1 2
neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
8/22/09 10:00 p.m.

Do it anyways

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado HalfDork
8/22/09 10:14 p.m.
CLH wrote: I'm still wrangling over it... Here's the story: He bought it three years ago at the annual Western Washington All-British Field Meet here in Seattle and paid $2500 for it. He bought it somewhat on a lark...it was sitting in the sale yard and he told the guy "if it's not sold by the end of the day I'll take it." Well, it didn't sell so he bought it. Since then he's driven it a bit, put a rebuilt tranny in it (a 4spd - it's a '76) and dropped in a new battery. It runs, drives, stops, turns, etc., and it only has the mildest of rust spots - no perforation anywhere, and the strut turrets are solid. He's been trying to convince me for a while to buy the car for what he paid for it, and he and his wife just recently moved to a new house with less garage space (travesty, I know). He now *really* wants to divest himself of it so he can focus on restoring a '48 Triumph 1800 roadster (he has two).

Where's the "holy BMW E36!" smiley?

CLH wrote: The way he was originally talking it seemed that he was ready to just hand it over, but now he's made me a new offer: he'll sign over title, and I can take it and do as I please with it, no cash exchanged. The catch is that if I ever sell it I have to pay him the $2500, regardless of what I sell it for.

As another old guy, I see what he's after. He wants to find a good home for it. I can't recall the url for the thread, but we did have one around here somwhere where we were all discussing letting someone have one of our cars, and then seeing that it was just left to rot.

CLH wrote: If I never sell it, I never pay him. Now, I'm pretty well known for having car A.D.D., so I'm not thinking that this is ultimately a wise agreement to enter into. If I do it, it would really have to be as part of a long-term plan to convert it into a purpose-built auto-x and track car. I don't want to spend time on it to make it a decent DD (it also has no A/C). It would need much help - uprated brakes all around, suspension help, an engine transplant, the works. Some good, crazy, cost-effective thoughts on how to accomplish this transformation may put me over the edge... Chris

The way he seems to feel about the car, it might not be the right one for you. If it was really "free", I'd jump at it..but with all those conditions, I'd let him find somebody that would really keep it. They'll be there, as soon as the economy recovers.

dust
dust
3/17/10 2:20 p.m.

In reply to friedgreencorrado:

If the tr7 is for sale, I would like to know more about it. I have been looking for one in my price range and part of the country for quite some time, and have been kicking myself for selling mine in 1994 every since I did it.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Dork
3/17/10 10:31 p.m.
dust wrote: In reply to friedgreencorrado: If the tr7 is for sale, I would like to know more about it. I have been looking for one in my price range and part of the country for quite some time, and have been kicking myself for selling mine in 1994 every since I did it.

dust, try to send a message/mail to CLH. It seems to be his family's car.

They also seem to be haggling over the price a little bit..

GI_Drewsifer
GI_Drewsifer Reader
3/17/10 10:47 p.m.

Hm, that condition of $2500 regardless of what you sell it for is a tad ridiculous and would make me pass on the car! I could see like, a portion of what you sell it for. But you could get stung on a deal like that.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
c2gM3VKBCOulRxy9YGRQ958S9l9nBiSDU80oUq0a5laJG2Vscmw1CfvdZCImd9LD