dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/9/13 2:30 p.m.

I rented one years back and both my wife and I liked it very much. Spin forward to yesterday and I found one for sale. A 07 with 54K for $9K

I have heard nothing about these good or bad. Any incite from the GRM collective on these?

Thanks!!!

Dean

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Dork
10/9/13 2:54 p.m.

Is it the Freestar or the Windstar that has catastrophic rust issues?

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/9/13 3:53 p.m.
eastsidemav wrote: Is it the Freestar or the Windstar that has catastrophic rust issues?

First one, then the other.

Seriously though to the OP: Yes, they have catostrophic rust issues. Ford actually had to pull a Toyota and buy a bunch of them back. Also the transmissions go kablooey.

Look more towards Mazda MPV, KIA Sedona, and Dodge Caravan/Chrysler T&C. Avoid the Oddessy (major trans issues).

fanfoy
fanfoy HalfDork
10/9/13 4:16 p.m.

Like everyone else said, rust issues. Apparently the later Freestar's don't have a transmission problems (yet???). But 9K seems like a LOT of money for a Freestar. The most expensive one locally is 7.5K, with most of them around 5-6K.

rambler68
rambler68 New Reader
10/9/13 10:06 p.m.

Actually there was a recall involving Freestar transmissions right about the time I got rid of mine at 146K (fortunately with no tranny issues - my brother-in-law is still driving it and added about 30K more). Rust, on the other hand...key spots are right behind the sliding doors and lower parts of the front doors. Also, had lots of stuff getting trapped behind the rear wheels (and in a typical Wisconsin winter, that means a lot of salty snow to create more rust). Mileage was abysmal on mine; average was about 19 MPG (mostly highway driving) with the 4.2 V6. I also found it very noisy and unrefined, especially compared to my '95 Grand Caravan that preceded it. Actually, my in-laws '03 Windstar seemed to be a better ride than the Freestar; I took it off their hands after they bought a newer car and it seems to be OK; a little better on gas at 22 MPG. Still would recommend a Grand Caravan, T & C, or Sienna. Agree with Javelin on the Odyssey; I see quite a few for sale with tranny problems or had a tranny replaced.

JFX001
JFX001 UltraDork
10/9/13 10:28 p.m.

Our '03 Odyssey has 110K on it without any transmission problems...

Otherwise, I would skip the Freestar...many different and better options out there.

NGTD
NGTD Dork
10/9/13 11:45 p.m.
eastsidemav wrote: Is it the Freestar or the Windstar that has catastrophic rust issues?

Windstar

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Py4ZTmVFz1w5qqaiaymtG0AEnL6F9rrPGIGMSoqN8X6bNl6FAnYXPOta2wQA4dlZ