1 2
BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon Reader
9/5/11 5:23 p.m.

I generally ask you guys about anything before I ask anyone, and I've been debating this for a few months now in my head. The mobile detailing thread made me decide to put it on here for a peanut gallery review.

Basically, I'm thinking of doing this part-time, on the side of my existing part time job. The idea behind this is convenience. I change soccer mom's oil while she's at work, so she doesn't have to rush to the quick lube place between ballet practice, soccer games, and picking up pizza. I also could do little things like topping off washer fluid, changing bulbs, etc etc.

So far the biggest hiccups I've run into are the cost of a vehicle and fuel, and the demographics of my town. I'd call it small town, maybe 12 to 14 thousand, but there's two other similar-sized towns within 20 minutes of driving I could service people with too.

I know the lube places can do it for cheaper because they buy their oil and filters in bulk, like hundreds of gallons of the stuff. I was thinking more of buying in smaller commodities, or doing it change by change, selling customers on the benefits of a synthetic oil and a quality filter.

I work usually evenings, 4 or 5 days a week, so I usually have most of the morning/early afternoon free, so I think I could have time to do this. My other big worry is that demand would be too great and it would strain my current part time job, which I enjoy, very much.

I've seen some mobile oil change rigs for sale online, with the hose reels and such, but that's entirely too much money, I was thinking a toolbox, some latex gloves, and a few cases of oil.

Thoughts?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/5/11 5:31 p.m.

You might get a lot of resistance from the owners of the parking lots.

Joshua
Joshua HalfDork
9/5/11 6:08 p.m.

Kind of a clever idea IMO. People change flats in parking lots without any complaints but this could be seen a little differently since he's making money off of it and probably taking up an extra parking space.

Either way, I like it.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar SuperDork
9/5/11 6:45 p.m.

I've been pondering this exact idea for awhile now. Curious to see what you do with it.

neckromacr
neckromacr Reader
9/5/11 7:18 p.m.

I don't know how wide spread it is, but Philly area has businesses that do the same thing with tires. It definitely has the convenice factor.

Are we talking small business or "friend who will do it for cash" I'd imagine there is the difference of how the EPA and liability laws see it.

First, even for a big buyer like a corporate quik lube the cost savings is small and seen over a much bigger picture. Actual profit off an oil change is slim and seen more as gateway to sell more things. Most oil change coupons create negative profit just for this reason. Get them in the door. Synthetics are only slightly better.

That said an easy thing to sell is a seafoam like fuel system cleaning and scrubbing out the throttle body. Most dealers charge $200, most chain stores $100. If you do it for $50 you beat them by a mile, can be sold by swiping a qtip inside the TB, and the gratification feels immediate since most gunked up cars feel peppier afterwards.

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon Reader
9/5/11 7:42 p.m.

Anyone have any links where one would go to look up what my local laws and EPA regulations are?

I'm looking at advertising, and doing an incorporation or LLC.

corytate
corytate Reader
9/5/11 9:07 p.m.

don't know if it's the same for businesses without storefronts and who service instead of service AND sell oil, but any store that sells oil has to take in used oil and dispose of it as well. not sure if you'd be able to get away with taking your daily used oil to advance and letting them get rid of it, might have to figure paying for disposal into your calculations for cost.

Ranger50
Ranger50 Dork
9/5/11 9:29 p.m.
corytate wrote: don't know if it's the same for businesses without storefronts and who service instead of service AND sell oil, but any store that sells oil has to take in used oil and dispose of it as well. not sure if you'd be able to get away with taking your daily used oil to advance and letting them get rid of it, might have to figure paying for disposal into your calculations for cost.

Even if he does have to "accept" someone else's used dino juice, doesn't me he has to accept for free.

As for the fast food auto parts stores, if you buy enough from them, some will look the other way on the oil. If not, just leave it at their back door after they close. Or maybe just get a small Safety Kleen parts washer and have the oil collection included in the service plan on the washer. Just need an enclosed space, 2 bedliners, for your oil storage tank, old furnace fuel oil tank.

Travis_K
Travis_K SuperDork
9/6/11 5:04 a.m.

Im going to say most people would not do that. The modern car mentality is to use it up and throw it away and put as little money into it as possible. With $19.99 oil changes at jiffy lube, I dont think anyone is going to pay $60+ for an oil change who doesnt do it themself.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
9/6/11 6:08 a.m.

I would expect people to react hysterically to oil spots on their driveways, and to blame you for all of them.

Lifting the vehicle to get under it will be a problem for many. Ramps are inconvenient, and a wheel lift will scare customers who will then be convinced you broke their car.

Many people like the quick drive in and drive through service they can get with Jiffylube and the like. Especially since they don't even have to get out of their car now days. Just drive in, sit there for a minute or two, and drive off. That is hard to beat.

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon Reader
9/6/11 4:00 p.m.

I've seen the oil vaccuums for sale in tool catalogs, but it's hard to beat gravity. Since it's, ya know, free.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
9/6/11 4:23 p.m.

Sorry, Brandon. There is no gravity. The Earth sucks.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
9/6/11 4:29 p.m.

I thought about this a lot back when I was in college.

You'd have to get a brand going.

Buy a neat old truck and outfit it with a few tools and a jack, storage for oil and filters, etc. Something classic-looking would help build the brand.

Then you'd need a professional attitude and such.

At this point in my life, I don't see the revenue making it worthwhile...but it could go well.

What happens, though, when someone is SURE that you caused their engine to fail and sues you over it? I didn't say "if"...though I'm not sure how that might go. Think about ways to CYA and such...

