1 2 3 4 5 6 7
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/2/23 11:44 a.m.
GIRTHQUAKE said:

In reply to SV reX :

Where are you finding the hospital shelves?

hospitals

clownkiller
clownkiller Dork
5/2/23 12:25 p.m.

I might use these led lights when I build. I have 8' 2 bulb fixtures that I could convert to led easily.  Have you decided on lighting yet?

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
5/2/23 12:43 p.m.

In reply to clownkiller :

I have not decided yet, but those are good options. I've got some salvaged 4' LEDs that I could use for under the loft, but those UFOs would be better in the high bays 

clownkiller
clownkiller Dork
5/2/23 2:01 p.m.

8' converted to led are brighter than originals.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/3/23 2:24 p.m.

In reply to SV reX :

It looks like a Google search for "used commercial furniture" will bring up stores in your area. "office furniture liquidators" might also work. 

Speaking of used furniture.  I find that if you are dismantling a car for restoration, these rolling racks provide a lot of storage for all the small pieces.  (trays currently upside down to not collect rain)

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
6/9/23 9:34 p.m.

After pushing back on some of you regarding floor coatings, I decided you were right. I made the decision to add an epoxy floor coating. 

One of my hesitancies in considering doing it was I expected it would add a lot of time. Unfortunately, I was right. I had to empty the building completely, pressure wash, acid etch, triple wash, prime, let cure 3 days, recoat, and allow to full cure 7 days before use. Add a few rain days and basic stuff of life, and I lost a lot of time. 

That's ok. I don't have regrets. 

I blow torched the floor to burn off the hairs from the fiber reinforcing:

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
6/9/23 9:37 p.m.

Pressure washing complete:

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
6/9/23 9:37 p.m.

Primer complete. They mis-mixed the paint, so I had 2 colors of primer:

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
6/9/23 9:40 p.m.

Final epoxy... looks great!!

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE SuperDork
6/10/23 10:34 a.m.

In reply to SV reX :

Hell yeah dude! The prep work for it is SUCH a bitch lol laugh

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
6/10/23 10:56 a.m.
SV reX said:

Final epoxy... looks great!!

Several years from now, the pain of all that prep work will have faded, and all that will remain is that awesome floor.  At that moment, you'll thank past you for making a wise choice. 

Floor looks great  yes

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/10/23 10:58 a.m.

I wanted to burn my garages down, now I'm mildly less frustrated with them after seeing what you are doing. My insurance company, wife and I all thank you.

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
6/11/23 9:41 a.m.

That floor looks great!  I wish the epoxy coating in my garage were still in perfect shape like that...  Unfortunately it came to us with some wear spots and damage (although a good portion of the floor is still fine). 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
6/11/23 10:17 a.m.

Got the windows set...

They give me plenty of ventilation (up high where I want it), and a little view of sky 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/11/23 10:19 a.m.

In reply to SV reX :

That's a really nice space you've got going together there.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
6/11/23 10:34 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Thank you. 

It's kinda what I do. I was at a party at a friend's house last night. He had a super cool VERY rustic pole barn hang out space in the middle of 220 acres.  More like a horse stable than an engineered pole barn like mine.  We cooked some crawfish, drank some beer, and watched the game. As much as I loved his place, I realized I could never build it. Part of its charm was its rustic nature, which meant everything was crooked. Drastically. I kept looking at it and thinking that every time I picked up a beam or a piece of wood or metal, I'd grab a level and make sure it was done "right".  And it would lose ALL of its rustic charm. 

I guess we all have different gifts.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
6/11/23 12:22 p.m.

My shop is becoming very popular in the neighborhood. I had 4 different people yesterday ask me how much I would charge to build them something similar!

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
6/11/23 7:38 p.m.
SV reX said:

My shop is becoming very popular in the neighborhood. I had 4 different people yesterday ask me how much I would charge to build them something similar!

Only two plus hours away.....need a hired hand ?

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
6/11/23 7:58 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

Haha!  I might!

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/12/23 1:36 p.m.

That looks great! Well done!

untchabl
untchabl HalfDork
6/13/23 1:31 p.m.
SV reX said:

Wish you were closer to me. From the price you said that your shop cost to have erected, I'd gladly pay you to put mine up. 

Best price I've got locally is $14,800 for a 40x60 pole barn or $16,800 for a 30x60 with 20x60 lean to. And those quotes are only labor, no materials, on an open pole barn (no walls or concrete).

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
6/13/23 2:46 p.m.

In reply to untchabl :

Those are pretty high. I could definitely do better (and might consider NC)

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/13/23 3:08 p.m.

Shop is looking good! 

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/13/23 3:52 p.m.
SV reX said:

In reply to untchabl :

Those are pretty high. I could definitely do better (and might consider NC)

Not joking, could you buy a travel trailer and do this as a part time gig? Agree to put one up for people only as often as you like? You could stay onsite and knock it out pretty quickly I bet. 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iG6lAtopguhltScFaqNq4QQbz1p2n4ih71cDWYgcmGWidhuecyj9xRKg2OXROOSG