1 2 3
jrw1621
jrw1621 PowerDork
7/2/12 4:48 p.m.

Chrysler Crossfire? It's an odd choice.

mthomson22
mthomson22 Reader
7/2/12 5:07 p.m.

Guys, The C4 holds some promise, but lack of chair stowage would be a deal killer. I've been checking the bay for good pics, and the sills look very manageable.

That crazy little Spit looks...well...intimidating.

Now the Crossfire is something I have 'familially' considered. I posted here expressing some opinions on the SLK 230 line - which met with harsh criticism as a secretary's car. However they still hold some personal interest.....

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
7/2/12 5:09 p.m.

I have heard the Crossfire SRT6 is a decent car.

oldtin
oldtin SuperDork
7/2/12 5:20 p.m.

What about a 944?

Southtexassupra
Southtexassupra
7/2/12 5:34 p.m.

I'm a little biased but...A Celica Supra sounds like it would fit the bill. Or if you want all those creature comforts a MKIII (piggie) Supra is awesome with a targa top, plent of space for a wheel chair plenty of aftermarket, and so smooth as a cruiser. I've had both and as a fairly big man. (6' 340lbs) they are easy for me to get in and out of.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 UltraDork
7/2/12 5:46 p.m.

Have you tried an SW20 MR2? Might work well.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
7/2/12 5:57 p.m.

I love MKIII Supras.

mthomson22
mthomson22 Reader
7/2/12 6:03 p.m.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/3025416149.html hmmm, at that price it could warrant a checking into.

As to the 944. Aren't the automatics to be avoided like STDs? That's what I was told anyway.

MR2s and S13s are still high on the list also.

vern2point3
vern2point3 New Reader
7/2/12 6:17 p.m.
Stealthtercel wrote: I may be completely out to lunch here, but... people seem to complain about Fox Mustangs because they feel they're sitting "on" them instead of "in" them. If I understand you correctly, that's exactly what you are looking for. Have you ever given one a test sit?

Mustang convertible, particularly the Fox bodies. Extra long doors and a low entry height, although I've never made a direct comparison with a Miata.

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
7/2/12 11:46 p.m.

An SRT6 crossfire is more than a decent car imo. It improves upon all the slk230's lameness with a crapload of power, better looks, better handling, and they come automatic and convertible too. Not sure on chair stowage.

Also i have slapped silly an auto RX7 in a street race with a stock dodge dynasty. There is no world where an auto FC rx7 that is still rotary is a good idea.

mtn
mtn PowerDork
7/2/12 11:51 p.m.

Help me out here with how this works with the wheel chair... Do you put it in the trunk then make your way over to the door holding onto the car? Or do you just get in the car and manhandle the wheel chair into the passenger seat?

Just curious, I really have nothing constructive to add to the conversation.

mthomson22
mthomson22 Reader
7/3/12 8:39 a.m.

If I take the chair with me I'll have someone load the wheels in the trunk of the Miata, and they barely fit, then we sit the chair frame in the passenger seat. This is a 2 person affair.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
7/3/12 8:48 a.m.

Have you looked a MKIII Supra?

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/3/12 8:55 a.m.

What about a GM G-Body? (Turbo Regal, Cutlas/442, Malibu/Monte Carlo, Grand Prix) They are old school 2-doors with massive doors and narrow sills, most of them are autos (that are good), and they can be made to handle!

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/3/12 8:59 a.m.
mthomson22 wrote: If I take the chair with me I'll have someone load the wheels in the trunk of the Miata, and they barely fit, then we sit the chair frame in the passenger seat. This is a 2 person affair.

In that case I think a C4 coupe would probably work for you. If you can get the wheels in the trunk of a Miata they'll fit in the trunk of a C4. That trunk is bigger anyway so there is a good chance that it might also hold the frame of the chair itself.

One thing to keep in mind with the earlier C4s is that tires can be a bit of a pain in the neck if you want to stick with OEM sized tires. Last year it was pretty much impossible to get regular tires (which is why ours is running R888s at the moment, even though it never gets tracked or Auto-Xd). The new BFGoodrich gSport Comp-2 is available in the correct size, though. The later C4s with the rounded dash have better tire availability but the choice in OEM still isn't great.

If the budget allows, I'd try to get the newest C4 possible - the 91? onwards ones are slightly nicer inside and a bit more quiet.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/3/12 10:05 a.m.
mthomson22 wrote: http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/3025416149.html hmmm, at that price it could warrant a checking into. As to the 944. Aren't the automatics to be avoided like STDs? That's what I was told anyway. MR2s and S13s are still high on the list also.

The 944 automatic is a VW/Audi-based solution with a rubber coupler behind the engine to connect it to the torque tube and the automatic in the back.

the couplers fail and are expensive to replace.

