1 2
OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/16/13 11:01 a.m.

First: Sorry. I know this is a sporting vehicle forum. But I also know GRM understands "family".

Thinking about a replacement for my 2004 Honda Odyssey. Still want a 7 seater for occasional "people moving". Want equal or better fuel economy (very low 20's at minimum). Budget: 20k. Looking for suggestions. Non minivan.

Edit: No all wheel drive (as if my mileage goal didn't already tell you that)

Vigo
Vigo UltraDork
6/16/13 11:15 a.m.

What kind of people will you be moving? If you want 7 full size people to be comfortable you literally cant BOTH get away from a minivan, AND stay above low 20s mpg.

If you want 4-5 normal size people and 2 tiny ones you could go down to a 3-row smallish crossover like a Rav4. There are several 6 seater options as well.

As the devil's/minivan's advocate, i would also facetiously recommend the enthusiast approach and modify whatever you dont like about a minivan and then just have a cooler minivan.

OHSCrifle
6/16/13 11:27 a.m.
Vigo wrote: What kind of people will you be moving?

Goal would be four adults plus a couple more who are smaller, or would be ok for short trips. Not trying to drive across country with seven adults. Would rent a suburban for that kind of "people moving".

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 PowerDork
6/16/13 11:58 a.m.

The 4 bucket seats of our Mazda 5 are very comfortable for 4 adults. There are two "jump seats" that make a 3rd row for two more "small people", leaving zero for luggage space.
Will return a combined 24 mpg regularly. Available with manual trans.
Looks like a mini van. I do not understand people dislike of the minivan look. It really is the right tool for the job.

At Road Atlanta, we did manage to put 3 really big boys in the middle row. The middle person was not really comfortable but it got us safely to a Waffle House.
When I say big...myself at 6'1 and 240lbs was not the biggest guy in that back seat but probably represented the average size.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
6/16/13 12:29 p.m.

New minivan. The new ones have 6spd trans and do better than those from a few years ago.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
6/16/13 12:51 p.m.

As an aside, I wonder if we'll ever drop "mini" from these things. They're nothing of the sort any more.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/16/13 1:06 p.m.

mpg wise the only thing i've got is a rendezvous with optional 3rd row? everything else that comes to mind is a minivan or has mpg's in the high teens.

design is an acquired taste, although far less than the aztek. everyone i know who buys one loves it and keeps it for a long time. my buddy picked one up with a bad headgasket at 238k miles and swapped in a 3500 v6 from a new impala. my wife loves hers. my only complaint is the front seats wear hard on the edge where you slide in and out. i went to the boneyard and pulled the 3rd row seat from a so optioned vehicle and put it in hers so we have the ability to seat 7 when necessary, like if the grandparents want to ride somewhere with us and the kid.

bonus: 17x8 mustang torque thrust clones aka bullitt wheels bolt on and make my wife very happy that she has the only one around with non stock wheels

that or drop the no minivan rule and get a newer version of what you have now.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade UltraDork
6/16/13 1:18 p.m.
patgizz wrote: . design is an acquired taste, although far less than the aztek. everyone i know who buys one loves it and keeps it for a long time. my buddy picked one up with a bad headgasket at 238k miles and swapped in a 3500 v6 from a new impala.

I'll have to keep that swap in mind. I do see them all around in service.

fanfoy
fanfoy Reader
6/16/13 3:05 p.m.

2005 to 2007 Ford Freestyle. Carries 7 in comfort, is nice to drive and doesn't look like a minivan.

My old 05 got 20-22mpg city and as high as 28 (economy run) on the highway. And that was with AWD. A FWD should get a bit better.

For your budget, you could get the nicest/newest/lowest mileage example and have 10k left for a sporting vehicle.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UberDork
6/16/13 3:36 p.m.

id second the rendezvous being a great vehicle nobody remembers to look for, but replacing a 2004 and having a budget of 20k leads me to believe it isnt what you're going to do.

JFX001
JFX001 UltraDork
6/16/13 3:46 p.m.

You might want to check out a Ford Flex as well.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
6/16/13 3:52 p.m.

A two wheel drive rav4 4cylinder also does it. Need the third row option.

I have one And get 26-27mpg around town and up to 32 mpg in the highway.

Third row is small. Expect only small ones to fit back there.

Jaxmadine
Jaxmadine Reader
6/16/13 6:37 p.m.

My 90 suburban got 20 city and 24 highway..... I say avoid a rendevous/asstek, chevy van. Unless of course you like working on them. And oil leaks. Try looking at hyundai? Sante fe is real nice.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
6/16/13 6:55 p.m.

