tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
12/29/21 12:29 p.m.

I don't follow it much anymore, but apparently NASCAR is switching basically everything next year:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a38583298/nascars-2022-rule-decision-670-hp-and-a-4-inch-spoiler/

So where are the old engines, transmissions, suspension parts and rear ends? It should all be worthless to them now, and yet the usual suspects don't seem to have fire sales on this type of equipment. Where is it going? How can I get an engine/trans/rear for Tunatruck?

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
12/29/21 12:30 p.m.

Subbed!

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/29/21 1:19 p.m.

It filters down to lower classes or gets wholesaled. I believe that the Gen 5 cars are filtering to Xfinity over the next couple years. 

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/29/21 1:20 p.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

They will likely go to ARCA teams or Charlotte NC area FB marketplace or ebay.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
12/29/21 1:23 p.m.

Hmm, would be nice to get a hold of a road course chassis.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
12/29/21 2:17 p.m.

Just get the TunaTruck on the road as it is. 

Pete

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
12/29/21 2:21 p.m.
NOHOME said:

Just get the TunaTruck on the road as it is. 

Pete

Working on it, see adjacent bedroom remodel threads.

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/29/21 2:45 p.m.

If you do try searching for tube chassis you can try searching for McColl chassis they supply most of NASCAR Canada and they run a number of road courses and I don’t believe most teams have the money for multiple chassis.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
12/29/21 3:21 p.m.

I remember reading about a couple shops in North Carolina that specialize in reselling used NASCAR parts and chassis.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
12/29/21 3:26 p.m.
stuart in mn said:

I remember reading about a couple shops in North Carolina that specialize in reselling used NASCAR parts and chassis.

I read that stuff too, but there are no half price fire sale stuff which I would have hoped in light of the new rules.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
12/29/21 9:32 p.m.

Stock Car Surplus has some goodies.

pirate
pirate Dork
12/30/21 12:04 a.m.

Haven't been there in years but Roush had a store/warehouse in Mooresville NC (north of Charlotte) that sold used/over stock/obsolete parts. Walking around in there was entertaining and I think you could literally build a car with parts found there. Everything from chassis to engines and every component needed to build a car. Much of the stock was new but obsolete to latest rule changes or current technology. Don't know what they might have now. There was another place named 2nd Chance Race Parts that was purchased buy Circle Track Warehouse also in Mooresville. I think there may be a couple others maybe do a Google search for "used NASCAR parts" a lot of the NASCAR teams are located in or close to Mooresville. 

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
12/30/21 11:11 a.m.
tuna55 said:
stuart in mn said:

I read that stuff too, but there are no half price fire sale stuff which I would have hoped in light of the new rules.

The real racing stuff has nothing in common with street stuff. Not even the same mounts etc. stuff that is designed to last a little over 1000 miles at 9000 rpm or greater would be absolutely worthless  stop light to stop light.  
   1/2 price means the parts alone would cost $40,000. Since custom made everything sells new for $80,000.  Add the touches the teams put into an engine  and when they sell those to their development teams the good guy get rid of price is likely in the $35,000 range for an engine.  

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/30/21 11:41 a.m.

So this happened earlier in the week. More details to come. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/30/21 12:00 p.m.

You can read more about JG's odyssey regarding the used stock car in this thread

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Dork
12/30/21 2:04 p.m.

The various arca series,xfinity,vintage road race and other club series etc. Hendricks builds track day cars off the gen 6 I've seen other ex cup cars used for track days aswell.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
12/30/21 2:59 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

You can read more about JG's odyssey regarding the used stock car in this thread

I saw that, but I am more immediately wondering if the newly obsolete stuff will be for sale for cheap. I know that thread, but I cannot recall, how old is that chassis?

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/30/21 3:24 p.m.

Tuna and others, here is the view from one of those working in the series...

The new car (Gen 7, NexGen, whatever other name you may have heard of) will use the existing engines for the near future. Other than that the hardware is all new for the Gen7 cars. The Gen 6 chassis 'COULD' be converted to the support series (Xfinity) but require rework to make that happen.  The other running gear (gearboxes, rear axles, suspension, etc) are all much more adaptable to the support series, but still require some fiddling/adjustments. Most of the support series are already mostly stocked up with there own parts.

The reason you have not seen a flood of parts on the resale market for Cup car parts is multi-faceted: The new car has only just been configured to a point that the drivers think it is acceptable, the teams with the most inventory are transferring some of the stuff to the resellers - who need to inventory and price everything - and the teams are being cautious about unloading everything in case there is a reversion to the Gen 6 car based on the new cars performance. Additionally there is at least a little bit of protection of the design side of things (Intellectual Property), so some items may never see the light of day outside the team shops (more likely to be destroyed and written off as R&D).

Long story-short, the parts will hit the market, but maybe not the really interesting stuff (that would be difficult to use on street cars). The flood that I assumed and probably even mentioned in months past will likely be more of a fast tide change once the new car actually makes it past a few races and there is some confidence  that there will not be a reversal (NASCAR is all in on the new car so I don't expect to revert).

My 2 cents from the inside.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
12/30/21 3:28 p.m.
stafford1500 said:

Tuna and others, here is the view from one of those working in the series...

The new car (Gen 7, NexGen, whatever other name you may have heard of) will use the existing engines for the near future. Other than that the hardware is all new for the Gen7 cars. The Gen 6 chassis 'COULD' be converted to the support series (Xfinity) but require rework to make that happen.  The other running gear (gearboxes, rear axles, suspension, etc) are all much more adaptable to the support series, but still require some fiddling/adjustments. Most of the support series are already mostly stocked up with there own parts.

The reason you have not seen a flood of parts on the resale market for Cup car parts is multi-faceted: The new car has only just been configured to a point that the drivers think it is acceptable, the teams with the most inventory are transferring some of the stuff to the resellers - who need to inventory and price everything - and the teams are being cautious about unloading everything in case there is a reversion to the Gen 6 car based on the new cars performance. Additionally there is at least a little bit of protection of the design side of things (Intellectual Property), so some items may never see the light of day outside the team shops (more likely to be destroyed and written off as R&D).

Long story-short, the parts will hit the market, but maybe not the really interesting stuff (that would be difficult to use on street cars). The flood that I assumed and probably even mentioned in months past will likely be more of a fast tide change once the new car actually makes it past a few races and there is some confidence  that there will not be a reversal (NASCAR is all in on the new car so I don't expect to revert).

My 2 cents from the inside.

Thanks, Steve. Be sure and update us here when you hear otherwise. Or you know, when you hear they want to feature that running gear in a cool old truck to pump up sales.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xl3KXn0Gfb81Xhn5EjLAAns3of77xlufbGFur270G0th2L2DCSonjfQygRPWXB1c