1 2
N Sperlo
N Sperlo SuperDork
12/6/11 7:03 a.m.

Ebay sells Mechanix gloves, three pairs for thirty bucks. I have a bunch I always wear, no big problems with dexterity. I also have padded ones that don't form as well to your hand, but they aren't for (I don't use them for) working on anything.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill SuperDork
12/6/11 7:10 a.m.

Wearing gloves is like taking a shower in a raincoat.

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
12/6/11 7:19 a.m.

I either wear Mechanix gloves or flock-lined Nitril gloves. The flock-lined gloves cost a bit more ($17.40 for 50), but they last a LOT longer than common cheap latex gloves - I'll usually blow them off and re-use them multiple times vs. 2-3 pairs of latex gloves per wrenching session. Used that way, I think they're cheaper in the long run. The lining helps keep sweating under control.

http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/p-16670-microflex-dfk608l.aspx

I tend to use Mechanix gloves for other tasks besides wrenching, like construction work.

failboat
failboat HalfDork
12/6/11 7:51 a.m.

I use a pair of Mechanix gloves for yard work, and for wrenching, but I usually only put them on in situations where I know there is a risk of busting some knuckles or getting some scrapes or cuts. Otherwise I work without gloves for when I need to be able to use my fingers. I bought them on sale for $5 a pair and I didnt have any decent gloves for wrenching. They seem to be holding up ok but I only use them a few times a year. I bought them a bit on the small side so they woudl be snug, they were uncomfortably tight at first, but they have broken in and now they fit....like a glove!

Some good tips about cutting the fingers off the gloves here, Ill have to consider that.

Raze
Raze SuperDork
12/6/11 8:26 a.m.
spitfirebill wrote: Wearing gloves is like taking a shower in a raincoat.

Which can be a good thing if you're showering in firey hot oil...

unevolved
unevolved Dork
12/6/11 9:56 a.m.

Anyone that bitches that gloves are for sissies has never changed wheels on a car that just came off track.

Sometimes E36 M3's hot. Gloves help with that.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/6/11 10:05 a.m.

also I have found that wearing rubber (or nitrile) gloves while working does NOT interfere with getting nuts and bolts off.. but makes it much easier to clean up...

Zomby woof
Zomby woof SuperDork
12/6/11 10:38 a.m.

I hate those thin rubber/nitrile/latex gloves that everybody wears now. They supply them at work, and every time I think it's a good idea to wear them, I end up ripping them off in frustration.

Shaun
Shaun HalfDork
12/6/11 10:59 a.m.

I started using these Carhartt gloves. They retail for $12 a three pack. Each pair last WAY longer than the "Mechanix" gloves or knockoffs, and they breath, so I am not tearing through boxes of Nitril jobbies that cook my hands. They are not good in the cold- other than that, they rock.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
12/6/11 11:21 a.m.

I snag vinyl food service gloves from work. Decent for keeping my hands clean during an oil change. Tire changes and junk yard runs I like finger less knock offs. Keeps my hands cleaner and protected while offering fingertip dexterity.

Right now I have my ex B-I-L's knock off impacts(extra palm padding) and I cut off the index fingers because they where torn up. Not bad for free.

sachilles
sachilles Dork
12/6/11 11:41 a.m.

I like Ringers opposed to Mechanix. Just seem to fit my hand better.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
12/6/11 11:44 a.m.
MG_Bryan wrote: In reply to Duke: Where can I get them locally?

I believe Sears carries them. You might try Tractor Supply out on 40, though I don't know if they do or not. I bought my latest sets from Amazon, I think.

Raze
Raze SuperDork
12/6/11 11:48 a.m.
unevolved wrote: Anyone that bitches that gloves are for sissies has never changed wheels on a car that just came off track. Sometimes E36 M3's hot. Gloves help with that.

I'll take it one step further:

Anyone that bitches that gloves are for sissies has never worked around all the rust on a Fiat.

Sometimes E36 M3's rusted and sharp. Gloves help with that.

sachilles
sachilles Dork
12/6/11 12:03 p.m.
Raze wrote:
unevolved wrote: Anyone that bitches that gloves are for sissies has never changed wheels on a car that just came off track. Sometimes E36 M3's hot. Gloves help with that.
I'll take it one step further: Anyone that bitches that gloves are for sissies has never worked around all the rust on a Fiat. Sometimes E36 M3's rusted and sharp. Gloves help with that.

I'll take it one step further. Anyone that bitches that gloves are for sissies, has never worked on a car while simultaneously trying to watch out for a two year old. You ever tried to wipe your hand off quickly enough, so that you can fish out that bug from the mouth of a tike intent on swallowing it? Had to save the kid from the bug, only to shove grease and rust particles in there.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant Dork
12/6/11 12:11 p.m.

My biggest complaint about mechanic's gloves are the extra things sewn on the back. Apparently my hands are thick enough that even one more layer of leather or plastic will stop me from getting to that one spot ... I suppose they're better for pit-stop action. For general wrenching, when I think gloves are necessary, I prefer the stretchy, dipped models. Not so good for working on hot things, but good for grip and normal sharp protection.

junkbuggie
junkbuggie Reader
12/6/11 11:36 p.m.
Shaun wrote: I started using these Carhartt gloves. They retail for $12 a three pack. Each pair last WAY longer than the "Mechanix" gloves or knockoffs, and they breath, so I am not tearing through boxes of Nitril jobbies that cook my hands. They are not good in the cold- other than that, they rock.

This is my thin glove of choice. They are way way way cheaper than the oakley gloves and the rubber bit helps protect from heat well and gets good grip. Still if money is no object I would go with the oakley gloves.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ftuh9XEFEfOJVjoXm7ULInzwgjCSrdDjlYsRIuYvjaNjXad2V9crYo1tt386fhvb