1 2
jrao83
jrao83 New Reader
7/1/10 7:16 p.m.

Like the title says. About 7 years ago I had a 91 740T and sold it. I have never lost that place in my heart for a turbo volvo though. Thinking of getting a new to me volvo. I am just not sure what to get. I do know I want a turbo, but dont want AWD. I am thinking of sticking to rear drive, but am open to the right front drive. Someone help me see the light and point me in a direction.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/1/10 7:25 p.m.

I'd stick with a 740 or 940 Turbo.

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
7/1/10 7:46 p.m.

1991 was the last year you could get a 740 Turbo with a 5 speed manual trans.
1995 was the last year you could get a 940 Turbo but all were automatics.
Introcuced in 1993, all versions of the Volvo 850/ S70/ V70 have been primarily fwd vehicles with awd drive thrown in as well. The awd transfer case has been know to be a weak point and expensive to repair.

In other topics, if you choose a volvo with leather interior I highly recommend black or gray over tan. In my opinion the tan leather is far inferior to the darker. The tan does not seem to wear as well and I think much more likely to have splits and tears.

grimmelshanks
grimmelshanks Reader
7/1/10 7:57 p.m.

240t!! i think they look cooler

m4ff3w
7/1/10 8:28 p.m.
grimmelshanks wrote: 240t!! i think they look cooler

K-Jet sucks!

m4ff3w
7/1/10 8:29 p.m.
jrw1621 wrote: In other topics, if you choose a volvo with leather interior I highly recommend black or gray over tan. In my opinion the tan leather is far inferior to the darker. The tan does not seem to wear as well and I think much more likely to have splits and tears.

I think Grey is just as inferior as tan.

Oddly enough, almost every red leather interior I have seen has been nearly perfect.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog HalfDork
7/1/10 8:48 p.m.

You can pick up some good discarded projects for cheap on turbobricks. I dare not look myself, lest I buy more useless cra.....er, super deals.

tuna55
tuna55 HalfDork
7/1/10 9:05 p.m.

The seats will all be cracked and split. All of them. Unless it's super new or never been sat in.

Still very comfy though.

JFX001
JFX001 SuperDork
7/1/10 9:38 p.m.

I'm thinking that the 240/740/940 Volvo should be added to the GRM list...

Miata

E30

P71

Astro

Volvo 240/740/940

Sorry for the thread jack...snag a Volvo, have some fun...all the cool kids are doing it.

jrao83
jrao83 New Reader
7/1/10 10:17 p.m.

In reply to m4ff3w:

Are the 740 and 940 about the same, or is one better than the other?

11110000 New Reader
7/2/10 3:41 a.m.

The 940 seemed to have slightly better interior materials, a slightly stiffer feel (all 940s have SIPS, the Side Impact Protection System, versus just the last year or two of 740s.) The 940 sedan has the high butt/sloping rear window vs. the chopped roofline of the 740 - the wagons are basically indistinguishable. Sometime about '93 piston oil squirters became standard. That's about it.

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/2/10 5:50 a.m.
11110000 wrote: The 940 seemed to have slightly better interior materials, a slightly stiffer feel (all 940s have SIPS, the Side Impact Protection System, versus just the last year or two of 740s.) The 940 sedan has the high butt/sloping rear window vs. the chopped roofline of the 740 - the wagons are basically indistinguishable. Sometime about '93 piston oil squirters became standard. That's about it.

Isn't there something different about the rear ends of 940s?

Edit: later 960s had independent rears (transverse leaf spring like a Corvette, according to Wikipedia).

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 New Reader
7/2/10 6:49 a.m.

I had a '93 (or was it '94?) 945T. I loved that car! Turned out to be a little too small for our family. It was a short stop on the way to Minivan-ville.

I recall the car had an automatic locking differential. I thought the seats were in pretty good shape (mine were tan leather) but the driver's side carpet had a big rip in it. Everything on the car worked, except the stereo, which I replaced.

Stay with the rear-drivers. I vote 940.

m4ff3w
7/2/10 8:50 a.m.
jrao83 wrote: In reply to m4ff3w: Are the 740 and 940 about the same, or is one better than the other?

The 91 and 92 740s are nearly the same as 940s. I mean, not much difference other than badge, with the exception of SIPS.

