1 2
egoman
egoman New Reader
4/13/13 11:28 p.m.

Nobody mentioned divorce. when I brought home the Europa it went immediately into the wifes spot . Just another option.

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/14/13 7:08 a.m.

I dont have any ideas for you, but your pictures are giving me ideas for my garage. You are better organized than me by a long shot

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UberDork
4/14/13 7:30 a.m.

I have the same issue with my wife and garage. I seasonally rotate stuff into the attic and basement. Is that a red stripe you wife can't cross?

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/14/13 7:33 a.m.

Damn dude! I am so embarrassed at how "untidy" my garage is.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
4/14/13 7:37 a.m.

What's on that shelf -thing beneath the overhead door? Why not construct a shelf above the door, if there is a foot or two gap. You could suspend it from the roof/ceiling joists and use it for flat stuff, like tires. Then use your current tire storage for something else.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/14/13 8:15 a.m.

I'm usually short on space too. I picked up a couple of rolling shelves from Sam's. They are parked next to each other and one of them holds plastic bins for holding small stuff. The bins you can catch on sale at Home Depot for about $5. I just picked up 10 more of them. Banker boxes work pretty good too. If you can get all your storage containers the same size you can stack them tighter. Anything that doesn't stack well needs to be boxed and labeled. The shelf over the bench could be stacked to the ceiling. I have about gotten to the point that I box and label everything, other wise I'm looking through piles on a shelf.

You could also run them down the middle of the garage between the cars. Then when you have a project, you push them off to the side, out of the way. Anything big or heavy, put wheels under it. I even have my lathe, mill and bandsaw mounted on casters. Mobility is a good thing when you are short on space because you can park stuff tighter and roll it out to use it.

BTW you shop is way too neat. Now I'm going to have to go clean mine.

McTinkerson
McTinkerson New Reader
4/14/13 8:57 a.m.

Another option since you mentioned you had 2' above the garage door when it's open is to rig up a 1.5' tall storage container/box that can be lowered to the floor via a cheap HF winch. If the door opener track is centred then you could have two. Both "boxes" combined could have 80% of the surface area of the garage door. You won't be able to store any tall items, but it should be able to be done cheap enough.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/14/13 8:59 a.m.

You could also move your 'overhead' lights to the underside of the shelves.

fritzsch
fritzsch HalfDork
4/14/13 9:23 a.m.

Off the wall idea, do you have a step or two going from the house into your garage? What if you pulled up the board that forms the step, then reattach it with hinges and a clasp. You could use the empty space underneath to store things?

ronholm
ronholm HalfDork
4/14/13 9:31 a.m.
914Driver wrote: Damn dude! I am so embarrassed at how "untidy" my garage is.

This is what I was thinking. I have a bigger shop and still find myself fighting for space with comparatively less stuff

This is embarrassing.

irish44j
irish44j UltraDork
4/14/13 11:55 a.m.
Datsun310Guy wrote: I have the same issue with my wife and garage. I seasonally rotate stuff into the attic and basement. Is that a red stripe you wife can't cross?

ideed. She used to occasionally pull in and I'd be like "um.....why are you 3 feet from the wall in the middle of the garage?" and so I put the line there. She's been a good sport about it, to her credit :)

irish44j
irish44j UltraDork
4/14/13 12:00 p.m.

just so you don't feel too bad.....this is what it looked like a week ago. It's only clean and organized immediately after I clean an organize it. Within a week it's a disaster area again...

photo IMG_2757.jpg

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fUOVB3DodKsogHhEu8BrxuwIjW1IEUtEXZiIc4Nrv0LKwl1DZVQxv2Vps0MPfPbw