1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14
carczar_84
carczar_84 Reader
5/1/20 10:06 a.m.

Well I've made little to no progress since the first few days, work has been pretty crazy and I picked up a few "quick" welding projects that will help fund some other fun projects (and the pile of model paint and supplies I just ordered).  I'm going to see what I can get through tonight and tomorrow morning, hopeful that I can at least get the body together, decals on and dirtied up.  Figure I can come back and finish up some of the interior bits later if I miss those. 

You guys are making some really great progress, and once again this has been a really great distraction!

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
5/1/20 4:33 p.m.

The fantasy Trans-Am Mustang is in final assembly. I've just been reminded why I absolutely berkeleying hate MPC's little pins to attach the front wheels. So it's sitting on it's side while the glue dries. I should be putting decals on by now...

chandler
chandler PowerDork
5/1/20 5:11 p.m.

I've been working and never made it past opening the box and folding out the directions. Oh well 

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/1/20 5:19 p.m.

Berk me!!!

Cadman5
Cadman5 Reader
5/1/20 5:50 p.m.

In reply to Javelin (Forum Supporter) :

Dayum! Sorry to see that. :( It was going so well.

slowbird
slowbird Dork
5/1/20 7:13 p.m.

Dang!

I think all paints have decided to be cursed this week, or something.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/1/20 7:28 p.m.

I feel your pain, sorry man.

adam525i (Forum Supporter)
adam525i (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/1/20 7:53 p.m.

That sucks.

I'm almost there on the unloved 3-series, just a bit more glue to go, some touch ups and then try to get rid of the glue strings.

I was missing the front signal in my kit, it was probably snapped off and lost when I originally opened the box many years ago. Fortunately there were extra fog light lenses (without any parts to go with them in the kit) so I was able to carve one down to the proper shape with my file.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
5/1/20 9:13 p.m.

The Seven is complete. Changes not mentioned in previous posts include a steering wheel from the parts box, and a non-spherical gear knob. Detail additions not previously  mentioned include the spare tyre tie down, and an ignition key and fob made from photo etch scraps from the seat belt kit. Official entry photos below.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/1/20 9:35 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

Wow!! That's awesome!!

slowbird
slowbird Dork
5/1/20 10:32 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

Gorgeous.

RealMiniNoMore (Forum Supporter)
RealMiniNoMore (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
5/2/20 12:25 a.m.

I'm not going to be finished tomorrow. Paint just went on today. 

I'll be doing the Consolidated Freight livery. 

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/2/20 8:15 a.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

It looks ready to start up and race!  Looks nice!

Scott

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/2/20 8:21 a.m.
chandler said:

I've been working and never made it past opening the box and tossing the directions. Oh well 

Fixed that for you.  lol

Scott

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
5/2/20 8:22 a.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

I love the details on that kit! The carbs look amazing. Killer work!

5/2/20 8:58 a.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

I'm in awe! Fantastic model!

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
5/2/20 9:41 a.m.

In reply to buzzboy :

The Webers in the kit are the best rendition of a 40DCOE I have ever seen. The only thing I added was the air filters and cable. A little paint makes Tamiya's detail pop.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
5/2/20 9:44 a.m.

In reply to noddaz :

It really is not a race car, see photo below....No one ever raced a Seven with the spare tyre still strapped on!

Jeff Mosing
Jeff Mosing New Reader
5/2/20 10:02 a.m.

I'm enjoying looking at all the builds for Round 2, maybe 3rd time will be a charm.  I've got a few projects rolling that I might get motivated to finish up.  Can't wait to see all wrapped up.

Benswen
Benswen New Reader
5/2/20 10:24 a.m.
slowbird said:

Dang!

I think all paints have decided to be cursed this week, or something.

I went to clear-coat the last of the body parts for my Banshee, and the paint immediately crazed.  It's really weird - I used the same timing and process for the main body shell, and that paint didn't craze.  Wait, might've used a different primer...dang,,,

Well see if I get them stripped and repainted by tonight.

Turner, that Lotus looks amazing!

Wally (Forum Supporter)
5/2/20 10:35 a.m.

I'm afraid to clear the Fiat this week.  It's laqurer and has been drying for days but there seems to be a jinx going around. 

5/2/20 10:36 a.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

I'm afraid to clear the Fiat this week.  It's laqurer and has been drying for days but there seems to be a jinx going around. 

Future Mrs. Javelin won't even paint her nails until tomorrow thanks to this thread...

Claff
Claff Reader
5/2/20 10:44 a.m.

Submitted for entry, my 1968 El Camino SS396

The good: I can still build a car even after being away from the hobby for 25+ years. I was shocked that I (technically) didn't even have to buy any new supplies, although I have some now (new glue showed up yesterday). I'm super happy that I was able to lay down a decent coat of paint on a body with a spray can, something I didn't seem able to do in my younger days.

The bad: I still run out of patience when it comes to final assembly. If things aren't coming together nicely, I'm quick to try and force things and also very quick to say "good enough!" and leave it at that even though it's not 100% right.

Two weeks is a very short time for me to get something like this done. It seemed like plenty at the start, but once I realized I was only three or four days out, a lot of the careful patient build strategy went out the window. I did very little test fitting and that's evident in the finished product.

The biggest takeaway is that I discovered I still enjoy building small cars, and I'll build more down the road whether GRM wants to organize a build like this or on my own. I picked up a lot of tips watching how other builders plan and execute their projects.

So let's do this again sometime. I wouldn't mind another two-week thrash, though I think I can come up with a much better result if the deadline was three weeks instead.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
5/2/20 10:58 a.m.

In reply to Claff :

That looks great, nice job getting everything sorted out. 

Jeff Mosing
Jeff Mosing New Reader
5/2/20 11:05 a.m.

Put this one in the WIPs, I've been working on this one for a few months, just posting progress.. it's a 1:1 of my fiance's Bronco.  I've been waiting on a back ordered suspension lift along with the BFG decals.  I should have this one wrapped up in a month or less.

1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AXGEpK7EXF7TbTS0kIF5HPOgDp5TSkj2KBB9gryTLDAGY9ImLFdIutQSCRw75GvJ