1 2 3
glueguy
glueguy GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/1/18 11:38 a.m.
unevolved said:
Klayfish said:

I'd like to see them continue running races like this, but maybe tweak it some.  Personally, I'd like to see them take out the chicanes on the NASCAR oval completely.  Make the cars do 95% of a "regular" lap at Charlotte, then go into the infield and run a true road course.  Or if they're keeping the chicanes, make them tighter, where they have to slow down more. 

As entertaining as that would be, I don't think that would work.  Entry speeds into turn one would be north of 180 mph if they got a full running start from the exit of the infield all the way around...  As bad as that corner was this weekend, it would be straight-up dangerous if they had that much more speed going into a hard 90° turn with zero runoff.

Apparently I'm as old (distinguished?) as Ovid_and_Flem.  This was my favorite stop on the SEDIV SCCA road race circuit in the mid-1990's.  We ran full oval, none of this sissy chicane stuff.  Coming into the tri-oval WFO with a head of steam built up since you exited the infield into NASCAR2, and having to brake and make the left into the infield was terrifying.  And yeah, there was zero run-off back then two.  The course markers were jersey barriers to guide you into the infield.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
10/1/18 11:41 a.m.

I don't get the Camaro learning curve excuse.

The only real difference is the nose of the car.   Maybe Chevy screwed up on the engine.

sergio
sergio Reader
10/1/18 12:31 p.m.

Just watch the Ford teams with the Mustang next year. See if they win as many races as this year. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
10/1/18 1:06 p.m.
iceracer said:

The only real difference is the nose of the car.   Maybe Chevy screwed up on the engine.

Aero.

ross2004
ross2004 Reader
10/1/18 2:12 p.m.
iceracer said:

The car was designed around aero tricks (in the nose...) that were allowed last year but banned for this. The aero balance is off and they've had a hard time fixing it. Hendrick was also late to the game in getting their own in-house laser inspection station.

SaltyDog
SaltyDog HalfDork
10/1/18 4:10 p.m.
sergio said:
SaltyDog said:

Hate to say it, but JJ should be the next one to retire. Two years ago.

I give him a pass this year because of the new Camaro learning curve for the whole team. But if in 2 more years he doesn’t get #8, retire and enjoy your daughters. And if he gets #8 he should retire right after that. About the only other thing to go for would be number of wins and that doesn’t seem to be happening much anymore. 

Certainly not a JJ hater by any means. Besides being a true talent, he's also a class act. 

I would love to see him win his 8th championship.

I hate to see one of the greatest drivers in the sport in this slow, downward spiral that he is in currently. Would have rather seen him retire on top.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
10/1/18 4:14 p.m.
SaltyDog said:
sergio said:
SaltyDog said:

Hate to say it, but JJ should be the next one to retire. Two years ago.

I give him a pass this year because of the new Camaro learning curve for the whole team. But if in 2 more years he doesn’t get #8, retire and enjoy your daughters. And if he gets #8 he should retire right after that. About the only other thing to go for would be number of wins and that doesn’t seem to be happening much anymore. 

Certainly not a JJ hater by any means. Besides being a true talent, he's also a class act. 

I would love to see him win his 8th championship.

I hate to see one of the greatest drivers in the sport in this slow, downward spiral that he is in currently. Would have rather seen him retire on top.

He should have retired in victory lane at Homestead two (three?) years ago after #7.

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh Dork
10/1/18 7:05 p.m.

I wish I hadn't missed it. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
10/1/18 7:52 p.m.

I just watched the finish. Reminds me of v8 super cars. I'm super into it. 

Papabishop
Papabishop Reader
10/1/18 8:05 p.m.

Ive always liked JJ but agree does suck to see him slowly going downhill. If Nascar could do more races like this but with 40 less laps it’d be amazing to watch! Biggest turn off for nascar is howw mannyyy llaapppsss they run tho

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
10/1/18 8:41 p.m.
dean1484 said:
nutherjrfan said:

has directTv.  does not has the motorvation.  Seriously outside of college foosball I honestly could care less if I ever watch another second of 'professional' sports on television and I used to like NASCAR a lot probably still would if it was just racing and a little rubbin' of course.  That might be as much to do with my antipathy to television nowadays however.  The news sucks because it's almost all opinion which I don't mind but keep the two at least in different programming hours. Drama shows have snide little culture/political slights that are unnecessary and well I've always always hated chat shows so even their circle the drain tactics couldn't turn me off any more.  Darn this should be in the rants section. blush

I'll tell y'all what now I'm gonna attend a race next year to make up for my grouchiness especially as they did just send me a free calendar of the tracks after signing up to some service of theirs. angel

Especially as GRC didn't return to D.C. and then E36 M3 the bed. indecision

Could you please tell me what any of this has to do with NASCAR on a Roval?  I tried to follow along but you lost me. 

Some folks just can't pass up an opportunity to poo-poo NASCAR. frown

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
10/2/18 8:21 a.m.
Papabishop said:

Ive always liked JJ but agree does suck to see him slowly going downhill. If Nascar could do more races like this but with 40 less laps it’d be amazing to watch! Biggest turn off for nascar is howw mannyyy llaapppsss they run tho

Gotta give your audience enough time to get drunk.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
10/2/18 3:26 p.m.

In reply to sergio :

They have been running the Mustang in the infinity series for a couple years also the camaro has run too.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
10/2/18 3:33 p.m.

I think Jimmie is in the same slow down as many other great drivers.   richard, mark, matt etc.  They just didn't want to give up.

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
10/4/18 8:07 p.m.
sergio said:

Just watch the Ford teams with the Mustang next year. See if they win as many races as this year. 

One of the complaints about the new Mustang body is it looks too much like the Fusion (even though all the steel is new).  That's not a coincidence.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
goyUzFEJpxrBV6mU1Cv9iVHuzC5bwcyVMg3mye5a0LaqgIKqCvmlzn6QLXOLSjc3