sachilles
sachilles HalfDork
10/6/10 3:29 p.m.

Long story short, I'm putting my car back together after cage install(yes this project is still in progess) for next weekend. I had intended to to put poly windows in the rear windows, but I've run out of time and money to make it happen before the next event. Considering the pain it was to pull them out last time, what can I do on the re-install to make them easier to remove in the near future? The goal is to not break the glass in case anyone was going to suggest a hammer. I'm not concerned with a water tight seal...how much adhessive do I really need to keep the glass in place?

mndsm
mndsm Dork
10/6/10 3:30 p.m.

Duct tape?

mw
mw HalfDork
10/6/10 4:51 p.m.

What about that caulking you can buy to winterize your house windows? It's supposed to be removable so you can open the windows in the spring. I'm not sure how well it would hold, but it's a suggesion.

Raze
Raze Dork
10/6/10 4:54 p.m.
sachilles wrote: Long story short, I'm putting my car back together after cage install(yes this project is still in progess) for next weekend. I had intended to to put poly windows in the rear windows, but I've run out of time and money to make it happen before the next event. Considering the pain it was to pull them out last time, what can I do on the re-install to make them easier to remove in the near future? The goal is to not break the glass in case anyone was going to suggest a hammer. I'm not concerned with a water tight seal...how much adhessive do I really need to keep the glass in place?

hmmm, question about amount of adhesive but necessary to have for a race event, I'm going to go with preferably stock levels for safety, I can't think a windshield or rear glass ripping out around a corner would be safe for anyone involved. Does your sanctioning body allow you to run without?

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard GRM+ Memberand SonDork
10/6/10 5:08 p.m.

Exactly what I was thinking. Why not just run without glass?

sachilles
sachilles HalfDork
10/6/10 5:18 p.m.

I need the glass for classification purposes, not to mention it's October in Vermont.

alstevens
alstevens New Reader
10/6/10 5:41 p.m.

Weather stripping on the inside and clips on the outside. Clips could be rivited on. Just a thought.

tr8todd
tr8todd Reader
10/6/10 8:03 p.m.

If you are planning on reinstalling with a sealer, leave a length of braided wire under the window. Roll it up on both sides and tuck it away. When your ready to remove the window, use the wire as a saw to cut away the sealer. Takes two people, one inside, one outside pulling back and forth all the way around the window.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zNSiCTeb3KWaJjVIwlgbPxi4hyznQCF3WwconX3TKnvWfGESFWNu4ryqunhsD5XB