1 2 3
steelynorm
steelynorm New Reader
2/9/18 8:09 p.m.

Yeah have heard cooling system is mandatory PM with bmw ownership the last decade and a half.

Xkr sexy beasts!

Don't know much about them

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
2/9/18 8:35 p.m.

All I can tell you on the XKR is driving dynamics. I've driven them on track and they are surprisingly capable. Not Porsche capable but better than I thought. The latest (not in the budget of 10k) is extremely sexy. Better than the AM version. A modern XJS.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
2/9/18 8:39 p.m.
markwemple said:

All this dissing on old german stuff but a C5 is ok. Really? With regard to reliability, vettes are junk. All US sports cars have always been horrible on reliability. Plus stupid expensive to insure, In fact, check insurance rates. You'll see some cheap cars being expensive due to theft and or stupid drivers. 'vettes are 2xs the money, at least, over a porsche that's worth 2xs the money. Vettes get wrecked way more often. Not the cars fault, just the type of buyer.

Vettes are very cheap to insure, due to the type of owner they have. I think you've just got a bit of a blind spot going, dude.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
2/9/18 8:44 p.m.
markwemple said:I've never seen a Porsche, XJS or BMW 6 series in a junkyard. But several vettes. And we are pick and pull guys here.

Seriously, I have seen all three in the same junkyard. And it was not even a high end junk yard - it was a pick-n-pull with fixed prices. (As in, a part from the Porsche was the same price as the same part from a Chevy.) Combined with the fact that I do see those cars in junkyards, I've literally never seen a Corvette in a junkyard. Considering they probably sold 10x the Corvettes per year as Jaguar XJ-S, it's telling that I've seen one and not the other in a junkyard.

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
2/9/18 8:50 p.m.

LOL. And I've seen a bunch. I was so not impressed by what I saw, too.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/9/18 11:35 p.m.

Mark must've been burned by a vette experience. Everything he's said is exactly the opposite of what I've seen, heard, and experience. 

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
2/10/18 7:36 a.m.

I've never owned one and have friends that own dealerships. Really guys, it's known in the industry that the materials in them substandard and electrical issues haunt every generation. Heck, that part should make an owner of the newer ones very nervous as they are quite tech heavy now. I've even spoken with Corvette engineers at GM and the blow these issues off like politicians, turning to what they like instead of disageeing with me and pointing out where I'm wrong. But, hey, I know we like fast, cheap cars and vettes (c5s anyway) are fast and cheap (c4s aren't so fast). Buy that's just my 2c.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/10/18 7:42 a.m.

Alright, guy. wink

penultimeta
penultimeta HalfDork
2/10/18 6:09 p.m.

10k would get you an SMG E46 M3, an e39 540i-6 with enough money left over to cover high mileage M62 costs, A c5 (Corvette's are polarizing, but it fits your criteria), an 04-06 GTO, or a 1st gen CTS-V (ok, pushing it on this one and would require careful combing of c-list and other classifieds. Might require a fly and drive.)    This is just off the top of my head. 

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/10/18 7:25 p.m.

As mentioned earlier, Mustangs are also a solid GT option.   Loafing V8s can get surprisingly good highway mileage.  Mine averages 21 in mixed driving.  $10k will get you a solid S197.

steelynorm
steelynorm New Reader
2/13/18 5:35 p.m.

What about latee model lexus sc400?

Anyone Have experience with one

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
opTltBINnTempXibKT9LMp9PRWtXAQiZ28ZaMqYAKMghnlmUUPdRnSzV8xhQrj5z