Subscriber-unavailabile
Subscriber-unavailabile Reader
2/8/20 11:33 a.m.

I'm in market to replace my ZX2 with something newer, better, faster and 4dr.

I've been seeing a lot of Saab's local to me for $25-3500 that seem to be good in shape. Plus turbo always helps.

Besides being FWD what says the hive?

02Pilot
02Pilot SuperDork
2/8/20 11:58 a.m.

I know nothing of the 9-3s except that they get more GM and less Saab the newer they are.

I had a 9-5 (lpt, auto) for a while. It was pretty well screwed together for the most part, roomy, comfortable, and pretty effortless at speed. It was a little too appliance-like for my tastes (think Swedish Camry), but that may well have been due in large part to the least powerful engine and the slushbox. The Aeros are quite a bit more powerful than the lpt; you do not want the V6, which is considered troublesome. There are some common failure points (ignition module, PCV) and sludging was an issue on some, so records help. Regardless, I'd plan on pulling the VC to inspect and scraping the oil pan through the drain hole to see if there's anything worrisome.

If I had it to do again, I'd look for a late 9-5 Aero wagon with a manual. Prices are generally quite low, so you should have choices.

XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/8/20 1:57 p.m.

I'm going to collect this next week:

'01 Aero 5spd.  I also have an '04 Aero wagon, which currently serves as a garage obstacle/dust collection device, but will get re-assembled this spring, Flying Spaghetti Monster willing...

They kind of straddle the boundary between appliance and cool car.  There's a good community of knowledge about them, and they're pretty DIY friendly overall.  As 02Pilot mentioned, find a well maintained one that has had regular oil changes with synthetic, and the updated PCV system version 6.  There are basically 3 iterations - original from 99-01, the updated 02-05, and the more GM-ized 'Dame Edna' from 06-09. 

I think the 04-05 are kind of the sweet spot, but finding a good one with a good previous owner is more important.

Subscriber-unavailabile
2/8/20 2:11 p.m.

Doesn't the early 2000s aero have around 260hp stock?

XLR99
2/8/20 5:20 p.m.

In the unlikely event that my memory is correct, I believe the 99-01 Aero is 230hp, 02-05 Aero and all 06+ are 260hp.

Also, should you want a slushybox, go for an '02+: early ones are 4spd, the 02+ are 5spd that can lock the torque converter in 4th and 5th.

Subscriber-unavailabile
2/8/20 5:56 p.m.

It'll be manual, I can handle my family hauler to be autotragic but my car has to be manual

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/9/20 10:54 a.m.

I have had two Aero 9-5's, an 03 and an 02.  The 03 had just under 250K on when a lady took it out on my way to work, the 02 is at around 210k. 

Aside from the normal wear items they both have been dead reliable. In fact I took the 02 to a wedding in North Carolina this summer that was close to the dragon.  With the AC on and the car loaded  I ran it for 4 round trips without any issue at all.  With 200tw tires on it it was a blast. 

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/9/20 10:56 a.m.

be prepared for Torx fasteners. Saab loved those things. 

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
2/10/20 8:07 a.m.

Funny this thread should come up - my nephew offered me a deal on a 9-3 circa 2003 that just quit running out of nowhere, and he doesn't have a clear diagnosis of what happened. The engine now cranks, but won't start. Sounds like the worst case may be a broken timing chain - seems like it's an interference engine. He seems to think it's an unspecified something electrical.

So, if you don't mind me mooching off this thread, I'd be interested in what this thread turns up.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
2/10/20 8:20 a.m.

My brother had a 2005 9-3 that was an awesome little car.  Light pressure turbo and slushbox returned 35 mpg on the highway.  Really comfy seats.

And could take a hit.  It died in a head on accident with a full size C-10 running 55 mph.  My brother walked away unscathed.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/10/20 8:56 a.m.

This thread prompted me to take a look. These are indeed cheap.

Kingkong
Kingkong New Reader
2/10/20 11:32 a.m.

Had a 9-3 and 9-5 aero. Fun cars and great highway cruisers.  Can find some with air cooled seats which is nice.

Keep an eye on the coolant bypass valve which leakes. It has tons of hoses going to it and a pain in the ass to remove. Can replace it with two straight hose from DO88.

The newer 9-3 Aero's had a V6 turbo which do well with ECU flash and bolt ons. Come to think of it, they all do well with ECU flash. A stage 1 should give you a little more power and better MPGs. Look up Mike D on f-book for tuning if you're in the New England area.

LeonV
LeonV New Reader
2/10/20 11:37 a.m.
mad_machine said:

be prepared for Torx fasteners. Saab loved those things. 

Is that why they had so much... Torx steer?

XLR99
2/10/20 5:41 p.m.

@Leon:

Keep an eye on the coolant bypass valve which leakes. It has tons of hoses going to it and a pain in the ass to remove. Can replace it with two straight hose from DO88.

To give an idea of the German-style answer to a problem that didn't exist, here's the ridiculous stock thing vs the common sense replacement hoses:

procainestart
procainestart Dork
2/10/20 6:33 p.m.
MadScientistMatt said:

Funny this thread should come up - my nephew offered me a deal on a 9-3 circa 2003 that just quit running out of nowhere, and he doesn't have a clear diagnosis of what happened. The engine now cranks, but won't start. Sounds like the worst case may be a broken timing chain - seems like it's an interference engine. He seems to think it's an unspecified something electrical.

So, if you don't mind me mooching off this thread, I'd be interested in what this thread turns up.

A common failure is the direct ignition cassette (coil-on-plug system). Obviously don't have any clue why your nephew's car isn't running but I would start at the DI cassette, which plenty of Saabers keep a spare of in the trunk. 

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
2/11/20 1:20 p.m.
procainestart said:
MadScientistMatt said:

A common failure is the direct ignition cassette (coil-on-plug system). Obviously don't have any clue why your nephew's car isn't running but I would start at the DI cassette, which plenty of Saabers keep a spare of in the trunk. 

Thanks... I may show up at his place soon with a compression tester (just to make sure it isn't the timing chain!) and my pocket oscilloscope.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/11/20 1:47 p.m.

I did some searching after seeing this thread and found this:

https://www.carsourceauto.com/vdp/13183051/Used-2007-Saab-93-20T-for-sale-in-Grove-City-OH-43123

Looks like it has been there for a few months, they might be negotiable. I'm not sure if it is the one that I want though. 

02Pilot
02Pilot SuperDork
2/11/20 2:56 p.m.
EvanB said:

I did some searching after seeing this thread and found this:

https://www.carsourceauto.com/vdp/13183051/Used-2007-Saab-93-20T-for-sale-in-Grove-City-OH-43123

Looks like it has been there for a few months, they might be negotiable. I'm not sure if it is the one that I want though. 

Says it needs "clutch work" - should be able to negotiate it down pretty far, but a test drive may not be possible. Go drive one before you buy anything.

Aspen
Aspen HalfDork
2/11/20 7:10 p.m.
procainestart said:
MadScientistMatt said:

A 2003 should be individual coil on plug unless it's a convertible. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bAYFF48VFscTfsytKVN9z8xcSFyCXeOwFihPcTeORFNmmwc0VVmy3FbsSsTQmSEu