX4AgTwj7H