1 2 3
OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/25/24 9:37 p.m.

Knew this wasn't a recent post when docwyte enthusiastically mentioned his V8 swapped 944. 

JBinMD
JBinMD Reader
2/25/24 10:41 p.m.

If I were building a 944 as a fun driver I would strongly consider an LFX/LGX, but if servicing V-engines is a hassle like the OP suggested a decade ago then my decision preferences would be I6 (if the length would fit without too much hacking), then an I5 for the glorious sounds, or any one of several very good I4s that are both readily available and affordable these days.  

I'm kinda surprised that nobody has mentioned the VR6.  It seems to push all the right buttons except that 1) it's a fairly tall engine so ground/hood clearance may be an issue, and 2) they are all iron blocks so they aren't particularly light.  

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/26/24 8:21 a.m.

It is amazing what 10 years of engine technology can do to a thread. Now days a v6 or even i4 motors are so good compared to when I started this thread.  

Electric is a viable option now . A 944 with a Tesla rear motor and suspension would be crazy fun.  Not sure how the batteries would be fit to the car but who cares. It would be a really fun car. 

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/26/24 11:52 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

What ever happened to that engine swap?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kuAXXLYTYZYBU44mWZpQSATHKz3ZvtC43rH5GNuspDRZWqw0Jo8pooPAXyBJc7ui