singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
5/6/15 2:09 p.m.

I went all the way through the box flare thread and this is the only good example I found

There is the hoonicorn, of course. The paint work is silly but the body is great.

Any other examples? My dad has a decent but incomplete 65 coupe in the shed that I might just have to talk him out of.

Also, this is sweet.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
5/6/15 2:12 p.m.

Technically, I don't think those are box flares.

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
5/6/15 2:29 p.m.

In reply to bravenrace:

You are correct sir. I am looking for box flares. I do like the giant trailer fender look on the Hoonicorn.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/6/15 2:48 p.m.

http://corner-carvers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32889&highlight=Mustang+Preston

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
5/6/15 2:57 p.m.

In reply to bmw88rider:

Interesting, not quite my cup of tea.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
5/6/15 2:59 p.m.

In reply to bmw88rider:

Not a 65 either.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
5/6/15 3:01 p.m.

In reply to singleslammer:

That's going to be a tough one. In all my years of being into Mustang's, I'm not sure I've ever seen a 65 coupe with box flares. I'd like to see it, though.

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
5/6/15 3:11 p.m.

Yeah, the first gen coupe seems to be mostly kept stock. The fastbacks seem to get some subtle flares for racing but that doesn't look right to me on a coupe.

The final version of Block's stang is all carbon fiber. I prefer what the steel fenders looked like. Nice and flat.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/6/15 3:19 p.m.

If you read through, It's a tube moly frame with 65 quarters and roof and a 68 grill assembly to fit in all of the air intake. It's like a DTM inspired 65 Mustang. One of the most impressive "Mustang" build I've come across in a long time especially considering he is not a pro shop and just a guy with a kid and a wife.

I've personally never seen a Stock style mustang with Box flares either.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
5/6/15 3:29 p.m.

In reply to bmw88rider:

Sorry, I just looked at the picture you posted and saw the 68 front end.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/6/15 4:18 p.m.

The worst flares I've ever seen on just about any car were on a pair of '65 Mustangs that were in Mustang Monthly back in the early eighties. Some guy had a coupe that got the Ranchero treatment, and a fastback. Both were white with gold stripes, and for flares he used Volkswagen Beetle fenders. There was nothing subtle about them.

Thankfully, I have no photos.

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
5/6/15 6:32 p.m.

In reply to Woody:

Those sound terrible. I was pretty sure that they would be when you said it was in a mustang mag in the 80s.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/6/15 6:43 p.m.
singleslammer wrote: In reply to Woody: Those sound terrible. I was pretty sure that they would be when you said it was in a mustang mag in the 80s.

In the early to mid eighties, Mustang Monthly was almost 100% purist cars.

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
5/6/15 7:02 p.m.

In reply to Woody:

I imagine that section was pretty universally hated.

Lancer007
Lancer007 Dork
5/6/15 9:54 p.m.

I don't know what year this thing is but its pretty cool looking.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
5/7/15 8:17 a.m.

In reply to Lancer007:

I'm pretty sure thats the same car shown farther up in the thread, or a very similar build.

Rad_Capz
Rad_Capz HalfDork
5/7/15 8:43 a.m.

I think thats Prestons 67. Build thread here http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=37422

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pHxzOacJmuz6l5qm4pjVDcQh9gpQab6fZEda8UM9iq3PlRnIiFVn5dRSiGAA4MrM