...ramblings by Clem...

Hocrest
Hocrest HalfDork
9/6/11 4:43 p.m.

As for the used oil, around here there are many garages that burn it in their furnace. I'm sure more than a few would gladly accept a supply of clean (no other fluids) oil.

I think I've seen large underpads that would absorb most small spills. In most public lots, there are enough spots around from cars like mine.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
9/6/11 4:50 p.m.

Just my opine... but I'd start with:

1) You can buy oil in drums. Start with 5w30 and 10w40. Buy synthetic only by request or if the vehicle calls for it initially. Later... you can stock it. Get a transfer pump and some nice jugs to put on the truck.
2) Be in a town on a given day and time so you can group clients that way and save fuel. Schedule them that way if at all possible.
3) Get a shop account from the largest place that delivers to garages so you can have fluid/filters/parts delivered to an address asap. Worldpac too - in case you can offer vehicle specific stuff or just need a specific, hard to find filter.
4) Get a top loading oil sucker so you don't have to jack up cars that have the filter in reach from the top.
5) Get a website with scheduling, info and get it integrated with a shopping cart gateway so you can take payment with CC.
6) Make sure your truck does not look like a rape van.
7) Be clean and presentable when you get there.
8) Never, ever screw up. Ever. That way you can cheap out on insurance.
9) Have thousands of empty milk jugs around so you can let Walmart pay for disposal until you get rolling (ok, kidding ... but ... ) find a way to get rid of old oil that does not empty your coffers or ruin my planet.

neckromacr
neckromacr Reader
9/6/11 5:13 p.m.

Neat note of interest all 2011 and newer GMs require semi-synth or better to maintain their engine warranty. VW/Audis call for 5W40 which only comes in synthetic. Easy required upgrades. Keep a cheat sheet of those and others for extra money and to help cover your behind.

fasted58
fasted58 Dork
9/6/11 5:19 p.m.

burn in waste oil heater instead of disposal/ recycling? or give to a shop that has one, they'd prolly be happy to get it given the cost of heating fuels

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/6/11 5:21 p.m.

Honestly, If I was going to do this, I'd go for the high end. Get a vacuum bleeder, a power steering sucker, etc and go whole-hog on on-site "performance" fluid replacement.

Gear oil smells like ass and my back hurts, I'd pay an LLC with a cool old vintage panel truck to come change all the fluids in my driveway. Paint the sucker with flames/scallops/pinstripes, nice wheels, and have all the tools. Advertise at car shows, cruise-ins, and the drag strip. Sell the ZDDP stuff to the muscle car guys, etc. Probably best to tie it in with an oil franchise like Redline or Amsoil. I'd love to buy all the synthetic fluids for my cars, but it's a heck of a lot easier for me if I don't even need to install them.

Insurance is going to be the issue I'm guessing.

TenaciousD
TenaciousD None
9/6/11 5:32 p.m.

I've seen some Amsoil dealers that do this, but they put a lot of money into a professional looking truck with graphics, proper equipment, etc. You'd have to get rid of your used oil, but that's not too hard (it usually costs money though). You'll need insurance. You definitely want to go after the high end of the market. The people who want $9.95 oil changes aren't going to use you.

Hal
Hal Dork
9/6/11 5:51 p.m.

RE working in the parking lot: Around here I have seen windshields replaced, full sets of new tires installed, ignition switches replaced, and pinstriping done in the parking lot while the owner was at work. And as far as I know no complaints were ever made.

In each case the people doing the work showed up in a professionally labeled truck and were wearing uniforms. So I would say that appearance is very important in cutting down on the "hassle factor".

a401cj
a401cj GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/6/11 7:02 p.m.

IMO you need to build a custom trailer that allows you to drive the customer's vehicle up on it. some sort of ramp-trailer that you can then get under to do the work. I don't think jacks and/or Sears type garage ramps are going to work well in a crowded lot. Even if you could pull it off safely (and you can't) I think it would be frowned upon.

MrMook
MrMook New Reader
9/6/11 7:45 p.m.

I like the trailer idea. That would be super easy. You could build a holding tank below the trailer ramps for the used oil, and empty it into your delivery barrels once they're empty.

Something like this, maybe raised up a bit:

• Storage box on front

• Open center for draining

• Mount collection tank below the open center (put it on a rolling track so you can slide it out of the way while you work)

I thought about a similar business concept while living here in the city: On-the-spot headlight polishing. TONS of clouded plastic headlight lenses around here. I figured I'd leave a card on potential customer cars while I'm out walking the dog, and I could come out and buff the lenses right on the street with a cordless and some polishing discs. Customers could pre-pay online and tell me where their car is parked. Easy peasy.

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon Reader
9/6/11 10:06 p.m.

Great input guys! That trailer idea is brilliant! I'll ask some other small business owners I know around here about their insurance and see what I can drum up.

T.J.
T.J. SuperDork
9/7/11 7:55 a.m.

How about an old retired U Haul ramp truck? Storage area for tools oil and filters under the ramps, and there may be room to open up and area between the wheels to create a pit to get under the car. If you could find a truck that would work, it may be easier to maneuver in crowded parking lots than a trailer and it may cost less than a separate truck and trailer.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
9/7/11 8:27 a.m.
foxtrapper wrote: Lifting the vehicle to get under it will be a problem for many. Ramps are inconvenient, and a wheel lift will scare customers who will then be convinced you broke their car.

Why are ramps inconvenient? I use them all the time.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WDYyieY8gM29igSmwcspMtjPCRLPUn9klzDIDU4O96GNAXg0oIQuHv2v7Uj1fgUo