The only difference in the rear end, was the 940SE, which got IRS. But there are not a whole lot of them around.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy Reader
7/2/10 8:55 a.m.

Depending upon your skills and what you ultimately want out of your car, I think the best combo is to find whatever body style of 240 you like best, then find a later 740 that has all the cheap plastic busted inside it, and swap the 740's efi turbo into the 240. Best of both worlds for a fun car.

plance1
plance1 HalfDork
7/2/10 10:58 a.m.

I've been debating getting rid of my black 940 turbo wagon and I've been contacting various folks about it. But seeing as how I have owned the car for coming up on a year now and I have only driven it once (straight from the transport truck to the suspension shop where it sat) reading this post is making me want to keep the car and actually drive it a second time!

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog HalfDork
7/2/10 11:56 a.m.
plance1 wrote: I've been debating getting rid of my black 940 turbo wagon and I've been contacting various folks about it.

I've never been contacted

Thats one cleeeeeeeen brick you've got there. If you decide to sell it please put me on the mailing list.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Reader
7/2/10 6:57 p.m.
plance1 wrote: I've been debating getting rid of my black 940 turbo wagon and I've been contacting various folks about it. But seeing as how I have owned the car for coming up on a year now and I have only driven it once (straight from the transport truck to the suspension shop where it sat) reading this post is making me want to keep the car and actually drive it a second time!

:Drool:

For some reason, I've wanted one of those lately, with those exact wheels, and in black too.

Lugnut
Lugnut HalfDork
7/2/10 8:20 p.m.

I have been thinking about selling my '86 745t 4spd. It's starting to give me some trouble and I think I would rather play with something different than keep project-ing it.

I've had a really fun time with it, but I have had it for more than 24 months, which really signals to me that it's time to move on. :) Where do you live?

jrao83
jrao83 New Reader
7/2/10 9:55 p.m.

In reply to plance1:

Very nice. thats about what I want, something about the wagon is awesome. Although I would be more than happy with a sadan that clean as well.

jrao83
jrao83 New Reader
7/2/10 10:02 p.m.
Lugnut wrote: I have been thinking about selling my '86 745t 4spd. It's starting to give me some trouble and I think I would rather play with something different than keep project-ing it. I've had a really fun time with it, but I have had it for more than 24 months, which really signals to me that it's time to move on. :) Where do you live?

Way down here is FL just outside of gainesville, home of the gatormationals and the 20xx challenge. IMHO the best two things this area has to offer.

jrao83
jrao83 New Reader
7/2/10 10:03 p.m.

I saw a few of those 850R and they are pretty sweet too. Sad part is they are front drive.

Mikey52_1
Mikey52_1 New Reader
7/2/10 10:33 p.m.
Junkyard_Dog wrote: You can pick up some good discarded projects for cheap on turbobricks. I dare not look myself, lest I buy more useless cra.....er, super deals.

SO!!!

Ther are more of us than just me, that will doo that sort of thing!

Great to know, really.

plance1
plance1 HalfDork
7/2/10 11:21 p.m.
Junkyard_Dog wrote:
plance1 wrote: I've been debating getting rid of my black 940 turbo wagon and I've been contacting various folks about it.
I've never been contacted Thats one cleeeeeeeen brick you've got there. If you decide to sell it please put me on the mailing list.

I sent the guy who started this thread a pm, but seriously Im not anxious to hear back! My financial situation has improved enough (laid off for 6 months) that I may actually start having fun with the thing instead of selling.

plance1
plance1 HalfDork
7/2/10 11:23 p.m.
SilverFleet wrote:
plance1 wrote: I've been debating getting rid of my black 940 turbo wagon and I've been contacting various folks about it. But seeing as how I have owned the car for coming up on a year now and I have only driven it once (straight from the transport truck to the suspension shop where it sat) reading this post is making me want to keep the car and actually drive it a second time!
:Drool: For some reason, I've wanted one of those lately, with those exact wheels, and in black too.

Thanks. I don't know much about the different models, it seems like there are 940 turbos out there that have different wheels and chrome trim which never appealed to me. Appearance wise, I intend to remove the pinstripes and do a mild tint job on the windows.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3YHAJBs4I2iJCLFVi7l3qhk9QpJLYem16MbaidWNgUMvJzIJv9OSbw2zxb9TVwNV