1 2
dollraves
dollraves Reader
10/14/10 12:07 a.m.

The Barbie thread got me thinking about an exchange at a work party a few years ago...

Manager Joe was giving Manager Kevin some ribbing about his "souped up Saturn." Kevin was defensively pointing out that his car pre-dated the Saturn. Being the curious type and coming late to the conversation, I asked Kevin what he drove; he replied a late '80s Corvette. Joe looked crestfallen that I'd ruined his fun, and since I liked Joe better, I had to do it...

I turned to Kevin with big sweet girly eyes. "OH! A late '80s Corvette? Was it silver? Pleeeease tell me it was silver! My Barbie's Corvette was silver!!" I enthused.

Joe grinned. "Oh, Kevin! Barbie's Corvette was silver!!"

It didn't matter that his Corvette was, in fact, black...all the guys just called it the Barbie car after that. :D

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
10/14/10 12:21 a.m.

I like you. You are evil when confronted with the "automobile as jewelry" people.

BowtieBandit
BowtieBandit New Reader
10/14/10 1:03 a.m.

I've got a friend that's a Merkur nut. He, my manager and I were just hanging out one day at work when Kyle went outside to help some cute girl with her car. He came back in and sighed, "man, I need a girlfriend, something to blow my money on." And Steve snapped right back and said "what, five Merkurs isn't enough?"

Hocrest
Hocrest Reader
10/14/10 6:11 a.m.

When my friend got a Crossfire and posted about it on a MB that we're on. Someone asked for photo's, Matt replied he'd get them up soon... I helped him out by posting up LeBaron pics

My other friend got a Jag XJR, I pointed out that they copied their styling from Kia...

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
10/14/10 6:47 a.m.

"It's just like a BMW".

Raze
Raze Dork
10/14/10 7:43 a.m.
BowtieBandit wrote: I've got a friend that's a Merkur nut. He, my manager and I were just hanging out one day at work when Kyle went outside to help some cute girl with her car. He came back in and sighed, "man, I need a girlfriend, something to blow my money on." And Steve snapped right back and said "what, five Merkurs isn't enough?"

I hit the floor when reading this (I in fact share a Merkur between 3 people, it's a good thing too, it takes all 3 of us to pay for her habits)

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
10/14/10 8:09 a.m.

My brother got pissed when in front of his friends I said:

"If you couldn't get laid in a woman's prison with a fistful of Pardons, that Miata ain't getting it done!"

He bought a 4WD Chevy truck. Gee, hope it wasn't something I said ....

Entropyman
Entropyman GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/14/10 8:51 a.m.

I had someone at an autocross tell me that my car (318ti) was what "real" BMW owners bought for their daughters.

EricM
EricM Dork
10/14/10 9:12 a.m.
Entropyman wrote: I had someone at an autocross tell me that my car (318ti) was what "real" BMW owners bought for their daughters.

Di you ask to be introduced to said daughters?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
10/14/10 9:16 a.m.

One of my friends came out to Summit Point for a lap in my car. He got out and exclaimed "That isn't a berkeleying car - its a coffin"

Johnny2Bad
Johnny2Bad New Reader
10/14/10 9:20 a.m.

Not exactly on topic, but one guy described another guy's wife as " ... strong like tractor. And just as smart! "

HiTempguy
HiTempguy HalfDork
10/14/10 9:40 a.m.

You're ranger is a piece of E36 M3 and I'll never help you work on it...

I guess that wasn't really funny! But that is what happens when you buy a 97 ranger for $5k with 140,000kms on it that is a stripper with no options (literally, NONE), a regular cab, 2wd, 5 speed manual, that needs a clutch shortly and probably has the timing belt off a tooth (no power below 2k rpm, but pulls really well to redline). And I told him not to. You don't listen to me when buying vehicles, I don't help you work on them. You listen to me, my labor is free. Pretty freikin' good deal!

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
10/14/10 10:06 a.m.

My buddy buys a clapped out brown 69 ford Tradesman van.

"Wow, Ryan. You just bought a rape van."

