bobl New Reader
5/15/20 7:34 a.m.

In reply to Javelin (Forum Supporter) :

Fantastic trim detail.

bobl
bobl New Reader
5/15/20 7:46 a.m.

In reply to carczar_84 :

Gotta love the windshield wiper tracks.  Great look.

Benswen
Benswen New Reader
5/15/20 10:15 a.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Benswen :

He lives! And the Mr. Two looks great!

Ha!  Thanks.  Kids not being in school is really cutting into my building time.

Benswen
Benswen New Reader
5/15/20 10:18 a.m.
BenB (Forum Supporter) said:

Looking great, guys! I have the MR2 and 330 P4 kits in my to build pile. Zero progress on my Tamiya NB, due to life. Maybe next round.

The Fujimi SW20 is a really nice kit.  It's a curbside, so no full engine, but they got most things right.  The wheels are too big, and the tires aren't staggered, but it looks good.

Gunchsta
Gunchsta HalfDork
5/15/20 10:18 a.m.

Work continues! I have been having fun with this one, although my heart and soul isn't into it. I feel like it's getting about 80% attention span. Primarily because I stole the Cragars for the Corvette so now this has boring stock wheel covers on it that I basically hate. The irony is there should be a set of scale 17" 8 hole style wheels with the kit as well, but those got robbed years ago for a different project. Poor Nova has been cannabalized! 

Anyway, here's where I'm at today. Should have everything buttoned up for tomorrows deadline. 

One thing I did differently this go-around was spray paint the interior versus brush paint it like I've always done in the past. I'm happy with the results although in the future I need to make sure I pay attention to all the angles. I missed a little bit on the bottom of the seats. Luckily you can't see it when they're in the interior but it's much harder to touch up than brush paint. 

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/15/20 10:33 a.m.

Okay here she is:  final photos.  Got it done this morning and cleaned up from all the fingerprints and smudges.

Gunchsta
Gunchsta HalfDork
5/15/20 10:39 a.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

Wow, that turned out really good! Nice pictures too. 

glueguy (Forum Supporter)
glueguy (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/15/20 10:41 a.m.

That last picture is awesome.  The model in the back has some nice detail work.

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/15/20 10:53 a.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

Well done!!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/15/20 10:59 a.m.
glueguy (Forum Supporter) said:

That last picture is awesome.  The model in the back has some nice detail work.

Yes, totally. 

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/15/20 3:42 p.m.

In reply to Gunchsta :

Finish strong, it looks great!

Benswen
Benswen New Reader
5/15/20 8:54 p.m.

Blue interiors are best interiors:

Not bad detail for a cheap curbside.  The front wheels steer and it still looks good.

Body work, trim and glass to be finished tomorrow.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/15/20 9:17 p.m.

99  and 44/100 done. Still needs Molotow pens between the "cove" and the red. Front end does not fit as low as I would like. You can see the top of the inner fender. But I am not pulling this apart. Trim around windows could be better. Shouldn't have use that old trim tape. It didn't stick well. All and all not a bad model if you like details and horrible instructions. Thankfully reference pics are only a Google search away.

Had a little trouble with CA on the lower air dam. Either barely comes out or pours. So annoying. Thankfully it's hidden.

Benswen
Benswen New Reader
5/15/20 9:36 p.m.

In reply to vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) :

Not going to lie: if I had a C5 Corvette, I'd consider some white vinyl cove decals.  Love the color with the white wheels.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/15/20 10:06 p.m.
Benswen said:

Not going to lie: if I had a C5 Corvette, I'd consider some white vinyl cove decals.  Love the color with the white wheels.

The C5 body leaves something to be desired in my opinion. I much prefer the crisper lines of the C6. Went white on the wheels because of the cove. Wagon wheels not the best looking but only thing in this kit.

Claff
Claff Reader
5/16/20 12:06 a.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:

How is everybody else doing? What happened to all the participants from rounds 1 and 2?

Is Mazdax605's Delica done? Has David tried building the Turbo Coupe? What is Yelo working on? Did benswen fix the Banshee? Did Jeff finish the red tomato?

After hammering out that El Camino in round 2 I needed a little break to reassess the status of my supplies before starting another. I'll be back. I don't have an abundance of spare parts so there's no engine swap in my future. Next up will either be the '62 Vette or the Austin Healey that I won after round 2.

Claff
Claff Reader
5/16/20 12:23 a.m.

I guess since I'm here and it's after 1 in the morning I can ask a stupid question about the '62 Vette. I'll be building it as a copy of my dad's car, which is red with a red interior. It's a LOT of red. How should I tackle the interior painting so it doesn't have the same finish as the car's body? The seats are some sort of vinyl, which have some shine to them though obviously not the same shine as the rest of the car. Matte won't be shiny enough I'm guessing.

I sent  request for him to send me some pictures of the inside and under the hood and maybe I can get started sooner rather than later.

slowbird
slowbird Dork
5/16/20 12:54 a.m.

Plodding slowly towards the finish. I realized late that the Cougar should have body-color mirrors, then ran out of paint halfway through painting one of them. Still missing one of the Saleen mirrors too, so both cars will be sans mirrors. At least I found the wing for it.

slowbird
slowbird Dork
5/16/20 1:32 a.m.

In reply to Claff :

There's some paints that are "satin" which I think is like semi-gloss. Also you could try painting the interior either slightly darker or slightly lighter than the body.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
5/16/20 7:24 a.m.

I used to do all my black 'vinyl' 60s cars interiors by spraying flat black on them followed by Testors Glosscoat. Gave them some texture with a semi-gloss finish.

If I were doing the red...hmmm. You could try to find flat red paint but that may be hard. You could try the reverse system; spray gloss red then coat with Dullcote. Spray samples first.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
5/16/20 8:11 a.m.

In reply to Claff :

Several flat reds are available. I would use Tamiya and lightly spray some of their gloss clear. If too glossy sand lightly with 2000 grit. I am going to build a V8 Healey for round 4, so watch for Healey kit tips!

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
5/16/20 8:12 a.m.

Those white carpets need some mud stains! And pad dust on the wheels.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/16/20 8:58 a.m.

Mine is not going to be done.  Since our flooring came in I have not had the time.  Hopefully next round I will have two done.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
5/16/20 10:00 a.m.

Final photos of the 1/32 scale Capri, in its semi-permanent home, on the promontory above Station 6 at Scalehampton Raceway. Better engine room photos in an earlier post.

slowbird
slowbird Dork
5/16/20 12:19 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

That is friggin sweet!

1 ... 7 8 9 10 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GgYOHd9tZzN3Vg60NzvWejHjlbNZjg97qcdWEYmg6tX1hHsjALJJIuR1YJFG1QNf