1 2
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
4/1/24 4:45 p.m.
feature_image

Wanna ride shotgun with GRM?

Welcome to this week’s test vehicle, a 2024 Nissan Sentra SR.

The SR is the top trim of the Sentra lineup, offering features not found on lower trims like heated seats, two-tone paint options, 18-inch wheels and more.

All Sentras receive the same powertrain, a 2.0-liter inline-four–rated at 149 horsepower and 146 lb.-ft. of torque–that’s mated …

Read the rest of the story

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/1/24 4:51 p.m.

Personal note here: Upon graduating from college, I picked up a brand-new Sentra SE-R. It was light, inexpensive and fast–the reigning D Stock autocross champ at the time, in fact.

Is this its spiritual successor? No.

But I’m not down on that. First, happy to see vehicles sold that still resemble traditional cars–you know, with a trunk and everything. 

The latest Sentra is roomy front and back, easy to get in and out of and, I have to say, a bit striking looking. 

More that I liked: real knobs for radio volume and interior temperature. I know, what a novelty, right? 

First drive impressions?

Coming up in a few. 

David S. Wallens
4/1/24 4:55 p.m.

Last night’s trip: Orlando and back, so an hour each way. (Occasion: Circle Jerks and the Descendents live.)

First impression: CarPlay instantly synced up. No issues, no nothing. Totally plug and play. In 2024 you’d think that wouldn’t be so surprising yet here we are. 

Seat bottoms feel a touch flat, although I seem to say that often. Seat backs felt good to me. 

Yes to knobs!

Also yes to big, analog gauges. 

Controls are logical–no hunting for the mirror controls, for example–and you get a traditional, mechanical shifter. 

Bonus points for putting the starter button next to it. 

That center console cubby is huge–I’ll get a pic soon. 

David S. Wallens
4/1/24 4:59 p.m.

Notes from my drive:

Not much road noise although a touch of wind noise noticed with the radio off. Is it a deal-breaker? Everything seems to have some. It didn’t bug me but just mentioning. 

Quiet regarding tire noise. 

Decent power. (Truth be told, I would have guessed a tick more than 149 horsepower.) 

Okay, the biggie: Yes, it has a CVT. Does it feel like a CVT? Yep. Nissan’s CVTs have gotten better over time, but I can’t stop wishing for a traditional auto box or a twin-clutch setup. (I know that a manual is too much to wish for here.)

Will most people notice the difference? Likely not. Will you? Likely yep. 

David S. Wallens
4/1/24 5:05 p.m.

Gotta discuss the back seat: It’s roomy with enough headroom for me. (I’m like 5-foot-8, though.)

And me sitting behind me.

You get a USB plug, too.

David S. Wallens
4/1/24 5:10 p.m.

I expected this to cost more, too. For $28k and change delivered, you get all of today’s expected safety electronics–blind spot monitoring, forward collision warning, rear cross-traffic alert, lane departure warning, high beam assist, etc.–plus heated seats, heated steering wheel, Wi-Fi hotspot, front “leatherette” seats, 18-inch alloys, carbon interior accents (I don’t mind them), and some sporty accents. 

I see active ride control listed. I’d have to give the Sentra good marks in the ride department, especially considering the low-profile tires. 

And, here, a close-up of the carbon interior accents.

David S. Wallens
4/1/24 6:03 p.m.

Should have started with this game: Will it fit in the Sentra’s console cubbie? (Totally admit that these are objects I just grabbed from my garage.)

Hawk brake pads?

Answer: yes!

Quart of motor oil?

Easy.

Bottle of quick detail?

Yarp.

How about a tape gun?

It fits!

David S. Wallens
4/1/24 6:05 p.m.

How about some actual dimensions?

Looks like the Sentra’s center console storage measures about 8.5 inches by 6.25 inches by about 10 inches deep. (The shape of the cover provides a little extra headroom.)

Pics because we all like pics:

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
4/1/24 7:05 p.m.

I had a 91 Sentra SE-R that I purchased new. Loved it. This is not that. Still it looks nice and will probably be perfectly acceptable for most buyers. As you mentioned this would be transformed by a six speed manual. Most people don't want manuals anymore.....I do. I can't do a CVT no matter how good it's claimed to be. 

Dootz
Dootz Reader
4/1/24 10:56 p.m.

Can you guys ask Nissan why they're being stubborn on not making a Nismo version? Just put in the Rogue's turbo-3! The Si desperately needs competition on the sub-$30k enthusiast category

CrashDummy
CrashDummy Reader
4/2/24 6:55 a.m.

I like that color!

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/2/24 8:46 a.m.

