ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
5/10/19 7:41 p.m.
Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled Reader
5/10/19 7:46 p.m.
pinchvalve said:
Duke said:

These are my new go-to.  At $2 a pair at HF, they are basically disposable, but actually, hold up pretty well. They provide most of the benefits of nitrile gloves and most of the benefits of mechanics gloves, without sweat or Velcro. I have a bin of them and use them in the garage, the yard, for plumbing...everything really.

I've been stocking up.

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
5/10/19 9:28 p.m.

I go to harbor freight and just buy three or four pairs of their cheap ones plus a couple boxes nitrile gloves. that combination lasts a hell of a lot longer than a pair of mechanix gloves for about the same price lol

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
5/11/19 12:54 a.m.

I came to the same conclusion.  After messing with mechanic types gloves, the lack of durability and precision to grab things with my fingers drive me nuts so I favor the coated gloves also.  I do keep nytrols and laytex around for particularly dirty tasks.

The coated gloves have the precision of laytex with the durability of a mechanix and the added benefit of being cooler.

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/11/19 11:08 p.m.
Duke said:

my favorites were some black nylon knit gloves with a very thin grey urethane coating

Sounds like Gojo “tactile” gloves: black and gray; nice and thin. 

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/11/19 11:21 p.m.

For me, I found the best fit and comfort with the “Firm Grip Xtreme Fit” ... the fit is Xtreme, so it’s gotta be good LOL

They fit my hands the best and they sell them at Home Depot for $15

mtn
mtn MegaDork
5/12/19 11:48 a.m.

Costco has these- 10 for $10. They feel slightly better than the HF, but I haven’t used them yet. 

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
5/12/19 11:36 p.m.

Thanks for the heads-up on the dipped gloves.

I usually use them for gardening and barn chores, hadn't crossed my mind to used them for car stuff.

Tried them when doing a brake job, new shocks and oil change on my truck today. Looks like I have a new glove for work.

I usually don't like mechanics gloves because they're expensive and they just soak up crud and hold it against your skin. The dexterity loss is unacceptable as well.

These provide good dexterity and they're cheap enough to just toss them when they get dirty.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/13/19 1:17 a.m.

I’m gonna play devils advocate here and ask why gloves?  I get it if you’re going to be doing a lot of welding.  Otherwise it seems like (to quote a popular thread title on another forum) ‘woo woo bull$hit’.  You can’t tell me you have the same feel for tight places and delicate situations as you do bare-handed.  I may throw on my well worn 20 year old  Mechanixs if I’m doing something with the high likelihood of busting my knuckles, sure, but otherwise I’m bare handed.  I cannot remember ever seeing my dad or any other mechanic growing up in the ‘70’s wearing gloves.  They used Lava soap and a scrub brush to get under their fingernails when cleaning up.  

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/13/19 6:54 a.m.

In reply to A 401 CJ :

Main reason, they keep my hands moderately clean. Yes, I have hand cleaners that put lava soap to shame. I still like to keep my hands as clean as possible. Having to wash up to take a piss or having to scratch you head with a screwdriver gets kind of old. With a pair of gloves, that's not a issue. 

The rubber dipped gloves also give you an enormous amount of grip compared to a bare hand. Need to spin off a oil filter, just grab it and turn. Greasy bolt? No problem. They simply work better than the bare hand in almost every way.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
5/13/19 8:37 a.m.

In reply to A 401 CJ :

I use disposable nitrile gloves because I got tired of constantly tearing up my hands and having gorilla like callouses everywhere.

What your dad or mechanics in the 70s did doesn't really convince me of anything. "That's how they used to do it" sometimes has good reasons for the "used to" part. Methods improve over time.

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
5/13/19 9:24 a.m.

I do this crap every day and I'm becoming aware that contact dermatitis is a real thing.

Trying to be better about wearing gloves when I'm working and finding some that actually work has been difficult.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/13/19 9:29 a.m.

Add another vote for the Harbor Freight gloves.  I'll put nitrile gloves under them for a lot of things. Sometimes, I just use nitrile gloves if I'm doing something that has a low chance of cuts and abrasions and I just want to have a barrier.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
5/13/19 10:17 a.m.
dculberson said:

What your dad or mechanics in the 70s did doesn't really convince me of anything. "That's how they used to do it" sometimes has good reasons for the "used to" part. Methods improve over time.

"Back in my day, we were manly men! We ate bacon 4 meals a day, drank whiskey for breakfast, didn't wear seatbelts, and died at 59!"

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kXvPPsv0T9BWdvYqd0riHmwyY3M8C455eXuojHiJDx5nziZ29zZRTdl9D2jr1tcp