Otherwise, the automatics are pretty sturdy, just not all that inspiring. I'd look at a 928 or a 944 with a V8 conversion since the extra torque works well with the automatic. :)

Some info on modifying the auto, etc: http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=33585

Good luck on the search!

Javelin
7/3/12 10:13 a.m.

In reply to turboswede:

I don't know about the 928, but I would think the 924/944 body would be too hard for the OP to get and out of. The parking brake is next to the sill, the doors don't open very far, and the seats are low and back deep. I have a hard time getting in and out of them and I have legs.

MattGent
MattGent New Reader
7/3/12 10:23 a.m.

Acura Integra? We had a gsr for years. Tilt wheel, narrow sill, good balance for fwd, relatively low. If I remember right the seat is a couple inches higher than the sill. Gsr seats have nice bolsters.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/3/12 10:48 a.m.
Javelin wrote: In reply to turboswede: I don't know about the 928, but I would think the 924/944 body would be too hard for the OP to get and out of. The parking brake is next to the sill, the doors don't open very far, and the seats are low and back deep. I have a hard time getting in and out of them and I have legs.

I was just in mine, and forgot about the e-brake location. Whoops ;)

Although, if it is adjusted properly, it won't be in the way. It also sounds like the OP prefers to be "in" the car, not "on" it.

Ultimately, I was speaking to the Auto and saying it isn't the end of the world. I'll leave it to the OP to determine if the car works.

mthomson22: If there are any measurements you'd like, I could take some from a couple of 924/944's, but ultimately it would make sense to try one on yourself if possible.

I like the MR2 idea, though the trunk space may not be as spacious.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin SuperDork
7/3/12 11:08 a.m.

I would say the Z32 would meet the seat/height/sill requirements, available with an auto, but... the no-tilt wheel might be a deal-breaker for you.

Images from when mine for sale... not taken to show ease of ingress/egress, but might give you an idea:

FWIW, I had that car before my S2000. Despite being a small car (dimensionally, it is the exact same size as the BRZ/FRS), it was 412390857198345712908 times easier to get in and out of than the S2000 is.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UberDork
7/3/12 12:32 p.m.

If considering a Camaro, try a Mustang as well. They have very different approaches to Ergo. (Mustang is more upright) (possible bonus with ponycar, the 2 door 4 seat may allow you to self-stow the chair in the back seat area)

In all honesty, its been awhile since I got in a Mustang with stock-ish seating.

As far as wheelchair access, I think about any mustang would do it, but with a bonus to the 87-93 hatchbacks. The 94-04's have a good size trunk with what might be a tricky opening for that job. Still worth a try though.

If its gotta be an Auto, try some V8's. The auto trans requires power to run and what is a non-issue to a larger displacement motor takes the fun out of a smaller one.

Side option that is kinda an easy one.. what about a Subaru Impreza or WRX wagon? even the sedan has a super-large trunk. The wagon could probably stow a non-folded chair.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Reader
7/3/12 12:42 p.m.

a good frind of mine is paralized from the waist down. his daily is a sn95 chassis cobra convertable, with mods and hand controls. he actually gets into it easily, pulls the wheels off his chair, throws them in the cback seat, then puts the frame in the passengers seat. unless the top is down, in which case he puts it in the back. he cant finagle it between the top and headrests wityh the top up. may be woth looking into. also, i second the g-bodies. earlier examples were availible with swivel buckets, and they can be made to handle like a go cart with SIMPLE bolt ons. like tall ball joints, tube UCA's, a z28 steering box, hotchkis spri\ngs, bilstein shocks, and good sway bars.

michael

mthomson22
mthomson22 Reader
7/3/12 1:19 p.m.

Thanks for the excellent suggestions guys. I'm combing CL now, instead of working and am accumulating a list of candidates to check out tomorrow on the 4th.

I hadn't considered G-bodies, so that's a new and interesting avenue, along with Z32's.

Javelin
7/3/12 1:33 p.m.

I totally forgot about the swivel buckets!

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt SuperDork
7/3/12 1:48 p.m.
mthomson22 wrote: Guys, The C4 holds some promise, but lack of chair stowage would be a deal killer. I've been checking the bay for good pics, and the sills look very manageable. That crazy little Spit looks...well...intimidating. Now the Crossfire is something I have 'familially' considered. I posted here expressing some opinions on the SLK 230 line - which met with harsh criticism as a secretary's car. However they still hold some personal interest.....

The trunk on the C4 coupe is huge. I've carried a large garbage can in one with plenty of room to spare.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OB2cw8lwsDKkWKoaYvP7kxrQAj4pc32vdxefvYsv8QVDANfjS1NS9SHUNBcrgEMP