alex
alex SuperDork
12/5/11 11:54 a.m.

Pretty good driving impression from Top Gear on the BRZ, just posted:

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/subaru-brz-first-drive-review-2011-12-03

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 HalfDork
12/5/11 12:04 p.m.

Good time for sports cars. Real sports cars with RWD and manual transmissions. We now have a few options in the 20-30k range for the first time in ages.

Mazda Miata Toyota FT86 Subaru BRZ Hyundai Genesis Coupe

rotard
rotard Reader
12/5/11 12:47 p.m.

I'm not a fan of factory satnav. Hell, 90% of phones have better navigation software.

The "enthusiast" that Toyota is aiming the car at is most definitely different than the "enthusiast" that most people on this board have in mind. If people like us happen to buy the car, too, then that's all the better for Toyota.

scardeal
scardeal HalfDork
12/5/11 12:59 p.m.

A note I caught about suspension tuning on Subaru BRZ vs Toyota/Scion's GT-86/FR-Z:

"Of note, we were told that the Toyota/Scion version has softer suspension settings up front, harder settings in the rear."

It sounds like the Toyota would be the slighly better stock-class autoX-er, given that you can replace the front rollbar in stock... They said that the BRZ suspension was designed with road courses in mind, not a tight handling AutoX..

HStockSolo
HStockSolo Reader
12/5/11 1:31 p.m.

In reply to scardeal: The SCCA is allowing front or rear sway bar changes for next year in Stock. A stiffer rear bar should benefit the vast majority of cars which have open differentials in front, though they might not be beneficial for RWD cars.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
12/5/11 1:40 p.m.

In reply to HStockSolo:

Is that a sure thing? And does it apply to all cars in all stock classes?

pete240z
pete240z SuperDork
12/5/11 1:57 p.m.

Everything looks the same to me.

pete240z
pete240z SuperDork
12/5/11 1:59 p.m.

Now THIS is the car I am waiting for.........

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
12/5/11 2:00 p.m.

Why would you need Sat/Nav when you've got an iPhone. Car installed systems are out of date by the time you buy them and it costs money to update them. The iPhone is always up to date. We got rid of sat/nav in our cars once we got our phones since they were so much easier to use and more reliable.

Now that we have iPads we also have a large screen, which was the only drawback we found to the phones.

I really can't believe sat/nav is long for the world as an auto option.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
12/5/11 2:05 p.m.

In reply to carguy123:

Good point. And even if I did want it and didn't have an iPhone, I'd want some kind of portable setup, like a Garman or something else that I could swap car to car. Cheaper and better.

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
12/5/11 2:11 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: In reply to carguy123: Good point. And even if I did want it and didn't have an iPhone, I'd want some kind of portable setup, like a Garman or something else that I could swap car to car. Cheaper and better.

best of both worlds, this is what came in my xterra:

HStockSolo
HStockSolo Reader
12/5/11 2:17 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: In reply to HStockSolo: Is that a sure thing? And does it apply to all cars in all stock classes?

Yes and yes. I'm sure the BOD has already voted on it, but I don't think the results of that get published separate from the 2012 Rulebook.

From the November FastTrack:

Change 13.7 to read as follows:

“13.7 ANTI-ROLL (SWAY) BARS

A. Substitution, addition, or removal of a single anti-roll bar and supporting hardware (brackets, end links, bushings, etc.) is permitted.

B. Substitution, addition, or removal of an anti-roll bar may serve no other purpose than that of an anti-roll bar.

C. The use of any bushing material is permitted. A bushing may be implemented as a bearing.

D. No modification to the body, frame, or other components to accommodate anti-roll bar addition or substitution is allowed except for the drilling of holes for mounting bolts. Non-standard lateral members which connect between the brackets for the bar are not permitted."

I was told that 13.7.C part of the proposal would be changed to not allow alternative bushings on all sway bars, but it did get published again in this form. Maybe this wording will get in the rulebook?

