1 2 3 4 5 6 7
EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
2/4/14 8:47 p.m.

Why do you want to delete an account?

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Dork
2/4/14 8:50 p.m.

Because he wasn't getting the answers he wanted. I have three kids, I know how thier minds work.

EastCoastMojo
2/4/14 8:51 p.m.

Why not wait a day and see how you feel then?

Rufledt
Rufledt SuperDork
2/4/14 8:54 p.m.

Ask a moderator?

I agree with go fast bobby, get some cash and get a car you like (like a mustang, they're cool) but keep the corolla for boring driving. It'll keep miles off your mustang. A corolla won't care if it has extra miles and your mustang won't wear out. Its essentially what I do, I drove a beater to keep miles off of a rapidly wearing rotary engine. I drive the rx8 when I want fun, the van (or wifes car) when I want groceries.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
2/4/14 8:54 p.m.

In reply to FifthGear2014:

We're nice people, but you're not always going to hear what you want. As for punctuation; I don't read well and it would help.

Take some time and poke around the forum. Lurk a little and you'll understand there are few places like this on the interwebz.

If you want your account deleted, I'm sure one of the mods will be by to scrape it up by tomorrow afternoon.

Either way, stick to the track. Don't get yourself hurt.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
2/4/14 9:06 p.m.

Does anyone have the link saved to an old forum topic...specifically, it was a thread where board members listed their occupation and automotive experience?
I remember it being a great insight into who and what this board is really made up of. It could be a good intro for new people.
I also want to be sure to say that we really do welcome new people.

To Mr. 5th Gear,
I speak for a lot of long time posters here, when I say we are glad you are here. If you look back at the advice you have gotten here many time you have been encouraged to get involved with formalized car racing, specifically, The Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) Solo2 (informally known as Autocrossing.) How can that be bad advise?

Look up a poster here named Slick Dizzy. He showed up here nearly 10 years ago. When he got here, he had a car but not a license(like 15 years old.) He now posts about the cool cars he has owned and the cars he has taken to the track.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
2/4/14 9:11 p.m.

Go into your profile and change you screen name and maybe avitar.
Ta Da, new identity.

EastCoastMojo
2/4/14 9:13 p.m.
FifthGear2014 wrote: Cause i just dont want to have to deal with people saying im a troll and that i dont use "Correct" Pronunction plus i just dont want to deal with some of these people

Creating a new account will not prevent having to deal with "people".

alex
alex UberDork
2/4/14 9:13 p.m.
FifthGear2014 wrote: Cause i just dont want to have to deal with people saying im a troll and that i dont use "Correct" Pronunction plus i just dont want to deal with some of these people

I have nothing to say about your "Pronunction," but your punctuation and spelling obviously need some attention.

As others have said, you'll find an incredible wealth of knowledge and (more importantly) experience on this board - probably one of the broadest and deepest knowledgebases of Making and Doing Things contained in one small community on the web. I'd encourage you to not throw that away just because you don't want to use periods and commas--and really, just that would be a big help.

lol idk tho

FifthGear2014
FifthGear2014 Reader
2/4/14 9:17 p.m.

Thank you

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
2/4/14 9:19 p.m.
FifthGear2014 wrote: Thank you

You're welcome

Rufledt
Rufledt SuperDork
2/4/14 9:21 p.m.

In reply to JohnRW1621:

When people do that I get confused! The only exception it when Dean recently changed his avatar, because he announced it ahead of time.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
2/4/14 9:27 p.m.

I too dislike when long term posters change their screen name. In 15 years, I have done it once here where I went from a combination of my initials and address to my full first name combined with initials and address (an address I moved away from in 2003.)
Even with that change I still made sure that my avitar remained the same.

In this case, a quick change for a fresh start seemed like good advise.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
2/4/14 9:35 p.m.

Pick something you like. I have become emotionally attached to my avatar. On other forums I use similar ones.

bastomatic
bastomatic SuperDork
2/4/14 9:54 p.m.

I don't want to tell you what to do, if you've made up your mind officially, but here's my advice, since you asked for it.

1. Thank your generous grandmother.
  2. Keep the Corolla, and drive the heck out of it in rally cross or autocross.
  3. Don't kill someone by racing around on public roads, even ones you think are deserted.

Skip the mustang, you'll shoot your eye out.

