1 2
Strathclyde
Strathclyde New Reader
10/25/13 1:56 a.m.

I'm still on the fence about this very nice W126 300SE.
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/cto/4081750810.html

I've driven it, and it's even nicer than the ad would lead one to believe. But I'm having second thoughts about going auto for my daily, as great as the car is.

Then this popped up:
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/cto/4149227449.html

It's clean-looking in the pictures and has a proper gearbox. A coupe would be a bit of a drag with a three-year-old, but we'd survive.
It's also a VANOS engine, which seems to give lots of people the heebie-jeebies.

I'm eager to hear what the GRM sense is about these two very different cars.

kanaric
kanaric Reader
10/25/13 2:47 a.m.

Well the E36 would definitely be more fun the car if that's a large part of what you are looking for. That is transmissions aside even. As far as for a commuter you probably would get better MPGs as well.

octavious
octavious Reader
10/25/13 6:39 a.m.

I vote Benz, but that vote is based only on the interior photos. That Benz has the cleanest blue interior ever.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Dork
10/25/13 7:11 a.m.

As an unabashed MB 300 fan, I'd have to go with the BMW. 6 years younger to boot!

Jaxmadine
Jaxmadine HalfDork
10/25/13 7:21 a.m.

Bimmer hands down.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltraDork
10/25/13 7:41 a.m.

I use an E36 for my daily commuter. It has a VANOS engine with double that mileage. Just take good care of it and shut it down immediately if you see the temp gauge climbing, and you'll be fine. And my three year old son doesn't mind climbing around the passenger seat to get in back - although with a large child seat, the front seat has to go forward a bit. E36s are about as big inside as a Honda Civic, maybe a little smaller.

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
10/25/13 7:58 a.m.

My initial reaction to the MB300 was "hmm, well, I guess that's a quiet place to spend time". My initial reaction to the 325 was "ooooh, now that is pretty". I'm trying to figure out why I'm not looking for something like that, and get rid of the junk I currently drive...

BMW > MB.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/25/13 8:08 a.m.

The VANOS isn't that big of a deal, especially on these early single-VANOS models. The dual-VANOS is where it really becomes a pain in the ass. Plus, that E36 has the super rare sport seats. E36, hands down, but keep in mind it is due for the cooling system refresh NOW at 96k miles. If you let it go you'll take out the entire cooling system and possibly the engine when the stock plastic water pump impeller explodes.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/25/13 8:30 a.m.

Mercedes.

Jarod
Jarod GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/25/13 9:00 a.m.

BMW

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/25/13 9:04 a.m.

I would go with the Benz and 80's the crap out of it.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UberDork
10/25/13 9:17 a.m.

Indeed, those two flavors are very different. I'd decide what attributes of each car were important to me. The decision would then make itself.

Given the 3-year old, I would probably choose the M-B, although it pains me to say that.

ansonivan
ansonivan Dork
10/25/13 9:19 a.m.

I like my BM first thing in the morning, right after my coffee. I usually E36 M3 after lunch too.

maj75
maj75 New Reader
10/25/13 9:21 a.m.

BMW!

I just picked up a '95 M3 track car project for $4000 so I vote with my money

The MB has 4 doors, which is almost a deal breaker for me, and an automatic, which is definitely a deal breaker.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
10/25/13 9:30 a.m.

Man than Benz is clean. E36's are a dime a dozen and with the exception of a few M3's tend to now be driven by young kids with attitude. Now may be the time to buy one, but the stigma is high. The Benz though oozes 80's cool (is there such a thing?) from it's pimpy blue blood pores. Benz all the way.

oldtin
oldtin UltraDork
10/25/13 9:38 a.m.

Mercedes (I'm on my 6th BMW)

TucoRamirez
TucoRamirez Reader
10/25/13 12:38 p.m.

The bmw would definately be more fun for you. Will the kid, however, forever associate travel, freedom and adult privilege with being tightly strapped into a cramped place surrounded by black leather?

In the merc, the kid could take deep breaths of wide open space. The blue interior, wood and shiny metal just seem more thought provoking.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger SuperDork
10/25/13 1:48 p.m.

I do not understand the appeal of this era Mercedes. Big and heavy with a sluggish auto trans and handling that, while decent for what they are is uninspiring. Even the hot V8's are usually equipped with an auto trans that sucks any fun out of them.

A BMW is generally always the better choice in my opinion. It does everything the Mercedes does, but is a lot more fun to drive and lacks that annoying chrome tombstone grill.

:Rant on: Why in the name of whatever didn't they drop that stupid grill? The W123 is a great looking sedan from all angles except the front where they just crudely dumped a hangover from the 1930's. It clearly wasn't done in the name of great design work. This was an act of "tradition" and that is usually a great reason why something shouldn't be done

:rant off:

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/25/13 1:54 p.m.

This is why:

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
10/25/13 1:55 p.m.

I respectfully disagree. I like the grill.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/25/13 2:04 p.m.

Daily driver? Benz all the way.

TxCoyote
TxCoyote Reader
10/25/13 5:24 p.m.

Benz probably more comfortable but the BMW will be way more fun to drive. Both are German and out of warranty so expect to spend on maintenance and repair. If you don't spend on maintenance then you will spend MORE ON REPAIR, MUCH MORE!

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UberDork
10/25/13 5:31 p.m.
TxCoyote wrote: ... but the BMW will be way more fun to drive.

OP has a small child. He's not allowed to have fun anymore!

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
10/25/13 6:39 p.m.

That Benz is a snore to drive

ShadowSix
ShadowSix HalfDork
10/25/13 6:50 p.m.

It depends on your commute. If it's like mine, and there is no opportunity to enjoy a sporting car at all then go with the M-B.

If you have the rare fortune to have curvy country roads on the drive to work then you ought to go full-bore and get a Miata or a CRX or an MR2 for something really fun. I'm sure the wife's car can fit the baby seat.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pFkOKhdfMhwAqvBDGxmfeaDTdy1oc0jbmkZN2QF1ctivYAd2G0PVQLrCTaBMotbm