I have to say, Nissan is killing it with exterior design lately. The rear of the new Pathfinder is very Ranger Rover-esque, shame about their gaping maw front ends. I saw an Altima SR the other day and it looked good enough for me to see if they had a performance version. They do, the SR VC Turbo...it costs more than the Elantra N but has a CVT and almost nothing added for performance save the typical low-profile tires and "re-tuned suspension". If I didn't care about track performance and wanted a ice highway missile, this might fit the bill. 

David S. Wallens
4/2/24 9:07 a.m.
Feedyurhed said:

I had a 91 Sentra SE-R that I purchased new. Loved it. This is not that. Still it looks nice and will probably be perfectly acceptable for most buyers. As you mentioned this would be transformed by a six speed manual. Most people don't want manuals anymore.....I do. I can't do a CVT no matter how good it's claimed to be. 

So, if the current Sentra chassis got 200 horsepower and a six-speed manual, would that be worthy of the SE-R badge? I’m picturing a Civic Si competitor. 

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
4/2/24 9:15 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

So, if the current Sentra chassis got 200 horsepower and a six-speed manual, would that be worthy of the SE-R badge? I’m picturing a Civic Si competitor. 

Nissan's current car lineup is a little weird. Aside from the Maxima, they've got the Versa, Sentra and Altima, and those three seem to have a lot of crossover in market appeal with very little differentiation, especially the Sentra and Altima. Positioning one of those three as a sportster might give it a bit more of an individual identity, anyway.

CyberEric
CyberEric SuperDork
4/2/24 9:17 a.m.

I opened this thread hoping Nissan had done something I find compelling again. This Sentra? That is not the case. I really don't get them as a carmaker anymore. I'll see myself out.

Colin Wood
4/2/24 9:17 a.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

The Altima does come with Big Altima Energy™ from the factory, though.

Colin Wood
4/2/24 9:21 a.m.
CyberEric said:

I opened this thread hoping Nissan had done something I find compelling again. This Sentra? That is not the case. I really don't get them as a carmaker anymore. I'll see myself out.

The way I see it, Nissan makes cars for people who wake up one day and say "I need a new car" and then just go to the dealership without doing any research.

Whether or not the Sentra is the best option in its class doesn't really matter to many buyers. As long as it doesn't suck, it'll work great for a lot of people.

David S. Wallens
4/2/24 10:08 a.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

Nissan does offer a bunch of sedans–more than a lot of others. 

FWIW, sorting them by price does seem to help a little.

CrashDummy
CrashDummy Reader
4/2/24 11:48 a.m.
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) said:

the SR VC Turbo...it costs more than the Elantra N but has a CVT and almost nothing added for performance 

And when it doesn't sell they'll kill it off and say "nobody wanted a performance sedan."  

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/2/24 11:51 a.m.

I had a Smalltima as a rental not too long ago. I don't remember it being super hateful. Truth be told I don't remember much of anything about it at all, good or bad. I'm not sure that's a ringing endorsement. 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Publisher
4/2/24 11:53 a.m.

Wait, Nissan makes all of those identical cars at once?!

I'm also reeling at the fact that a Maxima starts at nearly $40k.

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/2/24 12:15 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

Wait, Nissan makes all of those identical cars at once?!

I'm also reeling at the fact that a Maxima starts at nearly $40k.

I can't remember the last time I saw a Maxima on the road.  They used to be legitimately nice cars.  The only Nissans I see now are Altimas, usually coming up behind me at 110mph on our six lane interstates.  I think they are the model of choice for people who are prone to poor life choices.

I don't get this Sentra SR.  They had an opportunity to leverage a performance label like Honda has done with the Si and R, or Toyota has done with the AE.  From what I can tell it's basically a tarted up base model Sentra with some electronic gadgets in the interior.  What a head scratcher.

David S. Wallens
4/2/24 12:47 p.m.

Before Altimas became known for their Big Altima Energy, my brother had one–with a stick, even. Our parents had a Maxima 4DSC with a manual box. 

Snrub
Snrub Dork
4/2/24 12:48 p.m.

It kind of feels like Nissan has moved into a similar market position as Hyundai/Kia. Solid vehicles with better than normal bang for the buck. I'd certainly consider something like this for my wife, but I'd probably lean towards the SV for her.

Manual SR is available in Canada.

David S. Wallens
4/2/24 12:51 p.m.

A little note for those who like to rest their elbow on the upper sill: It’s a little hard and angled down more than usual. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YXIikJLIufDQpMDQXG2Jiyh01tOtwplzSvRiZADKC2FPE3UYTxUSkPlHZsoOIIQL