5ev3n
5ev3n New Reader
2/10/11 8:20 a.m.

Hey gents and ladies... I was just cruising through craigslist and found this. I'm not in the market for one, but I used to have one, and I know they are often sought after in the GRM scene.

Mazda Miata with turbo.

mw
mw HalfDork
2/10/11 8:47 a.m.

I wonder what he paid to get a 'close ratio 5 speed'?

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/10/11 9:24 a.m.

In reply to mw:

Creative marketing isn't limited to the big companies.

dculberson
dculberson Reader
2/10/11 9:46 a.m.

I also wonder where he found a 96hp stock Miata? Short a few there, dude! Maybe they escaped out the hole in the piston.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
2/10/11 9:48 a.m.

That turbo setup gives me the willies.

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/10/11 9:52 a.m.

Damn, right up the street from where I live...good thing I have no extra funds, and he's asking way too much.

mistanfo
mistanfo SuperDork
2/10/11 11:03 a.m.

Wow! The SCCA makes rollbars!

mistanfo
mistanfo SuperDork
2/10/11 11:04 a.m.

Also, shouldn't this be under the Classifieds section? IF it were less than $20xx?

I hereby call canoe...

dculberson
dculberson Reader
2/10/11 11:04 a.m.

Also, 5-point harness in a convertible without a cage is a horrible idea. Horrible.

psteav
psteav GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/10/11 5:57 p.m.
dculberson wrote: I also wonder where he found a 96hp stock Miata? Short a few there, dude! Maybe they escaped out the hole in the piston.

To the wheels, that car would have made about ~93 hp stock.

Course, there's NFW that thing makes 225 hp now, with no intercooler.

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/2/11 5:37 p.m.

So I just saw this car in person. I ran into the seller at the carwash. The car is a project. However, its rust free.

It has a bit of damage at the LR corner. The hood is slightly misaligned. Tires are dry rotted. Paint is flaking. Lots of oil around the engine bay. Interior will clean up nicely i think, but it is dirty. Has a wood grain kit that needs to go. Water leaks in the trunk. The rollbar was sketchy and the harness mounting made me cringe. Aftermarket springs and anti-roll bars (blue), but stock shocks. Probably an open diff, or worn out LSD. He claims he has holed the piston, however, it seemed to run OK driving in the parking lot, just sounded a bit rough and a bit of oil smoke. He claimed about 25K miles on a replacement engine (it appears to be an early engine because the head had the diamond pattern cast in it). Needs a lot of maintenance.

On the plus side:

Intercooled. The manifold looked good. I do not know who made the kit. It had a big turbo (but oil around it). It has a new top. It had aftermarket brakes with 2 piece rotors at all 4 corners. I don't know the make, but they were big. 2 or 4 piston front calipers (he said he thought they were Brembo). I valued the car between $1500 - $2000 maximum (mainly that it was a rust free Miata in MI). It would bring less down south. It has 83K showing on the odometer.

It looks to be a B package.

The guy said the previous owner turboed and modified it when new and put over $40K into it (his words, not mine )

FYI. I'm not in a position to buy it, but if anyone wants me to take a closer look at it, let me know.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Utd8MWAH0nLwSf74yN63tDQX2jjABpWgWgDZJ31x8K5BbemjLonR5GJ62lwxq4jR