1 2
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
8/2/22 12:42 p.m.
feature_image

Love the thrill of detailing your car in real life, but run out real cars to clean? Good news, now you can detail to your hearts content in the virtual world with Car Detailing Simulator:

Car Detailing Simulator, you get a chance to renew any car and restore its splendor at the request of demanding customers! A nice and well-groomed …

Read the rest of the story

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/2/22 1:20 p.m.

So the traditional method of rubbing things while watching online isn't working I take it.  They need a new way to stimulate vigorous rubbing?  Hmm.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/2/22 1:30 p.m.

Detailing cars is a big hobby of mine, I get a lot of enjoyment and satisfaction out of it. A video game to "simulate" that is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard of.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
8/2/22 1:49 p.m.

Man who decides to make these things? I saw this one not long ago. Clearly made by someone who had never tightened a bolt.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/bike-mechanic-simulator-2023-brings-wrenching-to-the-virtual-world.html

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
8/2/22 2:11 p.m.

I will gladly allow someone to detail my car in the real world if they run out of cars.

te72
te72 HalfDork
8/2/22 2:59 p.m.

On the surface, I don't "get" these games, and this is speaking as someone who has been gaming for ~35 years now. On the other hand... this would be a cheap way to find out if you might be interested in starting a detailing business or working for one, without much investment.

Same goes for Lawn Mower Simulator, Truck Driving Simulator, Goat Simulator, Power Washing Simulator, Farm Simulator, Train Simulator... all of which are real, by the way.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
8/2/22 3:05 p.m.
te72 said:

On the surface, I don't "get" these games, and this is speaking as someone who has been gaming for ~35 years now. On the other hand... this would be a cheap way to find out if you might be interested in starting a detailing business or working for one, without much investment.

Same goes for Lawn Mower Simulator, Truck Driving Simulator, Goat Simulator, Power Washing Simulator, Farm Simulator, Train Simulator... all of which are real, by the way.

Remember that one big aspect of some of the larger open world games is just doing chores.  Animal Crossing for example.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/2/22 3:05 p.m.
te72 said:

Goat Simulator is...not like the others laugh

landstuhltaylor
landstuhltaylor New Reader
8/2/22 3:37 p.m.
te72 said:

Lawn mowing simulator is free right now. We're in the process of buying a few acres, and it at least taught me that I should really only be looking at zero turns. If I can no longer pick it up and pivot like my little electric one, the leftover areas become a massive pain.

But yeah the game sucks. Entertaining for about 3 minutes of mowing time.

I find it fascinating from a cultural/anthropology standpoint.  I started to feel this way when I saw my teenager watching videos of other teenagers playing video games.  My dad thought I was a lazy POS for playing video games of sports instead of playing the actual sport; my son's generation is too lazy to even play the actual game.  I can't stand the sound of people chewing or breathing heavily, but apparently there are millions of people who will sit there listening to ASMR of that stuff.  I never thought I would feel like such an old man at such a young age, yet here I am.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/2/22 4:20 p.m.

A car detailing game... oh wow... I have to send that to my ex-.  She loves detailing her cars.  I've watched her spend an entire weekend on one car. 

Add it a mechanical and deferred maintenance side of the game and you're on your way to "stonecurbing tycoon" the video game that's about flipping your way to fortune. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/2/22 5:00 p.m.
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) said:

I find it fascinating from a cultural/anthropology standpoint.  I started to feel this way when I saw my teenager watching videos of other teenagers playing video games.  My dad thought I was a lazy POS for playing video games of sports instead of playing the actual sport; my son's generation is too lazy to even play the actual game.  I can't stand the sound of people chewing or breathing heavily, but apparently there are millions of people who will sit there listening to ASMR of that stuff.  I never thought I would feel like such an old man at such a young age, yet here I am.

I play video games, not as much as I used to.........but I really don't understand stuff like Twitch, where people will sometimes PAY ACTUAL MONEY to WATCH someone else play a video game. 

Now get off my lawn so I can yell at the clouds in peace. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/2/22 5:06 p.m.

Farming simulator can be a good time. I just started power washing simulator and it sucks compared even to lawn mowing simulator.

I thought they were stupid for a long time, but they're surprisingly relaxing, and the good ones like farming sim are really easy to get hooked on.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/2/22 5:11 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:
te72 said:

Truth. Goat Simulator is berkeleying awesome.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/2/22 5:27 p.m.

I do enjoying detailing cars. The big thing: I enjoy detailing our cars, not yours. :) 

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Dork
8/2/22 8:49 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:
te72 said:

I have been thinking about becoming a goat but it seems like a big commitment so being able to try it out on a simulator has been beneficial.

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
8/3/22 9:07 a.m.

If any digital detailers want to take their craft to the next level, I have opportunities for real world detailing. I'll even offer the experience for FREE to the right candidate. laugh

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/3/22 9:19 a.m.

My 14 year old son goes through spats where he is all about the Mechanics Simulator.  I get that game, go to the junk yard, by car, fix it up, sell car and start again.  It has helped him with cars though, he is pretty good at figuring out what the different parts are called.

hunter47
hunter47 Reader
8/3/22 10:59 a.m.

Detailing cars is a necessary evil imo. I'd rather be driving the damn thing. 

It's more enjoyable to drive when it's clean inside and out, so I "detail" (wash + wax + vacuum). 

No way in hell would I ever play a game about it. I see the appeal but it is not my jam. 

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/3/22 11:08 a.m.

Sad that even less-desirable actions are being made into "games" for people who spend their life in a digital existence rather than just go live a normal life of boring tasks like the rest of us. Besides these games are intended to get an addicted effect out of humans, especially children. 

for what its worth i was a professional detailer for years back in my 20's.  I still very much enjoy cleaning things and making them look new, i just dont keep up with the vehicles. i also "gamed" a bit, mostly grand turismo. Inevitably i would finish a race, get a better time, etc, be happy for a sec then feel bad that i wasted time on the game and was happy about something that didnt matter at all in real life. 

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
8/3/22 11:22 a.m.

Hey, I love simulation games. They're absolutely my favorite. But, I'm more inclined to do games for activities that I can't actually do - such as run a zoo or theme park, or manage a baseball organization, or global conquest. Maybe kids (and some adults) these days, especially ones with helicopter parents, never get the opportunity to detail a car?

hunter47
hunter47 Reader
8/3/22 11:24 a.m.

In reply to TJL (Forum Supporter) :

Nothing really matters in real life, my friend. Do what makes you happy because life sucks and then you die. If it makes you happy, then it matters to you, and that's what's important. 

te72
te72 HalfDork
8/4/22 3:10 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

Remember that one big aspect of some of the larger open world games is just doing chores.  Animal Crossing for example.

This is true! Also part of why I never play those games, I have plenty of other chores to do. =P

te72
te72 HalfDork
8/4/22 3:11 a.m.
GameboyRMH said:

Oh come on now, Goat Simulator taught me everything I know about being a goat, which, by the way, is pretty awesome.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7jkOsv2EBdQVvCIyt8L8fQqHMEkvlXClUYADD7rD2RSH9HsHpTHAk7QgUWuPsjfH