1 2
golfduke
golfduke HalfDork
12/9/16 7:30 a.m.

I had about 45 minutes of alone time last night, so I decided to do a couple small things. I oiled the cylinder walls on the spare motor to prevent any potential surface rusting issues, and cleaned the block/oil pan. That took a couple minutes.

Then I had the desire to completely strip the blown up motor completely. This was a little bit of a berkeleying bitch honestly. Rod bearings looked excellent for having 235k on them. Pretty unbelievable actually. Main bearings also looked pretty nice. They are both definitely worn, but there is no copper showing anywhere.

The only thing of note during teardown is when I removed the main bolts between cyl 5-6, the most disgusting, grotesque smell instantly filled the garage, followed by an almost purple/black oil-like mixture. No signs of seizing and the bearings looked great, but definitely VERY different from the other main bolts. Wierd...?

Anyway, rear main seal and front crank seal were both worn but not leaking, strangely enough. The valve cover SUCKS to remove with the crank still in the block. The crank bolt holding the pulley flange is red loc-tited from the factory and is torqued to 325ft-lb. I couldn't loosen it with the crank still in the block, so I did the next best thing- Removed the crank with the cover still on, haha. It required some fanagling, but it came out without issue.

Then I tackled the crank bolt on the bench. If anyone ever cares to know, or knows someone struggling with it, it was actually super simple-

• Place the crank on blocks of wood to prevent damage and install 2 flywheel bolts (fully threaded!) into 2 adjacent holes.
  • Take a 3' prybar and jam it between the flywheel bolts in the right orientation to bind the crank while removing.
  • Ratchet strap the prybar down to the table.
  • Grab breaker bar, 22mm impact socket, and 4' of black steel pipe
  • lean on that MF'er until it breaks loose.

Worked like a charm!

The block is almost completely stripped. I'm going to transfer over all bolts and brackets this weekend to the spare engine, and after that I can decide whether to try and salvage it with a ghetto hone, make a table out of it, or scrap it... Anyone know if there's a market for a good condition S52 crankshaft???

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pS6YphMWRl7ceaPNMp1flBEkRFCRbliBaRJJQsa4v8hDdsZe0dCslqawUTqp6piL