1 2 3 4
Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
10/6/13 11:28 a.m.
Ian F wrote: TBH, an E-Type wouldn't be much different after the novelty of driving an E-Type wore off. Then it would simply be a matter of driving another high-powered sports car a 5/10ths. So far, I think a Classic Mini is winning with 3 votes.

Except the E-type is not a particularly high powered or fast car by modern standards. GRM did a bit a few years back, and it was solidly beaten by a minivan. It will probably outperform that Mini, but have trouble keeping up with a miata.

The Mini may still be able to out "fun" it though, and would certainly be easier to acquire.

whenry
whenry HalfDork
10/6/13 5:47 p.m.

'84 RX-7 GSL-SE with transplanted 4 port 13B and RB holley conversion

Sonic
Sonic SuperDork
10/6/13 6:46 p.m.

Of all the cars I've had and driven, I think I had the most fun on the street with my 94 Miata or my 86 CRX with an 87 Integra engine. Both were light and nimble, eager to rev, easy to control at their moderate limits, and you could wind them out and go fast enough that it wasn't frustrating, but not so fast to be crazy speeds like my BMW M models. As much as I love my Z4M, nothing on the streets can even come close to the limits of the car without being in super illegal territory

scardeal
scardeal Dork
10/7/13 10:16 a.m.

I think different types are the most fun in different situations. Most fun in traffic is not the same as most fun in twisty bits. Which is not the same as most fun on long empty stretches of road. Which is not the same as the most fun in bad weather.

If you're in a situation with low traffic and straight roads, a cruiser can be way more fun than a Lotus. Driving a couch can have its benefits.

PHeller
PHeller UberDork
10/7/13 11:53 a.m.

It's gotta have RWD, lots of power or lots of character. Otherwise it's just an appliance. As much fun as I'm sure a Civic hatch with good rubber and suspension is, it's just an appliance that handles well.

I feel the same way about my daily driver Ford ZX2. Even if it had 200hp, coilovers, and wide rubber, it still wouldn't be as fun as my junky old Miata.

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
10/7/13 1:41 p.m.

scardeal, I couldn't agree more.

PHeller, I couldn't agree less.

It's been good to see some AW11 MR2 love from several people in the thread. I certainly enjoy mine. As far as the most fun car I've ever had, it has some tough competition with my old 93 Civic Si though. Our current GSR isn't a slouch either. They're all sort of fun in different ways. Hell, I've had a ball in an 87 Plymouth Voyager, so there's that.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rXlXxGNwMD0vkA1Eb9hu3kR2z1GOLNoTsRJ5cTa4ZNqnIShfCpUJzzqvV50aUd4Z