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
10/14/10 10:41 a.m.

Anson's free candy amd puppies van at the challenge was noteworthy.

Slyp_Dawg
Slyp_Dawg GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/14/10 10:46 a.m.

rough paraphrasing/combining of what about 6 people said on Sunday's autoX: "that's no longer a Fiat, it's a cone killing clown car "

describing a Fiat 600 with a 2.something liter GM Ecotec motor sitting in the back seat with a GM automatic transaxle bolted up to it, 9 year old Hoosier slicks with half the tire outside of the fenders, no windshield/side windows/rear window to speak of, painted primer grey, twitchy as all get out, and while the tires don't grip the pavement worth a damn, they might as well have a magnetic attraction to every cone on the course. all in all, a clown car that someone put too much air in the tires

bravenrace
bravenrace Dork
10/14/10 10:49 a.m.

"And you're proud of that?"

internetautomart
internetautomart SuperDork
10/14/10 11:36 a.m.
HiTempguy wrote: You're ranger is a piece of E36 M3 and I'll never help you work on it... I guess that wasn't really funny! But that is what happens when you buy a 97 ranger for $5k with 140,000kms on it that is a stripper with no options (literally, NONE), a regular cab, 2wd, 5 speed manual, that needs a clutch shortly and probably has the timing belt off a tooth (no power below 2k rpm, but pulls really well to redline). And I told him not to. You don't listen to me when buying vehicles, I don't help you work on them. You listen to me, my labor is free. Pretty freikin' good deal!

that is how it is supposed to work.
my uncle went out with me to check out a $250 caravan a couple years ago. He said to get it, I said ok you fix it when it breaks. Sadly, he hasn't had to do much besides oil changes.

maddabe
maddabe New Reader
10/14/10 3:21 p.m.

To the co-worker with the riced-out 300Z who likes to brag about his "street racing" endeavors.

"Paul Walker and Vin Diesel called... they want their douchebaggery back."

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
10/14/10 3:49 p.m.

To a coworker just the other day: Wait, you thought a new Mustang didn't have enough power and you ended up with a V6 Charger?

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
10/14/10 3:58 p.m.

Told my friend he needs football pads, feathers, and assless chaps to go with his car

mndsm
mndsm Dork
10/14/10 4:21 p.m.

I once told a friend when looking for what to do with some random Honda he had purchased (I am not a Honda fan, so bear with me)

"Best thing to do with it? Leave the keys in it over in Frogtown and hope it gets stolen"

Another time, it was running funny- and I closed the hood and said "There's your problem right there" pointing to the Honda badge.

I am also a big fan of when asked how to mod a particular vehicle "Sell it, and buy a good car?" They always like that one.

Sofa King
Sofa King Reader
10/14/10 5:15 p.m.

My comment was unintentional, but I still chuckle to myself every time I think about it.

We had just arrived at the hotel for the 2004 Challenge and all the Challengers were milling around the parking lot checking out the competition. It was quite a bit of fun that year because that was the year with the Bat Van, the Big block 3 series and Thunder Midget. I was standing beside our car and another Entrant came up to check out our car. I gave him the "tour" of our car and asked him what he had brought. He pointed out his car, which unfortunately I didn't think was very impressive, and proudly said "yep, I got it done for seventeen!" To which I replied, "Dollars?"

ValuePack
ValuePack HalfDork
10/14/10 8:39 p.m.

Showing off my new-to-me $1(I think I overpaid, honestly) bugeye Impreza TS to a coworker, his only response was:

"Looks like it has down syndrome."

Hocrest
Hocrest Reader
10/14/10 9:15 p.m.

Back in the mid 90's I was on the phone with my friend Joe, he told me that he just got a new Geo Tracker. I said, "Cool, you didn't get that gay green one did you"...

Guess what color he got

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid New Reader
10/14/10 9:45 p.m.

I have two.

"It's an automatic?.........Oh."

"Well that's an Audi for ya"

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sL289ijvgFpuq3zeD5px0qU32neVedS55bbiDY1G3yqN8s0eI9IwVi30Nj99wYBN