1 2
mw
mw Dork
3/16/13 4:17 p.m.

I've never seen as many lifted Toyotas as I have in Hawaii. I assume there's a reason. I saw a nice miata with a rollbar and bikini top. That would.probably be my car of choice if I lived in one of the dry areas.

Dallas944
Dallas944 New Reader
3/16/13 4:22 p.m.

Also, my wife just got a front wheel drive jeep patriot because we thought we were going to live someplace else. Is this a good car for Hawaii?

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
3/16/13 4:36 p.m.

Rally Fighter?

iceracer
iceracer UberDork
3/16/13 4:54 p.m.
Dallas944 wrote: Also, my wife just got a front wheel drive jeep patriot because we thought we were going to live someplace else. Is this a good car for Hawaii?

Sure !

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
3/16/13 4:58 p.m.

I think the Tracker/Sidekick, Wrangler, Cherokee XJ, early Bronco or Range/Land Rover sounds like a good way to go. Of course a Miata, S2000 or Boxster sounds good too. Then again even a nice mountain bike also sounds wonderful in Hawaii.

Dallas944
Dallas944 New Reader
3/16/13 5:21 p.m.

In reply to JeffHarbert: I was looking at WRX's before I knew I was going to Hawaii, would it have the ground clearance for the 4WD trails?

JeffHarbert
JeffHarbert GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/16/13 5:25 p.m.

In reply to Dallas944:

Probably not, but that's why we have Forester strut swaps.

LopRacer
LopRacer HalfDork
3/16/13 5:45 p.m.

Miata or Wrx unless you plan to hit the trails regularly, I know there are wranglers everywhere there so if you buy one make it look less like a rental. By far the best experience's I had in Hawaii were driving around in my dad's old 87 Subie wagon. Everyone treated me as a local in that car, Wranglers tend to scream Tourist. I got a different response driving the Mini van he rented for our visit. Not unfriendly mind you just different.

Driven5
Driven5 New Reader
3/16/13 6:17 p.m.

Only having visited Hawaii as a tourist renting a Jeep...I personally would not get a Wrangler as a daily driver. Sure I was pleasantly surprised with it in many ways, and really enjoyed the experience for the time we had it as a toy. We ended up using it most of the time in the semi-bikini mode with the top up and all of the windows removed. But there is a reason that a stock Wrangler screams 'tourist'. That's because it appears the only locals who really own them are actual Jeep enthusiasts who have modded theirs for trail duty rather than just pulling into the gravel lot at the beach. If you never really planned to drive it with more than a bikini top and were just willing to get a bit wet if it rained...Then it would be great. But otherwise for daily use operating the tent-like top continuously would get old fast. However either way, you still would never be able to leave it parked with anything of value in it.

Meanwhile, I very much enjoyed daily driving a Miata in Green Bay WI. Since I'm not much of an off-road enthusiast, I would imagine it to be even better yet in Hawaii...Although ideally with a zip down rear window or some kind of bikini top, as the sun can get pretty intense there too.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 SuperDork
3/16/13 8:14 p.m.

I"m going to Wheeler Army Airfield next week for work. My 3rd time there. I was last there during the tsunami. My thoughts on vehicle there are you won't need a fast vehicle as what has been said about traffic and speed limits are very true. Other than that, anything you want to bring will work just fine. There is a small autocross scene there but rallycross is bigger. 'verts aren't a bad idea as long as there is a working top, rains there. A lot. Something that can carry the surfboards/scuba gear you'll likely get into there would be nice. Believe that is why Jeeps are kinda poplular. Open and still can carry the gear and get to where you can use them.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork
3/16/13 8:33 p.m.

I lived there for four years- you'll find better deals from army/navy leaving the island than anything you can bring there. Check CL often. I passed on a 74 Norton Commando for $4500, a 98 M3 sedan for 8500 (mint with <100k in 2008), etc. Military people like cars, and there are a lot of military people there.

So what would I buy if I were going back?- MIata PRHT, Zo6, S2000, M3 etc. Anything fun. You don't have to drive further than 25 miles so it doesn't have to be too reliable. There are very few 4wd trails on Oahu, so I wouldn't dick with a jeep unless it's the kind of convertible you want.

viking
viking New Reader
3/17/13 8:39 a.m.

Go with Teh on that. Wait until you get there and ask around on base. Lots of service leaving the Island and selling their wheels cheap at the last minute. My son was stationed there and that is what he had to do. Almost gave away his Gutlass. Just remember the Gov. will ship one back to the states for you. Before you leave find a good car and ship it back. Found a Chev powered 914 there and when the son left shipped it back to the states on the Gov.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltraDork
3/18/13 12:09 p.m.

2 wheels would be my daily. Perfect riding weather 365 days a year? Yes please.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/18/13 1:11 p.m.
SlickDizzy wrote: You know, that is close enough to Japan that you could import some really cool JDM stuff via the 25 year rule and not spend a whole lot on shipping. Kei 4x4s, lifted turbodiesel vans, etc... Suzuki Jimny Turbo 4x4

for the same price as importing a Jimmy you could build a Turbo Samurai or tracker. G16b plus turbo isnt that expensive to do other than the manifold. Or even one with a VW 1.9TD for the same price.

erohslc
erohslc HalfDork
3/18/13 7:31 p.m.
Armitage wrote: Traffic in Honolulu can be pretty awful, the roads aren't so great in general and the speed limit even on the highway is low. Wouldn't worry about how fast your car of choice is but I like the convertible idea.

Add to that the motorcycle cops are VERY aggressive.
So an 'invisible' car can be an asset (think Beige Camry with a great A/C and sound system).

Carter

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cLC1GpqTSiuKtctXwCjVAfkWxA2EbMuQjMwl8iO5eoZhmqBZsjkPK9hPWmHIQ7Hz