1 2
bluebarchetta
bluebarchetta Reader
11/15/22 11:25 a.m.

If you're driving modern street cars - not dedicated race cars - don't turn off the traction control or other driver aids until/unless you feel completely comfortable with the car(s) and the track.  I am 100% comfortable with my 2300lb, 116hp Miata, but when my buddy let me try his 3900lb, 550hp Shelby GT500 for what it would do, I left the driver aids on and I know they saved my bacon at least once.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
11/16/22 9:27 a.m.

I got a little caught up in my work yesterday, but as I'm catching up with all your comments, the advice you are all offering is helping–especially as someone who gets super nervous ahead of any big event (I haven't slept particularly well this week and my anxiety feels like it's going through the roof).

I'm trying to remind myself that this test on Friday is much more of a scene experiment than a competition. No matter the outcome, it should make for some great editorial. smiley

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
11/16/22 11:47 a.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

I started racing motorcyles in 1986; I would have to eat a huge dinner because I couldn't keep breakfast down. I would eat a handful of grapes in the morning, then maybe a small snack at lunch.

Flash forward 36 years; I can eat breakfast after the first session. 

I'm doing a track day Saturday..........I'll pretty much be keyed up from today until after the first session of the day.

A friend of mine who's been racing for 50 years tells me if you don't have butterflies you should stop because it means you don't care. 

ChrisTropea
ChrisTropea Associate Editor
11/16/22 12:14 p.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

All the advice is helping me too although I am still nervous. 

Good news for you is you'll be able to ask advice on Friday unlike me, but I am excited to see what we both learn a the end of the day. 

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
11/18/22 11:10 a.m.

Happy to report I survived my first time on track. Really good learning experience and glad I didn't spin (yet).

Excited to head back out. I can definitely tell there's more to be wrung out of the car, but I'm going to keep focusing on perfecting my technique.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/18/22 11:20 a.m.
Colin Wood said:

Happy to report I survived my first time on track. Really good learning experience and glad I didn't spin (yet).

Excited to head back out. I can definitely tell there's more to be wrung out of the car, but I'm going to keep focusing on perfecting my technique.

Rock on, Colin. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4QhvkICjSMP3qvQXX8hLRP9gsKGzXW7n2X4kYTDPTyxFQ3BnLi1DWqd9EpvFhRus