Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
3/20/23 5:11 p.m.

I am building a 5.3 powered tube frame race car. Currently have an 01 Suburban engine and accessory setup in the car. I had to swap to a low profile car style intake to clear the hood. The alternator on the truck accessories however sticks up past the hood, and the power steering pump is awfully close to my control arm mounting hardware. I'm trying to find my options, and have made myself cross-eyed looking at ICT billet, dirty dingo, Amazon, and eBay at all the aftermarket options. I'm not entirely certain what I need and how to get there. I would prefer to keep the truck power steering pump and alternator and crank pulley as I have multiple spares of each on the Shelf. I'd also prefer not to dump hundreds of dollars into this if I can help it. It legitimately seems that if I could keep my truck power steering pump in its current location and low Mount and alternator in the same spot on the opposite side of the block it would work pretty well. I have attached a picture of what I'm working with and welcome any feedback and ideas y'all may have.

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
3/20/23 5:26 p.m.

You will probably have to go fbody bracketry, ps pump, alternator, water pump, and balancer to get it all in there under the hood, unless you want to cta-v....

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
3/20/23 5:26 p.m.

Unless it needs to be "pretty" why not raid the LS parts bin called the junkyard.  There are like 20 different iterations of different tensioners, pulleys, and brackets.  I'd mix and match what may work and pay for a new tensioner when you figure out what works.  

Dusterbd13-michael
3/20/23 5:46 p.m.

In reply to 84FSP :

Problem there is tge yards i have access to are only full of what i already have. So, no real help there. And i had planned to replace that tensioner. Its pretty bad....

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Dork
3/20/23 6:20 p.m.

No direct help but maybe seeing what other swaps have done might help?

Have also discovered BMW people take this 'look' of photos a lot more readily

Dusterbd13-michael
3/20/23 6:34 p.m.

In reply to DjGreggieP :

Do you have a link on the bottom one? It has possibility. Or what search string you used?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/20/23 6:43 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

In reply to DjGreggieP :

Do you have a link on the bottom one? It has possibility. Or what search string you used?

No PS and no water pump - that's not a junkyard build. The AC side looks like CTS.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/20/23 6:46 p.m.

The truck, F-body and Y-body (Corvette) early LS engines used different belt alignment. So as soon as you want to retain some of those components, you're locking yourself in to a limited selection. If you want the truck belt alignment, you're stuck with truck applications.

GM has a media center with pretty pics of every engine taken from the front. It's a great way to identify a different accessory layout that might work for you. I've got a stash somewhere, but here's a start:

https://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/photos.html

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/20/23 7:10 p.m.

Edit: reading from my phone is hard. I feel like I saw the solution for this recently on sloppy mechanics. 

edit again: sent you a couple texts Michael

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/20/23 7:39 p.m.

camaro alternator location 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/20/23 7:39 p.m.

https://www.nookandtranny.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Session_ID=c2f10f27c83c13d86f618f9c40ab1121&?Store_Code=NookandTranny&Screen=LSX_INFO

Now with a link!

Here ya go.  All the Gen3 engine swap info you want with respect to accessory drive placement and belt depth, as well as a bunch of other stuff.  All in one place.

NorseDave
NorseDave HalfDork
3/20/23 9:02 p.m.

I'm not sure about newer stuff, but seems like the LS6 / CTS-V arrangement is one option that would work for you.

Racebrick
Racebrick Reader
3/20/23 9:50 p.m.

This is ict stuff with truck spacing. Ps, and alt are lower than the water pump outlet.

Dusterbd13-michael
3/21/23 5:57 a.m.

In reply to Racebrick :

Which version/part number?

gsettle
gsettle New Reader
3/21/23 8:10 a.m.

I had to make a PS pump bracket cause the truck one  let my PS pulley hit the steering box. I cut off the PS part of the factory bracket and was able to still use the top of it for the alt.  Dug through scrap pile for stuff to make new PS bracket. Clamped a level (straight edge) to the crank pulley and the PS pulley wile tacking everything together to make sure they were lined up. Would have done the same with Alt if I'd needed to.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/21/23 8:14 a.m.

In reply to Racebrick :

That definitely looks like the easy button 

Racebrick
Racebrick Reader
3/21/23 10:24 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

In reply to Racebrick :

Which version/part number?

The alternator part is ict billet 551399-3. The power steering bracket should be  551785-3. Hope this helps.

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Dork
3/21/23 10:25 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

https://www.vorshlag.com/forums/forum/vorshlag-v8-swap-talk/engine-swap-discussions/7345-vorshlag-rhd-e36-ls3-v8-swap-development

This is the bottom one. I searched 'e36 ls swap' then went to images. Tried that for a few common swap vehicles, E36 seems to be common to have 'open' pictures. I know a few local guys have swapped LS's into a variety of cars for drifting and they try to keep it as junkyard friendly as possible.

https://www.vorshlag.com/forums/forum/vorshlag-v8-swap-talk/engine-swap-discussions/6979-vorshlag-miata-ls1-alpha-project

Post 13 on this link shows the 'why' 98-02 Camaro accessory drive, also shows the same company doing an LS swap on a Miata, but they go over everything, not just the engine swap

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/21/23 10:32 a.m.

duster, if you end up sticking with a combo of OE parts, i have the C5 LS1 alt / PS bracket same as this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/373286094187

it was in a box of parts that i've already over-recouped, so i'd be glad to throw it in a box and send it your way.

HotNotch
HotNotch New Reader
3/21/23 12:21 p.m.

You can use the factory alternator truck bracket, trim an ear, and rotate the alternator to get it to sit lower.  You have to make a 2nd bracket to hold it, but it can be made of bar stock and washers if needed.  Let me find the youtube video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VvQcUkhCFA

We did it and it clears the stock mustang hood in our Autocross Fox Body. 

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/21/23 1:50 p.m.

For documentation purposes, this is what I was discussing with Michael offline yesterday.  Link to Ebay listing 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/22/23 7:25 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Don't forget to do this.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/23/23 8:18 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

I wonder if that's the cause of the squeak in Tony's Power Wagon?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
60pKjeQLRVq1naAViE12xuJzGRdJWapAQovMzrCD2uNGKtt4JsWDDXCg5qFuedFQ