JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
11/2/22 10:55 a.m.
feature_image

What’s the most important part of building a race car that’s also perhaps the least exciting? How about accurate measurements?

No, wait, keep reading.

We’re bringing a long-dormant tube chassis back to life–work should start in earnest by early 2023–but before we can order that first part, we have important things to do: research and lots and lots of measuring. …

Read the rest of the story

AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve Reader
11/2/22 11:12 a.m.

I am so excited to see this project really get going! I should really find the info plate on my car, if it exists. I'm very much looking forward to the body-hanging process, there's not a ton of information on it elsewhere that I have seen

robert777
robert777
2/15/23 2:44 p.m.

I have ASA chassis ASA9415. Bought it July 2022. Doing exact same thing as you are but mine is going to have a 1967 mustang body and a boss 302. I have a 67 coup rusted out body. Floors are  gone but sides and top are good, enough. Wish I could find a fastback body haha.

How are you going to do the front cross member? Build your own? Buy one from Howe or lefthander?

Pickup points need to be in line with your steering rack. Those are usually 18" wide and would be centered. So just build a cross member that will mount the steering rack and put the inner pickup points even from side to side and lined up with your steering rack pickup points and make it light and strong and your good. I got a bit of a different idea but I'll put that in my build thread.

I am considering having Howe put a TA2 front stub on mine, I'm just south of them within easy driving distance. But being a 99th degree cheapskate and a welder fabricator and machinist I kinda want to build the cross member myself though the TA2 stub would be great.

I just signed up here and probably need to do a build thread but it will be slow motion as I got so many projects going.

I need to contact Howe and see if they built my car and if there are any records and maybe a setup manual.

robert777
robert777 New Reader
2/15/23 2:48 p.m.

In reply to AMiataCalledSteve :

body-hanging, check out this chevelle build. 69 Chevelle NASCAR Project

Pretty extensive and quite a bit of info on body mounting.

AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve Reader
2/15/23 3:20 p.m.

In reply to robert777 :

I remember reading that thread years ago, long before I bought my car. I was trying to find out how feasible a NASCARLO-style build would be, and that thread really inspired me. I probably wouldn't have a stock car these days without those projects, and now Duster is making one of his own, which I can't wait to see finished

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
p6c1TNxkQEh8zUxPcjT6hBoRAeieChCPKJwrEhWlKA9XwMkZX6GD1GxbaYhyrLYN