1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/24/17 5:48 p.m.
Sonic wrote: I got your email, but it looks like this has changed directions since then. Mrs. Deuce is a smart lady, that we all agree with. I saw this the other day and remembered it when I saw her suggestion to you: No reserve F348ts that needs awakening

Holy E36 M3! 101,000 miles?!!

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 UltraDork
5/24/17 6:20 p.m.

OMG yes!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wrote: Also, is Fergus excluded from this? I'm thinking Mexican 1000 vintage class
paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 UltraDork
5/24/17 6:22 p.m.

Do you have any interest in vintage electronics? I have a bunch of vacuum tubes and sundries I can send you. Figuring out what to make would be the tricky part...

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/24/17 6:44 p.m.

So this morning I didn't know what I wanted, but I knew I wanted something to write about. By lunch I had it narrowed down to either a challenge car or a Ferrari. Both rational decisions.
By dinner time I was making a deal on this: Not that this eliminates the possibility of any other projects, but how could I say no to that face? Build thread incoming in a bit when I sort out travel plans. Real work is months away, but holy moly am I excited.
The whole lot of you have been incredible and I'm going to work properly hard at this to tell a story and tell it well.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
5/24/17 6:53 p.m.

Methinks it is time for the Mazdeuce to go Boneville racing...a new learning curve climaxing with a single event and a pass/fail conclusion.

The learning curve would be huge, the vehicle selection process and ensuing fabrication would be epic. The last month leading up to, the drive there, the week of racing and the post game analysis would keep us fed for a long time.

OK, so you snuck the IH COE while I was typing. Yeah, great hauler for the Boneville car. OR is there a vintage COE category at Boneville?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
5/24/17 6:55 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

That should do!

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/24/17 7:07 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME:

Look at those fenders. You can't tell me those aren't designed to create a low pressure area behind the front wheels to help draw heat out from under the cab. It's basically optimized for aero from the factory.

bluej
bluej UltraDork
5/24/17 7:09 p.m.

There is a Grail.

I won't call it holy, since it's anything but, but it's out there.

Some have tried, none have succeeded, even GRM (sorta).

Some are even pursuing it now..

A BEC $Challenge car.

Your move, Seth.

bluej
bluej UltraDork
5/24/17 7:10 p.m.

Also, what NOHOME said about the projects being paths of discovery.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/24/17 7:15 p.m.

You ever look at an acronym and know you should know that it means, but you keep getting it wrong? That's where I am with BEC.

bluej
bluej UltraDork
5/24/17 7:23 p.m.

Bike Engined Car.

mck1117
mck1117 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/24/17 7:23 p.m.

My god it's beautiful. First order of business: Please don't kill yourself with split rims.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/24/17 7:30 p.m.
bluej wrote: Bike Engined Car.

Right. It's not completely out of the question for the future, but it's not super high on my list either. I appreciate what goes into building them, but whenever I think about them I end up starting with a Beetle, taking the bottom two feet off the body, and using the top as a canopy like a LeMans prototype. Move the fenders up, flatten the hood, bike engine in back. Sort of a squashed beetle meets prototype racer.
Not that I've thought it out in my head or anything........

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/24/17 7:32 p.m.
mck1117 wrote: My god it's beautiful. First order of business: Please don't kill yourself with split rims.

Splits have already been discussed. I might die, but it won't be a split rim that takes me down. I'll need to research/learn the options.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
5/24/17 7:34 p.m.

Slam it with a ramp bed. Please. For the children.

bluej
bluej UltraDork
5/24/17 7:47 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote:
bluej wrote: Bike Engined Car.
Right. It's not completely out of the question for the future, but it's not super high on my list either. I appreciate what goes into building them, but whenever I think about them I end up starting with a Beetle, taking the bottom two feet off the body, and using the top as a canopy like a LeMans prototype. Move the fenders up, flatten the hood, bike engine in back. Sort of a squashed beetle meets prototype racer. Not that I've thought it out in my head or anything........

Why do you describe all that like it's a bad thing???

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
5/24/17 7:48 p.m.

Photographic inspiration:

Or, some sort of historical interpretation of this:

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/24/17 7:48 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: In reply to NOHOME: Look at those fenders. You can't tell me those aren't designed to create a low pressure area behind the front wheels to help draw heat out from under the cab. It's basically optimized for aero from the factory.

google search terms: "Nathan Fillion Speechless"

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
5/24/17 8:41 p.m.

That should make a good project and you can go several diffrent directions with what you want to do with it!

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem HalfDork
5/24/17 8:53 p.m.

'Deuce....congrats on COE. EXCELLENT CHOICE.

But please, oh please...get a tetanus shot before taking delivery.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
5/24/17 11:09 p.m.

How you getting this thing home?

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
5/25/17 12:00 a.m.

Ok that's nicer than the trucks I found. You win.

Not enough IH ramp trucks apparently.

EvanR
EvanR SuperDork
5/25/17 1:47 a.m.
NOHOME wrote: How you getting this thing home?

It appears to have a tow bar. Does the R63 have a hitch?

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/25/17 5:41 a.m.

I came here to say I had an extra Busso V6 in Texas that I could donate to the next build...

You know what? I still have an extra Busso V6 in Texas that I can donate to your next build

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/25/17 5:59 a.m.

In reply to Hungary Bill:

We clearly need to talk about that. I've long said the beauty of the engine makes it worth it.

As far as the COE making it back to my place, that's going to be surprisingly easy, as this whole thing is developing a cool backstory.

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wDBsiHlDy8scmzAiSfo4o71CAHF4kVEOQh2tVzOcS1RBbCAYq85Eay6aC26yQfEd