1 2
Strathclyde
Strathclyde New Reader
10/25/13 8:49 p.m.
TucoRamirez wrote: The bmw would definately be more fun for you. Will the kid, however, forever associate travel, freedom and adult privilege with being tightly strapped into a cramped place surrounded by black leather?

She's very fond of riding in our MG Midget, which she calls our "Go-Go." But we never take long trips in that car.

Travis_K
Travis_K UltraDork
10/25/13 9:30 p.m.

If you drive on the freeway alot get the Mercedes, mine handles plenty good enough for everyday driving. If you drove places where the BMW would be more fun most of the time, then get that. I don't really enjoy driving a fun car in traffic all the time, the Mercedes is more relaxing so its easier to not get frustrated with driving so slow all the time lol.

Strathclyde
Strathclyde New Reader
10/25/13 10:53 p.m.

Yeah, my commute's a mile or two each way, not really urban-core driving. Rochester's a town of a hundred thou in the middle of corn country. My Passat, while not a 3-series, is still enjoyable to drive, but it isn't comfortable.
What's better for comfort: Benz La-Z-Boy seats or the BMW's sport seats?

Travis_K
Travis_K UltraDork
10/25/13 11:29 p.m.

I have only ridden in a newer BMW once (an e46) but I think the Mercedes is more comfortable. Also much better made too, especially the interior trim and stuff like that.

Travis_K
Travis_K UltraDork
10/25/13 11:31 p.m.

I do want to put seats like this in mine though, if I ever can find a decent set that I can afford. http://www.benzworld.org/forums/sale-wanted-trade-giveaway/1696327-recaro-ideal-classic-c-drivers-seat.html

Strathclyde
Strathclyde New Reader
10/25/13 11:41 p.m.
amg_rx7 wrote: That Benz is a snore to drive

But is it pleasant? There are lots of ways cars can be satisfying, and in the Merc's defense I'd say it's through its being well-made and properly engineered and never cheap-feeling.

I'm a little tired of cars that leave something to be desired in these aspects, and I'm not going to the Nurburgring or anything anyway.

I'm also wanting a car with some emotional appeal, as fruity as that sounds. The Passat is an enjoyable car, but is a bit of a German Camry. Some of the cars I've loved the most have been my 1980 Vanagon, my '86 Saab 900 and my Volvo 740 Turbo; cars that aren't ordinary or even all that good in some ways, but that had some intangible quality that I really liked. I find the Benz more appealing in this respect that the BMW, but I'm sure I'd really like both cars.

Strathclyde
Strathclyde New Reader
10/26/13 12:02 a.m.
ShadowSix wrote: If you have the rare fortune to have curvy country roads on the drive to work then you ought to go full-bore and get a Miata or a CRX or an MR2 for something really fun. I'm sure the wife's car can fit the baby seat.

Yeah, the Volvo Cross-Country Squire can swallow a couple baby seats. For fun, there's this: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/reader-rides/8992/

It's a daily driver, but only from about May through early November at the most, and then the whole family (wife, kiddo and I) won't fit.

Travis_K
Travis_K UltraDork
10/26/13 12:23 a.m.

I think everyone is overlooking the obvious answer, get both

Strathclyde
Strathclyde New Reader
10/26/13 12:55 a.m.

In reply to Travis_K:
In the past two days the Volvo's alternator went out and the metal fatigued and broke at the driver's door check strap anchor! I ran the idea past the executive of getting her the Benz and I the 325. She was unreceptive.

(She starts saying all this crap about keeping the kid clothed and mortgage paid.)

kanaric
kanaric Reader
10/26/13 1:14 a.m.

I would only get the benz if I had a super long commute honestly, if you only have a few minutes definitely get the BMW

benzbaronDaryn
benzbaronDaryn Dork
10/26/13 2:09 p.m.

The problem I see with the bmw is they are the new boy racer car, I think you'd have much more police attention. Every bus boy and hood rat gets an e36. No one pays attention to a mercedes owner, you are sort of refined. Lets not mention the looks of the bmw.

If the mercedes is boring put the trans into S-mode and hold your foot to the throttle. Remember to turn in early on the mercedes to get the compliance out of the suspension. Mercedes will hustle but you have to have the balls to drive it. The bmw will make up for many driver mistakes.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Dork
10/26/13 3:06 p.m.

W126 is the answer

Strathclyde
Strathclyde New Reader
10/26/13 11:45 p.m.
chandlerGTi wrote: W126 is the answer

So it is. The BMW's gone.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners