Hasbro
Hasbro HalfDork
9/4/08 11:43 p.m.

Not sure if there is such a thing. Sort of a cross between a motorcycle tire and a formula v tire. Something for high mpg on a super light car. Or would a cycle tire work?

aeronca65t
aeronca65t Reader
9/5/08 4:07 a.m.

I'm building an Austin Seven Ulster replica (Sprite powered) and it has skinny ~Nankang 135-15 Tires~ (they look thinner than the picture)

Is that the sort of tire you're looking for?

scottgib
scottgib New Reader
9/5/08 7:56 a.m.
SoloSonett
SoloSonett Reader
9/5/08 7:59 a.m.

Coker tire is making some V rated ( or higher ) for vintage racers, check 'em out

Hasbro
Hasbro HalfDork
9/5/08 8:40 a.m.

Just fishing for ideas but I'm thinking of a vehicle somewhere in between these two. Very light with low rolling resistance.

Volkswagon 200 mpg: Volkswagon 1 litre 200 mpg car

Gravity racer: Mazda Gravity Racer

TJ
TJ
9/5/08 5:59 p.m.

Those are tall and skinny tires right there.

beaulieu
beaulieu New Reader
9/5/08 7:14 p.m.

your tire is also your brakes , if you do not have enough tire on the ground the momentum will just push you , full brakes on or not

Hasbro
Hasbro HalfDork
9/5/08 7:35 p.m.
beaulieu wrote: your tire is also your brakes , if you do not have enough tire on the ground the momentum will just push you , full brakes on or not

Good point. But four tires stopping a car that weighs the same as a medium sized motorcycle and having a larger total contact patch should be quite sufficient.

Hasbro
Hasbro HalfDork
9/7/08 5:27 p.m.

I'm sure the VW's tires are one off. The Naking's that aeronca65t suggested aren't too bad, maybe a bit too heavy. Any other suggestions? Would motorcycle tires be a bad choice? The fact that they are rounded. Will there sidewalls handle car stresses? Each tire would have to handle 200 lbs static.

Volkswagon

Hasbro
Hasbro HalfDork
9/20/08 2:51 a.m.
aeronca65t wrote: I'm building an Austin Seven Ulster replica (Sprite powered) and it has skinny ~Nankang 135-15 Tires~ (they look thinner than the picture) Is that the sort of tire you're looking for?

Haven't responded for a while, been checking out alternatives. The Nankings seem to be pretty light and narrow for a car tire, just wish there was a lighter one.

V This is sort of what I'm thinking, but with a lower chassis and maybe a 20-40 hp combustion engine if there is one light enough. Not sure if a combustion drivetrain can be as light as a small electric set up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFDi6ksvON4

This pretty neat, too: http://bugev.net/BugE_in_Media.html

edit: Just found these but don't know if they are customs or in production. Photobucket

oldopelguy
oldopelguy HalfDork
9/20/08 9:15 a.m.

You could look into sidecar tires too. Motorcycle sizes and weights, but with a mostly flat contact patch.

billy3esq
billy3esq Dork
9/20/08 11:03 a.m.

That Michelin looks sort of like a modern space-saver spare.

Hasbro
Hasbro HalfDork
9/20/08 2:46 p.m.
oldopelguy wrote: You could look into sidecar tires too. Motorcycle sizes and weights, but with a mostly flat contact patch.

Hey, that's a creative idea! They come in 18 and 19" with 3 1/2-4" widths. Certainly a good size. I'll look into them. Motorcycle sidecar tire

Pretty cool researching these tires. Didn't know that Royal Enfield and Ural motorcycles are still being manufactured!

ThatKid
ThatKid New Reader
9/20/08 9:44 p.m.
Hasbro wrote: Just fishing for ideas but I'm thinking of a vehicle somewhere in between these two. Very light with low rolling resistance. Volkswagon 200 mpg: Volkswagon 1 litre 200 mpg car Gravity racer: Mazda Gravity Racer

Gravity racers use 20" bicycle tires

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hQxSPGm3VWmX8hdgFuyZOF9CfMr8BO1NsRzJpQiaxNF2dYpJ2iX0pSIDsrtf6bMB