ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/19/10 7:13 a.m.

My friend has a dead cell in the battery in her Boxster. The battery looks like a normal lead acid car battery, and there is plenty of room for an off the rack one from a local parts store. I'm thinking an Optima or other AGM type battery may be a good choice. Is there anything special about Boxster batteries I should be aware of before I help her with this?

Rob

iceracer
iceracer HalfDork
3/19/10 9:05 a.m.

A battery is a battery, more or less. I don't think that Porsche volts are any different. As long as the CCA are the same, it fits the battery box and cables can attach, there are a plethora of batteries available. I have heard good and bad on Optima's. Walmart has very good batteries along with Autozone.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/19/10 10:44 a.m.

I always tell people about the Dry Cell Odyessy batteries.. small, lightweight, and still packing the CCAs

EricM
EricM Dork
3/19/10 1:13 p.m.
iceracer wrote: I have heard good and bad on Optima's. Walmart has very good batteries along with Autozone.

+1 On Autozone batteries I have them in my vehicles and in my motorhome.

oldtin
oldtin Reader
3/19/10 1:31 p.m.

There is an interstate battery distribution center near me (they're all over the place). Cosmetic blemish batteries go for $20 - new oem type - my last one had acura markings - outlasted the truck I put it in.

Odyessy are good - optima's don't seem as good since ownership changed.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Dork
3/19/10 3:46 p.m.
oldtin wrote: Odyessy are good -

Not sure where the battery is on a Boxster, but I think you'd be hard pressed to fit Honda's excellent minivan in there.

oldtin
oldtin Reader
3/19/10 4:05 p.m.

Might take a little effort but...

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/19/10 6:54 p.m.

I never understood the hype surrounding the optima... it seems once the ricer crowd discovered that you can colour code your batter to your car or it's accessories.. they are all over.

I actually had a kid on a forum tell me that the Optima was better than the odyessy I have in my car

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/19/10 9:42 p.m.

I'm not absolutely certain about this, but I'm pretty sure that she wants to get that battery out of there before it dies. I believe that there is an electric latch to open whichever end of the Boxster that hides the battery.

Dead Battery = Can't Get to the Dead Battery

Crazy Germans.

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/20/10 7:50 a.m.
Woody wrote: I'm not absolutely certain about this, but I'm pretty sure that she wants to get that battery out of there before it dies. I believe that there is an electric latch to open whichever end of the Boxster that hides the battery. Dead Battery = Can't Get to the Dead Battery Crazy Germans.

You are most correct, Woody. Fortunately we got there in time. The local Canadian Tire had a replacement that looked identical in every way, other than the costly Porsche sticker :)

eg6ajk
eg6ajk New Reader
3/20/10 8:25 a.m.

Hit up your local VW/Audi dealer - same battery but 1/2 the price.

M030
M030 HalfDork
3/20/10 4:23 p.m.

I've had a cheap Wal-Mart battery in my Boxster for two years with no problems. The car even sits dormant in the garage all winter and my cheap battery doesn't go dead.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
n9byBQpyBGg5Jf89KuatwXc2EcERRJnxNTXV5pIfkwAzAk7mBZjKHFPSnmZhdbVR