1 2
sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
3/19/14 7:53 a.m.

Well, from what I can tell, and what my former coworker & his tuning buddy/business partner tell me, there's not much point in doing much with this thing. OBD 1 conversion is out of the question on a budget, since the ECM/TCM are together and I would have no way to control the trans. Basic bolt ons (intake, headers-which would have to be modified since I have AWD) probably won't get me much power, and I don't think I'm going to find a good low mileage used motor for cheap. I think replacing this with a nice 2nd gen CR-V will still be my best bet. That way I get something newer, hopefully lower mileage, and with more power and tuning options (I hear a tune is possible on an auto 2nd gen). Thanks for all the input guys!

beans
beans Dork
3/19/14 11:41 a.m.

K24 CRV head is considered one of the best k-heads, flow wise.

Toyomikey92
Toyomikey92 New Reader
3/19/14 1:33 p.m.

Theres a compression calculator for honda engines just look it up on google. It shows rod stroke ratios/ compression amd everything using different honda parts you select. I would get a b20vtec kit. Gsr head-itr cams-skunk2 intake-dc headers. But you would have to check the calculator for compression results. Or you can just lightly boost it with a sr20det turbocharger. You can make a turbo setup pretty cheaply

Toyomikey92
Toyomikey92 New Reader
3/19/14 1:36 p.m.

Building a honda motor can be done for a pretty cheap price. Just use the calculator- it also has the option of shaving head gasket thickness- your own comp ratios etc. it just shows how the engine would he effected with other oem honda parts

beans
beans Dork
3/19/14 7:30 p.m.

Zeal's calculator isn't terribly accurate. An automatic, b20vtec with ITR cams sounds like a miserable combination of no low end, bad gearing, etc. Especially with a skunk2 intake manifold that only flows well above 7500rpm and a E36 M3 dc header. There's much better, cheaper ways to make that much peak, with a ton more low end.

Toyomikey92
Toyomikey92 New Reader
3/19/14 7:47 p.m.

Didnt know it was automatic. I just figured a b20vtec conversion would help the situation

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/19/14 8:12 p.m.

Honestly I dont think you'll have fun with a mildly warmed over automatic CRV. I would just keep that as an appliance and then get a seperate toy.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
3/20/14 12:05 a.m.

The point wasn't at all for a toy. I just wanted to give the family car a little refresh, lower mileage motor, and a few minor mods to help with power a little (really only for gas mileage sake--it's severely underpowered, so I figured a couple things to help it through the mountains wouldn't hurt). I was thinking efficiency over outright speed. But, I think after all this my decision will still be to look for an 02-06 CR-V and upgrade that way.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
C1aDbXhkSXZG13uq35w8jDJdtDnqJXeMUQaNqjdFoBgRBFbD3UspwuitQt8LVC7J