Steve
Steve New Reader
3/8/21 4:15 p.m.

Having freed up some space in the herd, I'm looking for something to compliment the family mover (Sienna), and my commuter (Vibe GT). I've found that the Vibe scratches the itch for a reasonably quick, well handling, engaging car that also still has power windows, a sunroof and air conditioning, at an incredibly cheap operating cost and buy in. The Sienna obviously does what it does really well. To complete the trio, I'd like an SUV to cover soft road duties (we live in the PNW), MTB hauling, and the occasional snow storm. Maybe pull a small camping trailer someday.

I was really, really close to pulling the trigger on a 5.9 Grand Cherokee, but learned right at the end that my kiddo's rear facing car seat won't fit behind the driver's seat as it does in the Vibe. As much as I really, really wanted this one to work, had to walk away even though the price was fair, but that one hurt. I owned a 4.0 ZJ for a long time, and always desired to own a 5.9, but priorities change, and if there isn't space for the little dude, there isn't space for the little dude. Also, fuel, but, you know, 5.9 liters! 

Okay, so, GRM hive, help me identify potential candidates out there that I may not know about.

• Real selectable 4x4 (I would prefer no AWD transfer cases)
  • Roomy enough backseat for giant baby bucket
  • Roomy enough cargo area for all the fun stuff
  • Towing capacity for trailer and large MTB rack
  • Decent ground clearance (why I'm counting Subaru's out)
  • A niceish place to be for longer drives
  • Simple, easy, reliable, decent aftermarket as that is a good indication of parts availability
  • Inexpensive, which means likely in that early 2000's model year range. At least while we have our second mortgage (daycare) going on

I'm drawn to Jeep's, since that is what I know, but with the ZJ out, and the XJ even smaller, I'm thinking the WJ is probably just about the same size. I'd rather not go anywhere near the WK models, so I may just have to count them out. Being a Toyota fan, 4Runner's always interested me, though they carry quite the outdoorsy tax out here. I've heard of reliable Montero's, but I know nothing about them. Surprisingly, I've also heard of Trailblazers being quite the usable rig.

I have brand preferences, but no allegiance, just needs to run well when regularly maintained, and carry the team. Not looking to build a crawler or overlander or anything wild, but I'd like to not wince every time I see the giant braking bumps on the forest roads.

Thanks in advance!

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/8/21 5:21 p.m.

2nd Gen explorer, I own 3. They are cheap as hell, there are parts everywhere and those parts are cheap ( outer control arm? $2.83. inner control arm? $25). My latest one was a 123k mile 98 with the 5.0 V8. It cost me $600. I've owned one since 2004 too, 243k miles on it.

The V8 only comes in AWD but it's well done IMO. The only other engine that exists is the 4.0 OHV v6. I cannot stress this enough....DO NOT BUY THE 4.0 SOHC ENGINE!!!!. They are absolutely terrible engines that require you to pull the engine to replace one of the many timing chains. They only have power above 3500 rpm and get terrible mpg. 

The V8 is rated to tow like 7k too. I've never really needed low range in mine and I've gotten it stuck twice( once was because I was in mud that was over the door sills. They are remarkably good at basic NW driving and light off-road stuff.

95-01 is the years it was made with the sport Trac holding on for another year. The 3rd gen is horrid and you don't want one. 1st Gen is ok but nowhere near as good as 2nd gen

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/8/21 5:29 p.m.

I liked my Gen3 Montero even though it is down with trans trouble at 218k miles.  

A "budget version" of a Land Cruiser.  Not as reliable and not as expensive.  The 3.5L or later 3.8L V6 is not powerful but geared stout.  In the limited version (leather seats) you get a locking center diff.  Go for going places.  Towing is only 5,000 lbs and at that weight it is slow.  

I have hauled kid seats with ease.  There is even a 3rd row but the 3rd row is not good for car seats.  Not really good for booster seats even.  

Montero Gen3 is 2001-2006

Very comfy hyw cruiser.  

The Austrailians got diesels but otherwise this video is a stock truck:  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/8/21 6:09 p.m.

Or, get the 5.9L and buy a different car seat.  There is quite a bit of variation in seats and how much room they require.  Some are beasts!  

Third gen monteros also don't seem to bring the same prices as the first or second gens. People don't like the idea of an SUV with IRS, which drives the price down. Wouldn't bother me at all. Toyota Sequoias are rad too, and while they aren't immune to the Toyota Tax, they don't get it nearly as bad as a land cruiser or 4runner.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/8/21 8:18 p.m.

