1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11
Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/13/20 8:45 p.m.

In reply to RealMiniNoMore (Forum Supporter) :

Oh man, that rig is coming along great!!

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/13/20 9:43 p.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

I would hold right there, it looks great!!

It might be as good as I'm going to get with rattle cans.  I really need a good airbrush setup.

5/13/20 10:22 p.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

I would hold right there, it looks great!!

It might be as good as I'm going to get with rattle cans.  I really need a good airbrush setup.

All of my paint jobs are rattle can...

5/13/20 11:28 p.m.
slowbird said:

Let me know if this sounds fun: I'd like to volunteer to host round 4 after this one ends. My theme idea is "engine swaps" and I'd allow for an extra week of build time. And, it would be encouraged but not required, so if you don't want to do an engine swap, you don't have to. Or, you could choose a kit that already has engine swaps as part of it! Like the '40 Ford that comes with an Olds or Buick engine or whatever. There's a bunch of old hot rod kits like that.

Thanks to vwcorvette, I have an engine for my swap!

Which came in an awesome envelope BTW.

Anyway, I want to pay it forward. If you need an engine to swap in, I have a few available, all new and complete.

Pontiac SOHC sprint 6

5.0 HO SBF/AOD

Chrysler 440+6/A883

Free to those in need for the swap challenge.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/14/20 8:51 a.m.

These all look so good. Love the Javelins, love the 911. Please keep them coming. 

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/14/20 10:17 a.m.
slowbird said:

Let me know if this sounds fun: I'd like to volunteer to host round 4 after this one ends. My theme idea is "engine swaps" and I'd allow for an extra week of build time. And, it would be encouraged but not required, so if you don't want to do an engine swap, you don't have to. Or, you could choose a kit that already has engine swaps as part of it! Like the '40 Ford that comes with an Olds or Buick engine or whatever. There's a bunch of old hot rod kits like that.

Thanks to vwcorvette, I have an engine for my swap!

Which came in an awesome envelope BTW.

Anyway, I want to pay it forward. If you need an engine to swap in, I have a few available, all new and complete.

Pontiac SOHC sprint 6

5.0 HO SBF/AOD

Chrysler 440+6/A883

Free to those in need for the swap challenge.

Happy to see you got it in time.

In the same vein has anyone got a 16v VW water-cooled engine hanging around in 1:24 scale to put in this?

5/14/20 5:29 p.m.

Masking and painting trim, weatherstrip, and window edges is a pain in the rear.  I have the interior decals done and exterior ones except the license plates.  I decided with the giant holes front and rear that the plates needed to be installed.

Here is the body with decals, trim and first shot of clear.  The "runny egg" 996 headlights are looking good.  I hope the tail lights look good too, and gkue blobs are minimal.

5/14/20 5:54 p.m.

Looks fantastic!

Elmer's white glue works great for gluing in lights.

bobl
bobl New Reader
5/14/20 7:47 p.m.

So here's my attemp :)

bobl
bobl New Reader
5/14/20 7:48 p.m.

Who would think the seat belts were the hard part.

Benswen
Benswen New Reader
5/14/20 7:49 p.m.

Progress!  But still so much to do before Saturday...  Lots of black trim on a 90's car.

Molded in red? Never again...

bobl
bobl New Reader
5/14/20 7:49 p.m.

All done!

bobl
bobl New Reader
5/14/20 7:50 p.m.

And the back.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
5/14/20 7:57 p.m.

So the Capri nears completion. I will now retract some of my compliments on the kit engineering. I had to remove 3/32" from the back of the wheel inserts to make them flush with the tires. No license tags of any juristiction provided in the kit. I am sure the English Airfix release would have had them printed on the instructions so you cut them out and glue on. I found the broken end from the sway bar, so it is installed. There will be no finding the left door handle, you can see that it never filled the mold.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
5/14/20 8:02 p.m.

In reply to bobl :

Seat belts take about 1 hour per seat minimum. I have had longer too! I built the Heller version of this kit 45 years ago. It has lots of engine detail. but no seat belts, and the aftermarket did not have them back then. One of the best looking sports racers ever. Nice build.

slowbird
slowbird Dork
5/14/20 8:28 p.m.

Yesterday was frustrating as heck. I lost a rear shock, noticed one of the side mirrors was also missing, struggled to get the front suspension of the Saleen to fit, and was utterly baffled by the instructions on how to install the intake on the supercharger. I ended up cutting it up a bit to get it to fit where I think it goes. (I think they meant for it to point backwards towards the exhaust header, but that seems like a terrible idea to me.)

Today I did some of the window trim on the Cougar, repainted the hood after somehow getting a paint chip on it, and finalized the chassis assembly of the Saleen. I also realized the cool rear wing for the Saleen is also missing. Frickin' heck, I gotta clean up around here.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/14/20 8:45 p.m.

Nutz.  I was ready for a thrash to put this truck together and as I was mounting the cab on the chassis I noticed the front wheels were forward too far.  Blasted previous owners.  

FORWARD WITH THE BUILD!

Ferrari looks great, especially on the track!

Scott

5/14/20 9:21 p.m.

In reply to Benswen :

He lives! And the Mr. Two looks great!

5/14/20 9:21 p.m.
bobl said:

And the back.

That's so hot it needed to be quoted. Gorgeous build!

5/14/20 9:22 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

She looks great despite all of that! I can't wait to see it in the final photos.

5/14/20 9:24 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

We ask have those days. Take a breath, do something else, and come back to it when you're fresh. I'd suggest pushing through on the most complete one until it's done before touching the other again. You got this man!

5/14/20 10:00 p.m.

In reply to bobl :

I want a 917 model to race your Ferrari.

I'm also grinding out windows, trim, lights etc on the GT3.  The rear window fits like sicks on a rooster, as my great grandpa would've said. It's irritating.

It should be finished in time complete with final photos.

Racingsnake
Racingsnake New Reader
5/15/20 1:23 a.m.
TurnerX19 said:

So the Capri nears completion. I will now retract some of my compliments on the kit engineering. I had to remove 3/32" from the back of the wheel inserts to make them flush with the tires. No license tags of any juristiction provided in the kit. I am sure the English Airfix release would have had them printed on the instructions so you cut them out and glue on. I found the broken end from the sway bar, so it is installed. There will be no finding the left door handle, you can see that it never filled the mold.

Capri looks good, what scale is it?

5/15/20 1:37 a.m.

Best part of this has been getting help and encouragement from my little girl.  She glued in the throttle pedal, steering column, steering wheel, and the parking break.  She also helped glue the interior on the chassis.  She goes outside to watch me spray the body too.

Decals....  little decals....  getting that GT3 on the parking brake, the P emblems on the wheels, hood, and steering wheel, and the 5 that make up the gauge cluster....  what a pain.  Oh yah, and the 4 speaker decals.  The exterior ones were a bit easier, but not much.  The biggest decals were the license plate decals.  I never imagined this kit would have so many decals....  or deck uls as they say in the UK. 

Here is an interior shot before I hide it.

Oh and the kit has both the 3 spoke and 4 spoke 996 steering wheels.  It's actually a 996 kit with a sprue of parts to make a GT3.

BenB (Forum Supporter)
BenB (Forum Supporter) Reader
5/15/20 4:54 a.m.

Looking great, guys! I have the MR2 and 330 P4 kits in my to build pile. Zero progress on my Tamiya NB, due to life. Maybe next round.

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rL5B47ZFimvLTtLgIjX66R9PL89tN1RwjcbGxQcA7wO3djlFPjwuyPfv1pdIB94H