The other big change in Stock for next year is allowing all manufacturer "offered" camber adjustment. I believe Toyota has generally authorized crash bolts under the old rule.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
12/5/11 2:20 p.m.
pete240z wrote: Now THIS is the car I am waiting for.........

Looks like a 2-door 300C... why did someone put Nissan badges on it?

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
12/5/11 2:32 p.m.

Looks like an updated 510 to me........

NOHOME
NOHOME HalfDork
12/5/11 2:37 p.m.

And this just in for the rest of the Canadians who may have been waiting...

"...The 2013 Toyota GT 86 boasts a 2.0L 4-cylinder engine (197 hp at 7,000 rpm, 151 lb-ft at 6,600 rpm), a 6-speed manual or automatic gearbox, and a limited-slip differential. Power is transferred to the rear wheels, as it should.

The company hails the GT 86 as the smallest sports car that can seat four. It will further stand out from the competition with exemplary ride and handling courtesy of a low centre of gravity (460 mm) and clever weight distribution (53/47).

Outside, the 2013 Toyota GT 86 sports exclusive 17'' alloys, a rear spoiler, and dual tailpipes. Meanwhile, the all-black interior contrasts with carbon fibre-style accents, red stitching, toggle switches, and aluminum sport pedals.

The 2013 Toyota GT 86 will make its official debut this week at the 42nd Tokyo Motor Show before landing in Canadian showrooms next year. .."

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
12/5/11 2:45 p.m.

In reply to HStockSolo:

It reads like you can change one bar or the other, but not both. Is that correct?

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
12/5/11 2:46 p.m.

Has anyone heard anything a out gas mileage yet? I know most aren't all that concerned with it, but for me it would be a combo daily driver/autocross/track day car. I NEED TO KNOW THE GAS MILEAGE, DAD GUMMIT!!!!

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
12/5/11 3:04 p.m.

The "target" was for low 30s on the highway. I'd think with the weight/HP numbers that seems very likely.

Just have to see how it's geared.

But really, if a 305hp 3600lb behemoth like the new V6 Mustang can hit 29-30 on the highway............

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
12/5/11 3:16 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: Has anyone heard anything a out gas mileage yet? I know most aren't all that concerned with it, but for me it would be a combo daily driver/autocross/track day car. I NEED TO KNOW THE GAS MILEAGE, DAD GUMMIT!!!!

That top gear article mentioned something along the lines of 42mpg, so correcting for Imperial gallons, that'd be 33.6mpg.

I'm guessing that's highway.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
12/5/11 3:19 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac:

Yeah, and that would be my front runner if I could actually find a standard V-6 6-speed in stock anywhere.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
12/5/11 3:28 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: Looks like an updated 510 to me........

SupraWes
SupraWes Dork
12/5/11 4:49 p.m.
fritzsch wrote: Why would they ever make Satnav standard :(

What if it also had say a GPS based lap timer?

I agree satnav is not a worthwhile, I would rather use my iphone with constantly updated maps and internet functionality. But I am a gadget junky and I would like to have a touchscreen that did a lot of things (ancilary gauges, radio display, maybe some bluetooth interaction with my phone to display and or read text messages, etc...) in my dream car.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin Dork
12/5/11 5:22 p.m.
scardeal wrote: It sounds like the Toyota would be the slighly better stock-class autoX-er, given that you can replace the front rollbar in stock... They said that the BRZ suspension was designed with road courses in mind, not a tight handling AutoX..

I wouldn't be so quick to think that. Look at how many different F/R spring combos there were on the S2K (non-CR) over the years, and all of them are still competitive in stock.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/5/11 6:48 p.m.

I'm wondering what bolt pattern this is going to be.

There is another set of BBS wheels in 5x100 for sale in my area. If this car is 5x100, it would be worth picking them up.

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
12/5/11 8:36 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote:
z31maniac wrote: Looks like an updated 510 to me........

All this time I thought jokes were supposed to be humorous?

1 ... 6 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
995etulaksCgTRJIxOqn8JE3HDTURABgWt81IoYY1PHqNGGaSi8ofA1jPlDbrDJs