KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
2/7/20 8:03 a.m.

So my sister asks my advice year after year, I give my car advice and she ignores it. Classic askhole but I feel the need each time she asks to help.  

Her latest ride is a 2009 Audi A5.  Super cute car that pushed all her buttons (coupe, sexy, frameless windows, nice).  Unfortunately she met a coyote last month and damaged the left front.  Catastrophically high repair costs and a damaged airbag sensor means that the car is "totaled" and she has a check for just over 8 grand to buy something new.

First of all, is there anything better for bigger sporty GT coupe that can seat real people in the back while feeling "nice", preferably a manual shift, seems to prefer FWD/AWD, bonus points for highly reliable.  My best guess is an Accord coupe. 

Second, is anyone interested in the A5?  I can get pics but she can buy it back from the insurance company for just under $2000 so if anyone wants it for that she could make a hundred bucks and save it from the wrecking yard.  It needs a bumper skin and the headlight bracket is broken.  Astonishingly minor damage to total a car out.  150,000 miles, new tires, new brakes.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
2/7/20 8:04 a.m.

the picture she sent me.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
2/7/20 8:45 a.m.

Dodge Challenger? $8000 could get a decent V6 model, and they have a bit more back seat than a Mustang or Camaro.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/7/20 8:46 a.m.

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) :

She never listens to you so tell her to get a Suburban. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/7/20 9:04 a.m.

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) :

I like salvage cars but 150k Audis scare me. 

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
2/7/20 9:05 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

She already has a Sequoia.  I recommended it years ago and she bought a Santa Fe, 4-Runner, RX-400 and another 4-Runner before realizing that bigger is better for towing. 

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
2/7/20 9:07 a.m.

In reply to MadScientistMatt :

Too "redneck".  She likes import sexy, not "murica muscle car".

spandak
spandak HalfDork
2/7/20 9:12 a.m.

Mercedes makes some cars that fit the description but I don't know if they will meet the price. A friend of mine had a CLK 350, it was auto and RWD but it was nice and comfortable and survived at least 30k of ABUSE from her. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
2/7/20 11:36 a.m.

I might be interested in the a5; where is it? How fast would it need to be gone?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/7/20 11:40 a.m.

In reply to dculberson :

Probably a very good choice for you. 

For the heck of it, I searched car-part.com for a front bumper cover. Not many available and $600 to $1000 for the few out there.  Other parts must be similarly in short supply.

If the A5 is fwd, there might be a tow dolly down there that needs to come up to Ohio.  Ask KY-Jeremy about that

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
2/7/20 12:26 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

The car would need to be gone (paid for, I can sit on it as long as needed for pick up) this month at the latest.  It's totally drivable as-is.  It's in Lexington KY.

It's a quattro car.  Can't be tow dollied.

email me armstrong390 at the yahoo place if you want to know more.

Matt B
Matt B UltraDork
2/7/20 2:12 p.m.

G37x Coupe?  Some of them are in that price range.  There's a black one in Asheville for sale right now.

Linky

Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
2/7/20 3:29 p.m.

There's a bumper cover in fair shape for $330 in California listed on eBay (plus $80 shipping here), but I don't know if the one on the car is missing any parts that this one would need.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
2/7/20 3:49 p.m.

My stepson has a car just like that.  Even the same color.  He ran off the road a few weeks ago.  I haven't heard any of the details, thankfully, but if they'll total that car for a bumper cover, oh well.  I told him to buy a Toyota/Lexus.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/7/20 3:53 p.m.

If she liked the current A5, why not another one?

On the airbag thing, if it damaged the harness leading to the sensor, then that's probably why it's totalled.  My understanding is that many manufacturers will not sanction repairing an airbag wiring harness, it needs to be replaced to meet the safety standards.  That's a huge amount of labor, so it often totals cars.

berettaman
berettaman New Reader
2/7/20 8:54 p.m.

Try the top of the line V6 Camry.  300 hp, a real transmission, leather, great build quality and light years more reliable than an Audi.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/7/20 9:01 p.m.

What motor does the car have?  I may be interested in this car if others in front of me bail out.  I would have to have it shipped up to me but it still may be worth it.  I am going to go look at what these go for locally. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/7/20 9:07 p.m.

I just looked at what those cars are selling for and you can get comparable cars with less than 100k for 8k listed on car gurus. If they gave her 8k for hers at 150k she did very well. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
h8vre5bsYus9nOt9Aa2OG4wXHbBMVXG3foYNPd2EUWMVgFZhxcNSLRWCMrJoQvfS