1 2
Dallas944
Dallas944
3/16/13 11:31 a.m.

I just found out I'm moving to Hawaii, I currently have a Porsche 944 and was thinking of trading it in for something different. What's a good car for living down there? I don't want to ruin a new car with going to the beach and that sort of thing, but also want something fun and practical. Any ideas/advice? I've never been to Hawaii and really have no idea what to expect. Thanks in advance.

WilberM3
WilberM3 Dork
3/16/13 11:36 a.m.

i think i'd want a wrangler or a defender for a DD if i lived in hawaii, of course i say that without having been to hawaii

cdowd
cdowd Reader
3/16/13 11:36 a.m.

I would think a jeep wrangler would fit the bill well. we rented one in Maui years ago. gives the convertible as well as 4wd capabilities.

Chris

cdowd
cdowd Reader
3/16/13 11:37 a.m.

In reply to WilberM3: you got it in just before me.

Chris

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/16/13 11:39 a.m.

+1 for Wrangler.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 UltraDork
3/16/13 11:40 a.m.

Only one car to have in Hawaii.

fanfoy
fanfoy Reader
3/16/13 11:51 a.m.
fast_eddie_72 wrote: Only one car to have in Hawaii.

I went to Hawaii last October, and there was this asian guy dressed-up as Magnum PI (complete with what looked like a fake mustache) driving around in a clapped-out 328. Hilarious.

Jeep seems to be the vehicle of choice over there.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UberDork
3/16/13 11:59 a.m.

Just remember gas is hellaciously expensive.

So I suggest a Jeep Wrangler.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/16/13 12:10 p.m.

I was there (Maui) last week, and wishing I was driving my Miata instead of a rental Altima. So... Miata! :)

oldtin
oldtin UltraDork
3/16/13 12:12 p.m.

I know several guys running early broncos as everyday transport on the big island.

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/16/13 12:17 p.m.

Yeah 4 cyl Wrangler or tracker would be my vehicle of choice over there.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Reader
3/16/13 12:24 p.m.

Tracker/Sidekick/Samurai seems like it would be better on gas than the Wrangler. No first hand experience though.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/16/13 12:33 p.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: The are also a lot of geo trackers for some reason. Remember a lot of rental cars get shipped over, then sold as used. There are still a bunch of neons on the road. I bet if you go over in a few year there will be a bunch of Chrysler 200s running around.

Geo tracker (AKA Sidekick) is a good suggestion...I was thinking Samurai but they might not be able to hit the highway speed limit and they're toy-sized. A Sidekick has neither of those problems.

EvanR
EvanR HalfDork
3/16/13 12:49 p.m.

erohslc
erohslc HalfDork
3/16/13 1:13 p.m.

Where in Hawaii?
If you get to the big island, check out the old saddle road.
Even in a rented Altima, it was a blast to drive.
And the perimiter road around the outside of the island is a beautiful drive too.

Carter

Nashco
Nashco UltraDork
3/16/13 1:16 p.m.

Um...kind of need more info. Does fuel economy matter? Some islands are smaller than others. Does price matter? Do you want something sporty, fun, offroadable, convertible, unique, attractive, roomy, etc.? Do you need one car that does it all?

If I were in Hawaii, I'd want a Karmann Ghia. And a Westfalia Vanagon. And an electric Smart. And a sport bike. And a Jeep Cherokee. How many parking spots am I allowed in this game?

Bryce

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/16/13 1:18 p.m.

You know, that is close enough to Japan that you could import some really cool JDM stuff via the 25 year rule and not spend a whole lot on shipping. Kei 4x4s, lifted turbodiesel vans, etc...

Suzuki Jimny Turbo 4x4

Mitsubishi Delica Super Van 4x4

Dallas944
Dallas944 New Reader
3/16/13 2:13 p.m.

I will be at Schofield Barracks on Oahu. Fuel economy isn't a priority, and I want to keep it under $15,000. I was thinking about an S2000, a miata, a wrangler or a boxster. The Army will pay to ship it out for me, so that cost doesn't really matter.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UberDork
3/16/13 2:22 p.m.

In reply to Dallas944:

I would still look at Wranglers if you are an outdoor type of person. There are several 4x4 only trails around Oahu (i have been told), which could expand your view of the island.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UberDork
3/16/13 2:31 p.m.

No help from me but the daughter bought a ukulele today so my house sounds like Hawaii.

Raze
Raze UltraDork
3/16/13 3:05 p.m.

parts repair and such is tough, and as mentioned gas is killer, however that being said, i'd go with something easily available via the rental fleets like a wrangler or a convertible mustang, you can't go wrong with either. Depends on which island you're on for sure, but those would be my choices.

Tralfaz
Tralfaz New Reader
3/16/13 3:24 p.m.

A wrangler will be a good choice there are a lot of 'B' roads that are best with AWD.

Consider an older model as the newer ones are everywhere as they are a popular rental and a target for thieves (stuff inside more so than the car). Maybe a nice CJ. It rains in some capacity nearly everyday, usually just a quick shower so consider that as well.

Lucky Dog

T

JeffHarbert
JeffHarbert GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/16/13 3:34 p.m.

WRX.

calteg
calteg Reader
3/16/13 3:49 p.m.

In maui a few months ago, Tacomas were EVERYWHERE

Armitage
Armitage Reader
3/16/13 3:51 p.m.

Traffic in Honolulu can be pretty awful, the roads aren't so great in general and the speed limit even on the highway is low. Wouldn't worry about how fast your car of choice is but I like the convertible idea.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ATC71oqXua0l7Wk6UnLWQqI8Ffh6x2Ic5CtWQQhkAcJHkU1KEgLndr9PZ2zgMfRQ