The Gen 3 prices are not rising as fast as the earlier versions.  At 2001-2006 the Gen3 are just 15-20 years old.  The Gen2 are now seeing a lot of 25 yr old JDM models arriving and those are not cheap either but are often diesel.  

I like to think that the Montero's pricing is relative to the Land Cruiser pricing.  A Montero may costs only 33% of what a LC costs but the price of LCs are rising fast and should bring up the price of the Montero too (at 33% of the LC price.)  

In reply to John Welsh :

What's that saying about a rising tide...

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/8/21 8:30 p.m.

Nissan Pathfinder

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/8/21 8:33 p.m.
thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to John Welsh :

What's that saying about a rising tide...

...lifts all SUVs?  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/8/21 8:36 p.m.
yupididit said:

Nissan Pathfinder

Standard with a 4.0L V6 but there was a rare 5.6L V8 version too.  It's the Armada engine in the smaller chassis Pathfinder.  The near 400 hp coming from the 5.6L will have you forgetting about the 5.9L.

yupididit
3/8/21 8:49 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

I thought it was more like 300hp but still plenty enough for a midsize SUV. Seems to be a good choice given the requirements. 

yupididit
3/8/21 8:50 p.m.

How bad was the Jeep Commander, since you like Jeeps lol. 

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/8/21 9:48 p.m.

I like my sequoia, would check your boxes I think. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
3/8/21 10:16 p.m.
yupididit said:

In reply to John Welsh :

I thought it was more like 300hp but still plenty enough for a midsize SUV. Seems to be a good choice given the requirements. 

You are correct. 310 HP in that v8 

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
3/8/21 10:17 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

The rental place I used to work for now rents Hemi Commanders. They have been very happy with the reliability as rental vehicles. Also, their 16yo son seems to like how fast they go when you step on the skinny pedal.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
3/9/21 5:57 a.m.

Late Isuzu Trooper ticks all your boxes and has way stouter running gear than the other options. 5000 lb. towing capacity, too. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/9/21 9:05 a.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Yes, 300hp.  I had confused it with the later version of the 5.6L with 400 hp

FMB42
FMB42 New Reader
3/9/21 9:33 a.m.

I'd recommend a Pathfinder as well. Pretty cheap in some parts of the US, reasonably reliable, just enough power with the 4.0 eng. The V8 versions are not that common and are said to be difficult to work on. The 5.6 is also know for catalytic converter failures that can sometimes destroy the engine (these cats are part of the exh manifold(s) and, as such, can be pricey to replace).

Steve
Steve New Reader
3/9/21 11:28 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

I wish. We have two car seats, one in the Vibe, one in the Sienna. The Sienna gets the luxo-cruiser seat, and I have the the "slim-fit" version of the same seat. I'm not sure it gets much smaller, to be honest. The back of my seat is right up against it, but it does just fit!

The ZJ isn't a long rig, and the spare tire in the rear along with the characteristic short wheelbase puts a premium on passenger cabin space. Anyways, it just won't go without moving the seat out of the acceptable angle of installation.

Great suggestions so far everyone. I hadn't considered a Trooper, or the Pathfinder.

spandak
spandak HalfDork
3/10/21 12:23 a.m.

Sequoia? It's a bigger 4Runner with less tax

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/10/21 6:52 a.m.

In reply to spandak :

That's also what I said.  Awesome people mover, and insanely comfy seats according to my butt-o-meter.

Crxpilot
Crxpilot Reader
3/10/21 10:47 a.m.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/reader-rides/16590/

"She's got it where it counts, kid."  Pretty homely inside, but a low mile GMT800 HD will last through the next few decades.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/10/21 1:14 p.m.

Trailblazers are getting a bit long in the tooth, but the Atlas is a brilliant powerplant.

Acadia/Traverse is pretty nice, but hard to find them in 4wd.  Mostly AWD.

Sequoia was another suggestion.  Did they suffer from the same frame rot as Tundras?

FMB42
FMB42 New Reader
3/10/21 3:16 p.m.

Frame rot. Now that's a very informative comment. This is a not so uncommon, but a deal killer, problem for more than a few Japanese frame type vehicles. Well, were salt is used during the winter months anyway.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AhW1bPB0FOP7hn7lUVcEnEHRwP8TbrrrHDu0dlxdQeiQcCCfom1FDXibp1yTu7tq