You only have one requirement, 7 seats. And that is for only occasional use.

Give up the 7 seats, drive what you want, and take 2 cars when you occasionally need 7 seats.

For 20k, you can buy a brand new car that gets nearly 40 mpg. Then rent a minivan occasionally with the money you save on fuel.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
6/16/13 6:57 p.m.

In reply to Jaxmadine:

Sante Fe doesn't seat 7.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non Reader
6/16/13 7:23 p.m.
SVreX wrote: In reply to Jaxmadine: Sante Fe doesn't seat 7.

They do now.

OHSCrifle
6/16/13 8:10 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: New minivan. The new ones have 6spd trans and do better than those from a few years ago.

This has a 10-20% chance of happening, despite my stated objective. The new Odyssey looks smaller, gets great mileage. 2011 model has to come down in value some to meet my budget. I have bought a few Honda LX models, maybe should look at new ones despite budget stretch (since 0% financing is common lately).

OHSCrifle
6/16/13 8:11 p.m.
fanfoy wrote: 2005 to 2007 Ford Freestyle. Carries 7 in comfort, is nice to drive and doesn't look like a minivan. My old 05 got 20-22mpg city and as high as 28 (economy run) on the highway. And that was with AWD. A FWD should get a bit better. For your budget, you could get the nicest/newest/lowest mileage example and have 10k left for a sporting vehicle.

Wasn't this re-badged? Taurus X or something after 2007?

OHSCrifle
6/16/13 8:13 p.m.
SVreX wrote: You only have one requirement, 7 seats. And that is for only occasional use. Give up the 7 seats, drive what you want, and take 2 cars when you occasionally need 7 seats. For 20k, you can buy a brand new car that gets nearly 40 mpg. Then rent a minivan occasionally with the money you save on fuel.

Not a bad idea. I like the idea of a CX-5 skyactiv with a manual. Just never figured that would be our "big car". (I drive a Civic LX sedan, circa 2005).

OHSCrifle
6/16/13 8:13 p.m.
Jaxmadine wrote: My 90 suburban got 20 city and 24 highway..... I say avoid a rendevous/asstek, chevy van. Unless of course you like working on them. And oil leaks. Try looking at hyundai? Sante fe is real nice.

Damn. My 1995 4x4 Suburban never got above 21 on highway.

OHSCrifle
6/16/13 8:14 p.m.
JFX001 wrote: You might want to check out a Ford Flex as well.

Wife thinks these are cool looking. Should check them out. I can get A-plan on a new one, but they're pricey new.

OHSCrifle
6/16/13 8:15 p.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: The 4 bucket seats of our Mazda 5 are ...

The 5 is cool, but if we get another van it'll be a Honda.

drainoil
drainoil Reader
6/16/13 8:46 p.m.

4 kids here. My '94 Civic vx is my dd averaging 49-50 mpg and when I need to haul all of us I have a '94 Ford conversion van with plenty of room for all and can tow as well. The combined purchase price of both vehicles was far less than going and buying a newer Mazda 5, Rav 4, Sante Fe, etc and I have much more versatility, plus my insurance and vehicle registration is a lot cheaper on 19 year old vehicles lol.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/16/13 9:10 p.m.

It's a tough requirement to haul 7 and get good mpg. Even my Rondo has a 7 passenger option, but averages only 19 mpg around town, slightly better on the highway. New cars with much more HP and space get about the same mpg. I just looked at the new Sorento and the mpg is about the same but with the ability to tow more and haul more. Sadly, they now top $40K fully loaded!

fanfoy
fanfoy Reader
6/16/13 10:14 p.m.
OHSCrifle wrote:
fanfoy wrote: 2005 to 2007 Ford Freestyle. Carries 7 in comfort, is nice to drive and doesn't look like a minivan. My old 05 got 20-22mpg city and as high as 28 (economy run) on the highway. And that was with AWD. A FWD should get a bit better. For your budget, you could get the nicest/newest/lowest mileage example and have 10k left for a sporting vehicle.
Wasn't this re-badged? Taurus X or something after 2007?

Yup. 05-07 Freestyle is a Fordified version of a Volvo XC90 (generally more reliable, except for fragile CVT). 08-09 Taurus X is an evolution of the Freestyle with a normal 6 speed and larger engine (more reliable, but more thirsty). And the 09-up Flex is an evolution of the Taurus X with improved front brakes.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
du732N5IAUbBGL80M127OaGTkmBfOPIoLRzUzreqMxS0Wp1pbcZzTAEpK4WPF2mg