Rufledt
Rufledt SuperDork
2/4/14 10:06 p.m.
bastomatic wrote: I don't want to tell you what to do, if you've made up your mind officially, but here's my advice, since you asked for it. 1. Thank your generous grandmother. 2. Keep the Corolla, and drive the heck out of it in rally cross or autocross. 3. Don't kill someone by racing around on public roads, even ones you think are deserted. Skip the mustang, you'll shoot your eye out.

QFT. Especially #3. You may not hurt some random civilian on a deserted road, but you may hurt yourself/friends. I knew plenty of people who thought it wouldn't happen to them when I was your age and in high school. I graduated with 3 less kids than I otherwise would have due to accidents that were so horrific 1 of them couldn't be identified until the car stopped burning enough to dig the rear licence plate out of the engine, both of which were relocated 15 feet away from the car during the crash. For the record, it was a front engine front drive car.

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy New Reader
2/5/14 1:11 a.m.

Most people know how to operate a motor vehicle, but only a small percentage of them know how to drive. My advice is to take the time to really learn how to drive before worrying too much about the car. A well driven Corolla is much more impressive then a Mustang in a ditch. The best way to learn to drive is at performance driving schools, track days, or autocrosses. Learning how to drive by pushing past your limits on back roads is automotive Dawinism. With a more sedate car like a Corolla, you are less likely to give in to temptation, and more likely to survive when you do. Looking back, I'm so thankful that I had a slow car when I was in school. I didn't get my first fast car until a couple years later. Thankfully, I found autocross and track days shortly there after. I went to my first track day thinking I was the greatest thing on four wheels. It took about 1 1/2 laps to put me in my place. I swallowed my pride and found an instructor. He put me on the path to learning how to drive. Up until that point, I had just been operating a motor vehicle, often in an ignorant and foolish manner. Stick around. This board is comprised of most of the people who have learned how to drive.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Dork
2/5/14 5:31 a.m.

Big part of the fun is starting out (and going back to periodically) is "slow car fast".

That way, when you crash you'll be doing 35mph not 95mph.

And if there was ever a place where the quality of your participation (very limited lol's, ur's, rofl and yo!'s, correct syntax and an attempt to spell correctly and respecting the decades of real-world experience) reflects the quality of your responses, it's here.

Edit: I just corrected my spelling of attempt!

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
2/5/14 5:59 a.m.
FifthGear2014 wrote: How do i delete an account on here?

Just stop using it and create a new one.

But it's typically pretty easy to tell who someone is based on writing/attitude on the internetz.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 SuperDork
2/5/14 6:06 a.m.

In b4 the wrecked Mustang story. To be 16 and think I was a good driver again.

Storz
Storz Dork
2/5/14 6:42 a.m.

Just be glad your parents bought you a nice car to drive when you turned 16.

toad9977
toad9977 Reader
2/5/14 7:14 a.m.

I hope he doesn't delete his account/change his name. Not trying to defend him, but we've all been there and never wanted take advice from anyone else, right? I mean we were all the best drivers right when we got our license and could handle a brand new Mustang.

If you are still out there FifthGear, get what you want, but heed the advice of these people. I have been around cars pretty much my whole life and I feel like I know nothing compared to a lot of these guys. (Man I feel a lot like my Dad right now...) The Carolla, although not the most exciting of all cars, is great for your first one. It is honestly probably making more power than the majority of these guys Miatas. From experience, driving a slow car at the limits is way more fun than driving a fast car slow because you are scared of it. I think everyone here (at least most everyone) will agree with that statement.

So what everyone is trying to say is keep the Carolla, or trade it for something similar, learn to drive it (auto-x, street survival, rally-x, etc. NOT on the back roads with your friends), learn cars, learn to fix them, and then find the car that you want.

Anyway, I hope I didn't write that for nothing. So just swallow some pride and come back and take from the wealth of knowledge here. There is no other forum on the world wide interwebs that will be as tolerant, knowledgeable, and make you a part of an awesome community as this.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
2/5/14 7:53 a.m.

For all the times I'd said something stupid and wanted to start from scratch...

Storz
Storz Dork
2/5/14 10:18 a.m.

Your first car is a lot nicer than mine was! I got an '85 Olds Calais in '96 for my first

Just like this one

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
2/5/14 10:41 a.m.

I knew this thread would go this way as soon as I read the first post...

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
byr4Fwh5XB3rXoHxGFF3zNvOsofduao9kAgKuPeEEKlYnr5skWQFIE9FvJq7tQaF